• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors SIG Mosquito suppressor??????

NTHRUT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2005
Va
What,s the best suppressor for a Sig .22lr Mosquito? Thanks.

Re: SIG Mosquito suppressor??????

i have screwed on my .30 can......but it was very heavy and the pistol sites could not look over the can....

Most any recent manufactured can from a reputable company will be acceptable. Is a take apart can important to you (for 22lr it is to me)? If so, look at the AAC Element or SWR Spectre. John Tittsworth has a good site with recent 22lr can comparisons:
http://www.silencerresearch.com/

Read the tests and determine which you like best.

I have an outback on mine, but that is because it was what the dealer had sitting on the self when bought the sig.

It works well for that pistol

I use an Outback, YHM Mite... the mite is stainless steel and comes apart for cleaning...looked at the Silencerco Sparrow the other day...get to test it tomorrow morning
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use an Outback, YHM Mite... the mite is stainless steel and comes apart for cleaning...looked at the Silencerco Sparrow the other day...get to test it tomorrow morning
smile.gif
</div></div>

Tag for report.

Thanks for all the input. I'll use it and make a decision. As I said, thanks again. I can always count on this site for a plethora of good, pertinent info!

if using a 4" barrel, how much difference is there in perceived sound between ammo marketed as subsonic and standard velocity ammo which will most likely be subsonic from short barrel anyhow?

you can tell the difference.subsonic IS the quietest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: birddog762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can tell the difference.subsonic IS the quietest. </div></div>

Since I posted that question I had an opportunity to go test a handful of different ammo's through an SWR Spectre on a 4" Ruger Mk-II (5.5" bull barrel cut down to 4" and threaded). Aguilla subsonic was the quietest but doesn't feed well (not enough juice to fully push the slide back), Remington subsonic and CCI "standard velocity" were identical in sound to my ear, even when loaded every-other-one in the magazine.

I've not had an opportunity to try them through my threaded rifle yet, but hope to in a day or two.

I ran a bunch of different 22lr ammo in my mosquito through the chrono last fall and ALL were subsonic in the pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an outback on mine, but that is because it was what the dealer had sitting on the self when bought the sig.

It works well for that pistol </div></div>

Also have the gemtech outback II great can for this gun, super quiet, rabbit killin machine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love AAC cans but I will also suggest the Silencerco Sparrow as well. </div></div>

I had a chance to meet the mfr's of the sparrow, and watch some deviants try to destroy one of their sparrows a few weeks ago. They seem to be great guys, minus the egos that some in the industry seem to collect.

After dumping almost 400 rounds full-auto through the can (back to back drums from an AM180, the second of which was 275), they disassembled the sparrow and checked it out. No damage - the can came apart and went back together easily - and then metered it without loss of effect versus the new can earlier in the day. I recall one of the <span style="font-style: italic">first </span>impressions being that the first baffle had coned (which everyone pretty much expected) - but it turned out to be lead slag that brushed right off.

My dealer bought 5 of them after that show, and I sent off the check to Uncle Sam this week to bring one of those 5 home with me. The half sleeves inside the tube is a great design, and well worth it in a .22 can that WILL build up a lot of lead.

SilenceCo Sparrow

ETA: The vid of that Sparrow test is on youtube (from an East TX Silencer Expo in May)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmVx1pwxHLw

I have both the Outback II and the SWR Warlock
I prefer the Warlock. Its a bit quieter.

Let us know what you decide, Bob. I'm waiting on the paperwork for a Liberty, and wouldn't mind comparing it to yours next time I'm up your way.

I have a Tac 65 which has been a good can, and a Thunderbeast 22L. The Thunderbeast is my favorite of the 2 for sure. Sick quiet and smaller OD so it is easy to use the sights. (I use mine on a P22, I don't know how the sights on a sig mosquito are, so YMMV)

Finally got to test the Silencerco Sparrow against my Outback II, Mite (stainless) and Pilot..
Using Rem subsonic, Aguila subsonic and RWS Target Rifle ammo. Hosts were a P22, Ruger MKII, Ruger 10/22 and SBR'd Contender...
We had 4 guys shooting/listening but without any type of sound measuring equipment...
Seems to be a dead tie between the Sparrow and the Outback...very close behind those was the Pilot..the Mite just is not in the same league..
I would buy one in a heartbeat...

The Sparrow is bad ass I am telling you. And this is coming from a diehard AAC fan. My next 22 can is going to be a Sparrow thats for sure.