• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig mcx virtus patrol

Blaketh

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2020
Hello,
I have a virtus patrol 16 in 556. Was wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions to make it lighter? I'm not looking to cut the barrel. Ounces equal pounds, would be nice to she'd 1 or 2.

Are the handguards interchangeable between models? You could drop some weight with a shorter handguard. Axing the flash hider and going with a thread protector probably gets you another ounce. The first image I found of the Virtus was set up with what appears to be a Magpul MOE SL-K carbine stock. The listed weight is 7.9oz, and is about as light as Magpul stocks come. If you’re not ready to chop the barrel, there aren’t many places to remove weight.

Welcome to the forum @Blaketh
I went on this journey not too long ago with someone's safe queen virtus that fell into my lap. I would say you have a couple options. Optic and peripherals selection, barrel length, handguard.

Obviously, red dots and such are going to be lighter than an lpvo setup. Choosing lighter grips and such are only going to help. I find the sig pdw style collapsible stock to be fairly light weight.

Then we have the rail and the barrel. This is probably the biggest area to reduce some of that weight. First, the midwest handguard is both better in the hand and lighter weight. Second big way is to have the barrel chopped. Dave Wilson @unclemoak cut and rethreaded my barrel and the work was perfect. This made the biggest difference especially with a silencer hanging off it.

This gun naturally tends to be front heavy with the piston out there. Especially as the Virtus guns have more of a medium profile barrel than the original MCX which had a very skinny barrel. Without considering cutting the barrel there are only so many options. Good luck!
20220128_225436.jpg

Another option is selling the Virtus and buying a WWSD2020 from Brownells. The Virtus is listed at 7.9 lbs, and the WWSD2020 at 4lbs 15oz. Might also have a few dollars left over in your pocket too...

You could also consider trading the Virtus rifle model for the pistol rated model that has the folding brace and the 11.6" barrel, that will save you some weight right there.

Or SBR your one and you could then just put the short barrel from SIG on it along with the shorter hand guard.

Another option is selling the Virtus and buying a WWSD2020 from Brownells. The Virtus is listed at 7.9 lbs, and the WWSD2020 at 4lbs 15oz. Might also have a few dollars left over in your pocket too...

If the WWSD2020 (What Would Stoner Do) is the BRN-180, then it is NOT even close to the Sig Virtus in flexibility or capability.

The BRN-180 has these negatives compared to the Virtus:
- A reciprocating charging handle
- Unable to change barrels at customer level
- Unable to change Handguard at customer level
- Unable to change caliber at customer level

I have both and would NEVER consider a BRN-180 equal to or even close to a Virtus. If the OP wanted a light weight setup, the Virtus isn't it. But they are insanely popular right now, so he can sell it and get some pencil barreled ultra light weight configuration, that lacks the capabilities, features, and flexibility of the Sig Sauer Virtus.

Reactions: three horsemen
If the WWSD2020 (What Would Stoner Do) is the BRN-180, then it is NOT even close to the Sig Virtus in flexibility or capability.

The BRN-180 has these negatives compared to the Virtus:
- A reciprocating charging handle
- Unable to change barrels at customer level
- Unable to change Handguard at customer level
- Unable to change caliber at customer level

I have both and would NEVER consider a BRN-180 equal to or even close to a Virtus. If the OP wanted a light weight setup, the Virtus isn't it. But they are insanely popular right now, so he can sell it and get some pencil barreled ultra light weight configuration, that lacks the capabilities, features, and flexibility of the Sig Sauer Virtus.
No, the wwsd2020 is not the Brn-180. It is a ‘standard’ DI AR15 built on a KE Arms polymer lower, faxon 16” pencil barrel, and carbon fiber hand guard. It retains all of the adaptability of the standard AR platform, with none of the negatives you cite. It’s chief claim to fame is being light weight and handy. No, it is not a piston gun, and no, it cannot be fired with a folded stock, but it is 2+ POUNDS lighter than the virtus. I do not own one and don’t ‘have a dog in the fight.’ My point is that if you find the Virtus heavy, there’s not much you can do to lighten it appreciably- other than to off load it and buy something lighter.