• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Sig M17 Surplus

NC-K9

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2019
Got all excited yesterday when my FFL called a said they got a Surplus M17 in and it was mine if I wanted it. Well.... Duh!!!

Picked it up and it is in really good shape. Has some holster wear and a bid red 27 on the top. Haha

I planned to shoot it a few times and just put it in the safe a forget about it. Maybe it will be something nice for one of my boys or a grand kid some day.

I was pretty surprised by the "certifate of authenticity". It is just a post card. No serial # or anything on it to connect it to said pistol.

I will say, my partner's duty sidearm is a P320 and the trigger on this gun is better than his.
0110201617~3.jpg
0111201310b~2.jpg
0111201310~2.jpg

Got one of the USMC M45A1 decommissioned NIB.

I plan on shooting mine infrequently.

Not infrequently because Im concerned about value, its just I have other first line choices.

Shocked by prices I see on GunStroker but I doubt those actually sell.

Reactions: Milf Dots
I've seen a couple on armslist and they are asking $1250.... Hahahaha

I paid $740 after tax. I was really surprised they (my dealer) has actually received 3 and they are fairly small shop. I have my name on a list at the big expensive shop that is a Master Sig dealer and I haven't heard a peep outta them.

Reactions: Stevo86
Congratulations on your real deal m17.

M17's are sweet guns. I have had my eyes peeled to swoop up a good deal. Gunbroker prices are a bit ridiculous.

These are the initial run of them. The 2nd batch have black controls. I believe the Army wanted them all to match, so instead of changing out parts, Sig just exchanged them. I believe the new ones are the same as the ones anybody can buy on the street.

Sig-Sauer-P320-M17-320F-9-M17-798681582686.jpg.jpg

These are the initial run of them. The 2nd batch have black controls. I believe the Army wanted them all to match, so instead of changing out parts, Sig just exchanged them. I believe the new ones are the same as the ones anybody can buy on the street.

The military contract pistols, regardless of color of controls, and the m17 Commemorative versions, have a few things the P320-m17 civilian versions don't have- the internal anti-corrosion coating, a slightly different optics plate and sights, slide serrations are a bit different, the slide catch button is slightly bigger, and of course the military markings and codes.

I forgot about the torx screw at the back of the m17 slide for striker access- the p320-m17 doesn't have one.

The early m17s for testing and eval had the coyote controls, then they switched to black controls for the issued pistols.

Last edited:
Reactions: NC-K9
Great info! I knew something about the optics plate was different, but not the rest. Thanks.

You can see the difference in the slide serrations in the 2 pictures I posted.

Your surplus m17 is the cleanest I've seen so far. Fantastic price too.

I have not been impressed with the durability of the finish; but otherwise, I like mine very much. True, the 320 trigger is better, especially in the X series, but the trigger in the M17 and M18 is worlds better than any/every stock Glock I have ever shot.

If you can get an authentic, it is a good gun. If you cannot, the civilian versions are great too, especially if you learned on 1911/P226/M9 and Glocks don't index for shit when shooting under stress. Sure, "old dog, new trick", whatever, shooting is a confidence game.

Since the 320/M-series came out, I haven't shot a single Glock and don't miss them at all.

I've seen a couple on armslist and they are asking $1250.... Hahahaha

I paid $740 after tax. I was really surprised they (my dealer) has actually received 3 and they are fairly small shop. I have my name on a list at the big expensive shop that is a Master Sig dealer and I haven't heard a peep outta them.

Circling back around on this thread since the M17's have been all the rage in the last couple of weeks. NC-K9 is your M17 on the Facebook data list? There is a lot of good information being posted to their group page. $1250 is about the norm on GB these days and even a lot of local retail shops have caught on to the demand for these pistols. I offered a local shop in my area $1,200 and he declined my offer. He had six in stock and still wouldn't budge on his price of $1,395.

Wow! No, I'll have to check it out.
I still haven't heard from the master Sig dealer down the street. Think I'll give them a call.

So much for being a master dealer. They still don't have any. Crazy.

I still need another one for my other son.

Thanks for the link!

Here's mine... box says "Excellent/like new".

View attachment 7261989
All of the boxes are marked Excellent/Like new, with the exception of a couple of days around Thanksgiving and Christmas when someone "forgot" to include those words on the box.

A few with the horizontal blue rack numbers like your have.. have came back with unit history of the 3rd Calvary .

I bought one is the commemorative ones back when they were for sale. I forgot what I paid but it was close to 900 bucks. They are great shooters. Have about 800 rounds through mine. Thought about getting the case to display it but I have a little one at home so all of my guns are put away in safes. I wouldn’t mind having a decommissioned one.

Have any of you guys had problems with the comparative version not cycling certain kinds of 9mm through them? Im about to pick one of the first run commemorative ones up and read that they were only designed to cycle high pressure Ball M889, a 124 gr. FMJ. and am curious if anyone has any info on this. Thanks!

Have any of you guys had problems with the comparative version not cycling certain kinds of 9mm through them? Im about to pick one of the first run commemorative ones up and read that they were only designed to cycle high pressure Ball M889, a 124 gr. FMJ. and am curious if anyone has any info on this. Thanks!

I know a guy that has one and shoots regular 115 through it. Even if that is true though and some people have issues it just uses standard 1911 springs so get on Dawson’s site and order a lighter spring.

Reactions: Billan0317
Install a GrayGuns fat guide rod, use 1911' style flat springs and you can reliably shoot whatever you have available in the moment; easy range changer....shoot your best buddy's ammo!
IMG_4346 copy.JPG
Sig P320 Recoil ISMI Spring Options  copy.jpg
Sig P320 Grip Module Wilson Combat with Gray Guns Curved Trigger GLS HolsterIMG_6288 copy.jpeg

i would of bought one but a lot look like they were dragged behind a vehicle.

Super unpopular opinion here, but outside of the military factor the 320/M17 is a piece of shit from the factory. Trigger is vague and gets hot, bore axis is tall as hell, sights have problems staying in the dovetail with the standalone rear sight slides, and it's milled for a fucking Romeo/DP. I've had two of them, one I poured aftermarket parts into so I could even stand it and still walked away disappointed all things considered. How the shitting fuck this gun won the XM17 project bewilders me to no end, you drop it in the sand once and all kinds of shit migrates up through the trigger opening and into the internals— internals which already look like the handiwork of a 10th grade shop class. If it didn't have the FCU ability to transfer to other frames I never would have looked twice at it. It stands far and above as the least appreciated handgun I've ever owned.

I will say that some of the aftermarket trigger options are fantastic compared to Glock or even M&P options, but other than that I see no redeeming qualities of this platform comparatively. Now the Legion version is a different story and is a decent sidearm in my opinion, because everything you interface with while shooting is different, and it feels like a totally different gun despite the shared inherent caveats.

i would of bought one but a lot look like they were dragged behind a vehicle.

I'd like to add one in poor condition to my stash. I have at least one in every condition other than poor or fair.
Out of the 2100+ on the facebook group.... here is the breakdown of condition:

Very Good 860
Good 436
Excellent 373
Unrated 326
LNIB 81
Fair 42
Poor 5

Super unpopular opinion here, but outside of the military factor the 320/M17 is a piece of shit from the factory. Trigger is vague and gets hot, bore axis is tall as hell, sights have problems staying in the dovetail with the standalone rear sight slides, and it's milled for a fucking Romeo/DP. I've had two of them, one I poured aftermarket parts into so I could even stand it and still walked away disappointed all things considered. How the shitting fuck this gun won the XM17 project bewilders me to no end, you drop it in the sand once and all kinds of shit migrates up through the trigger opening and into the internals— internals which already look like the handiwork of a 10th grade shop class. If it didn't have the FCU ability to transfer to other frames I never would have looked twice at it. It stands far and above as the least appreciated handgun I've ever owned.

I will say that some of the aftermarket trigger options are fantastic compared to Glock or even M&P options, but other than that I see no redeeming qualities of this platform comparatively. Now the Legion version is a different story and is a decent sidearm in my opinion, because everything you interface with while shooting is different, and it feels like a totally different gun despite the shared inherent caveats.

This is one of the most retarded things I’ve ever read.

You say the M17 sucks and the X5 Legion is good, but...

The Legion has the same optics cut as the M17 for the DPP.

The Legion uses the same fucking rear sight plate profile as the M17’s.

The Legion has the same exact bore axis as the M17.

The Legion has the same P320 FCU unit just with a different trigger shoe (that you could put in a M17 FCU), but somehow the M17 trigger gets hot and the Legion doesn’t. LOL.

The Legion uses the same P320 grip modules that the M17 can use but somehow the M17 is a POS that lets sand up through the trigger opening.

You don’t know your ass from a hole in the ground.

This is one of the most retarded things I’ve ever read.

You say the M17 sucks and the X5 Legion is good, but...

The Legion has the same optics cut as the M17 for the DPP.

The Legion uses the same fucking rear sight plate profile as the M17’s.

The Legion has the same exact bore axis as the M17.

The Legion has the same P320 FCU unit just with a different trigger shoe (that you could put in a M17 FCU), but somehow the M17 trigger gets hot and the Legion doesn’t. LOL.

The Legion uses the same P320 grip modules that the M17 can use but somehow the M17 is a POS that lets sand up through the trigger opening.

You don’t know your ass from a hole in the ground.

You've never shot a legion, clearly. You also missed the part where I give exception to the legion because "everything you interface with while shooting is different", clearly. You don't like it or understand, that's fine. If I had a dollar for every Sig fanboi who shows out over the dumbest shit I could buy a Legion lol.

Why don't you tell me if this is my ass or a hole in the ground?

Last edited:
You've never shot a legion, clearly. You also missed the part where I give exception to the legion because "everything you interface with while shooting is different", clearly. You don't like it or understand, that's fine. If I had a dollar for every Sig fanboi who shows out over the dumbest shit I could buy a Legion lol.

Wrong on so many accounts, just like your other mouth breather reply here.

I responded with facts to highlight how epically retarded your post was, your response was to call me a Sig fanboy (I’m anything but) and claim I’ve never shot a specific gun when you have no clue one way or another. I never intended to have a conversation with you, only show others how stupid your post is.

Great scoop OP, I want to get one but they're not CA legal. And with the microstamping requirement for new guns, I doubt they'll ever be.

Great scoop OP, I want to get one but they're not CA legal. And with the microstamping requirement for new guns, I doubt they'll ever be.

If they were classified as C&R would they be allowed in CA?

A guy on the Facebook m17 page donated one of his M17s for a C&R evaluation by the ATF/FEDS.

FYI: the romeo footprint is the same as the Shield RMS, which is a far superior red dot in my opinion.

The finish sucks, mine has been reliable as hell with a diet of mostly 124s and 147s, the trigger isn't a competition trigger - nor is mine a competition gun.

I like the gun.

And whomever said they don't know how it won a contract has never experienced other items that also won contracts.

If they were classified as C&R would they be allowed in CA?

A guy on the Facebook m17 page donated one of his M17s for a C&R evaluation by the ATF/FEDS.
I'm not sure, CA has a roster of handguns but I think C&R is exempt if it could be classified as such.

Op I have the brother to yours with micheal Jordan's number. Is yours numbered on the backstrap or right side? The red looks exactly like mine except mine has holster wear through the numbers on top of the slide. I'd be willing to bet mine and yours were in the rack together. I'll have to check with who but I know mine went to Afghanistan.

Last edited:
C&R requires it to be atleast 50 years old.

The one that is submitted to the ATF is going for option 3.

To be recognized as C&R items, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

1 Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;

2 Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

3 Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

Got all excited yesterday when my FFL called a said they got a Surplus M17 in and it was mine if I wanted it. Well.... Duh!!!

Picked it up and it is in really good shape. Has some holster wear and a bid red 27 on the top. Haha

I planned to shoot it a few times and just put it in the safe a forget about it. Maybe it will be something nice for one of my boys or a grand kid some day.

I was pretty surprised by the "certifate of authenticity". It is just a post card. No serial # or anything on it to connect it to said pistol.

I will say, my partner's duty sidearm is a P320 and the trigger on this gun is better than his. View attachment 7222694View attachment 7222695View attachment 7222696
I bought a civilian version M17 to practice between qualifications but is has no external safety. I want to train like I fight, so I want a safety. I know it'll have to be milled out to support the new safety. Other than buying a new one or waiting for a milsurp one to pop up, what's my best option?

i bought a Sig M17 commemorative and boy is it a easy shooting gun. Had it out with the Beretta 92A3, Glock 19x and the M17. The M17 is by far the easiest shooting gun out the 3.