• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig Mpx vs Cmmg Banshee???

Rangewarrior

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2020
Cincinnati, Ohio’ish
Been awhile since I read the rules so I hope this is allowed, if not please delete so I don’t get banned.
I would like to preface this post with; I know that 9mm isn’t effective at range and doesn’t carry The same velocity/energy that other rounds do, I’m not expecting a pcc to fill every need my 5.56/300bo/7.62 rifle/pistol are currently suited for. So please refrain from suggesting I pick a different round.
Anyways,
So considering the current political/social/economic situation the United States is in I find myself looking at my ammo pile realizing that I have far far more 9mm amassed than 5.56, and even more 5.56 than 7.62x51. This leaves me thinking it’s probably time to add a pcc to the safe/rotation. I’m leaning towards these two because they both use a rotating bolt system that reduces recoil and are supposed to be more suppressor friendly.
I really like the idea of running the Banshee because of the Glock mags (I have several glocks including the Gen 5 mos I currently run with a holosun). There’s definitely something to be said for primary and secondary not only being the same caliber, but having interchangeable mags as well.

On the other hand, I like Sig, the new mpx’s are Badass, and I like the idea of a folder. Not sure about a gas operated rotating bolt pcc, but I’ve been hearing good things. Compatibility and price would be the only two negatives on the mpx.
i really appreciate any input you guys have, I’m ready to pull the trigger on either one, just need help deciding.

The Sig is very good, but you may wish to add the HK SP5 and B&T ACP9 to the consideration. If you can find them.

If you follow the competition world at all you'll see that MPX's require cleaning and maintenance to keep running. May or may not matter to you but it's something to be aware of.
CMMG's radial delayed blowback system seemed like a good idea but a bunch of the early adopters that raved about them eventually sold them off. Poor accuracy and impossible to diagnose gremlins were a common complaint.

I thought about one of the 8" MPX pistols, but as they were unobtanium at a sensible price I ended up getting both a Stribog A3 and a used, modded Scorpion for a bit less. There seem to be quite a few HBI modded Scorpions& Micros in the $900 -$1100 range

Both are accurate and reliable enough, plus a ton of fun. If I was getting the Stribog again, I'd probably go A1- don't think the roller delay makes $300 worth of difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangewarrior
The B&T’s are awesome, I’ve gotten to shoot two versions they do.
I haven’t shot the sig.
I’m really interested in the CMMG delayed blowback as I’m curious how it shoots vs the MP5 which is awesome.

My straight blowback AR is nice but not close to MP5 nice.

I guess I would consider a jp also. I ran a buddies suppressed scorpion a few times and didn’t really care for it, the trigger sucked, gas and suit in my face. That’s just my opinion. I like cz otherwise.

I guess I would consider a jp also. I ran a buddies suppressed scorpion a few times and didn’t really care for it, the trigger sucked, gas and suit in my face. That’s just my opinion. I like cz otherwise.
Yea
The trigger on the Scorpion makes a mil spec ar trigger feel like a SSA-E.

Great thing about the Scorpion is that for under $40 you can make the trigger not suck, that said, my Stribog had a pretty good OOB trigger, $10 of HBI springs made it very nice.
I get way, way less gas in the face from either than from the AR9 I used to have, shooting with an Osprey on the end.

VriXDD.jpg

The MPX is popular in competition because it's super soft shooting, in reality aside for looking cool that's about it's only plus. It's expensive, mags are expensive, and reliability is very questionable. They only really seem to run well if the gas system is spotless. Running high pressure 147gr will help, but light cheap range 115gr are hit and miss. Add to that the ridiculous prices for MPX parts ($500 upper stripped, $600 barrel, $400 bolt/carrier) means that if you want spare parts or to change from a short barrel to carbine the price is massive. Their bolt speed is so violent that until a couple companies made MPX specific triggers, MPX's were eating aftermarket triggers (hiperfire, geissele, Timney etc.) like a fat kid eats cake. For every guy that loves them, there's a guy that still has nightmares from them. Also if you run suppressed they are known for throwing a ton of gas back in the users face unless you run a .45 can on it which helps, but of course is slightly louder. If I could get what I have into mine out of it, I couldn't drive to my FFL fast enough :)

If I wanted reliable and wasn't shooting competition I'd buy a Scorpion, it has a harder recoil impulse, but it flat out works, and you can add every toy you'd want to it, and still spend less than what a base MPX would be. Plus mags will be $20 each instead of $60 each. Stribog is another option that's been very popular lately, but I honestly don't have enough experience with them to give any input.

If you wanted to step up the price and quality, the B&T APC9 or HK is where I'd go. More expensive than the MPX, and not competition ideal, but they run like a top and run really nice suppressed.

I personally wouldn't run any of the AR 9mm's outside of competition, to me they are like the MPX, they tend to be picky about ammo, and want to be run clean, also a lot of people complain about them throwing gas in the face suppressed. Some builds are awesome and others are nightmares.

I have a SIG MPX pistol that I SBR'd a few years ago. It runs well with a variety of 9mm ammunition - mostly my 115 or 124 FMJ reloads. The USPSA competition shooters use the SIG MPX for PCC competition - I see a lot of negative comments on MPX in competition but how much of that is due to "gaming" the ammo, the magazines, etc. No issues with mine but it stock and shooting "normal" FMJ ammo. Mags were often available at reasonable pricing pre panic.

I haven't had anything but great experience with my mpx. It eats anything I feed it and I can drill 100 yd- 4" steel 10 out of 10 with any ammo and a Romeo5 red dot that's on it. I have about $1300 or so in mine, and I can sell it right now for a whole bunch more than that so.... That's my experience with it.

Another option is to get one of the MP5 clones such as PTR makes or some of the really good makers custom build.
The nice thing about those is if you ever find yourself with $40k to spare, you can make it full auto.

I personally wouldn't run any of the AR 9mm's outside of competition, to me they are like the MPX, they tend to be picky about ammo, and want to be run clean, also a lot of people complain about them throwing gas in the face suppressed. Some builds are awesome and others are nightmares.
That's pretty fair. I know a lot of guys that have AR9's they trust, but a lot of them, myself included, built a gun and then spent that cost over again working the kinks out. JP seems to be an exception to this.

Mine was the cheap and cheerful FX9 - it was uitterly reliable with a broad range of ammo, but running it suppressed was grim with the gas coming out of the back. I also wanted a proper folder.

emptyname-14-jpg.721680

If you want a Glock mag AR9 for supreesed use, maybe one of the side charging Foxtrot Mike uppers. They used to be a reasonable price at AIM.

I really enjoy my KRISS Vector and it does have Glock mag compatibility. YouTube has me worried about double feeds but I haven’t had any issues. That said, I only shoot it suppressed and with 147gr ammo, which is supposed to help. I’ve found it extremely accurate up to 100 yards shooting 5 inch steel off hand with a red dot. Just another option for the OP.

You are barking up the wrong trees. Get a Lead Star 9mm, all the long Glock mags that you can find, whatever basepads you prefer (Taran, Taylor etc...), or get some ETS 40 rounders. Put your favorite dot on it, and go shoot the shit out of it. I promise you will be happy. Im confident enough in that to say if you do this and don’t like it, I’ll buy it from you for whatever you have in it, as long as you don’t try to take me to the cleaners. I have a JP, and it is very nice, and I ran it some, and then bought a Lead Star for my wife because it was so much lighter. I put a Cmore on it and shot it in a match. Since then, I haven’t run the JP in a match. I’ve been running the piss out of the Lead Star. I love my JPs, but this LS rocks. Call Donnie at Stage Zero Shooting Supply and see if he has some in stock. You won’t be sorry.

the sig Mpx is probably the best out of them in my opinion. But b&t apc9, cz scorpion, have heard mixed opinions on the stribog, actually the psa ak9mm are really cool. Those are some of the ones I have personally shot and played with

Reactions: GUNNER10
I have limited time on the mpx, but from the few rounds that I put through my cousins, I really liked it. While I question Sig's QA/QC process, I really like their thought process behind their line up. I picked up a M18/P320 and like it.

With that being said, I picked up a CZ scorpion carbine on a whim, and like sage dynamics stated in his video on youtube, its not perfect but I love it. Its great.

I would lean towards the sig, but honestly, I think that 9mm PCC's are alot of fun.

The MPX is popular in competition because it's super soft shooting, in reality aside for looking cool that's about it's only plus. It's expensive, mags are expensive, and reliability is very questionable. They only really seem to run well if the gas system is spotless. Running high pressure 147gr will help, but light cheap range 115gr are hit and miss. Add to that the ridiculous prices for MPX parts ($500 upper stripped, $600 barrel, $400 bolt/carrier) means that if you want spare parts or to change from a short barrel to carbine the price is massive. Their bolt speed is so violent that until a couple companies made MPX specific triggers, MPX's were eating aftermarket triggers (hiperfire, geissele, Timney etc.) like a fat kid eats cake. For every guy that loves them, there's a guy that still has nightmares from them. Also if you run suppressed they are known for throwing a ton of gas back in the users face unless you run a .45 can on it which helps, but of course is slightly louder. If I could get what I have into mine out of it, I couldn't drive to my FFL fast enough :)

If I wanted reliable and wasn't shooting competition I'd buy a Scorpion, it has a harder recoil impulse, but it flat out works, and you can add every toy you'd want to it, and still spend less than what a base MPX would be. Plus mags will be $20 each instead of $60 each. Stribog is another option that's been very popular lately, but I honestly don't have enough experience with them to give any input.

If you wanted to step up the price and quality, the B&T APC9 or HK is where I'd go. More expensive than the MPX, and not competition ideal, but they run like a top and run really nice suppressed.

I actually wonder about the recoil impulse of the scorpion vs say the mpx or mp5. On face value, I do not argue that the mpx/mp5 recoils less/has a smoother impulse than the scorpion but wonder how much that actually is, and how noticeable it is if one does not shoot them back to back.

For example when shooting my ACC with FH next to my Scar 17 with MWS break. The ACC is noticeably more controllable/smoother than the 17, but thats not to say that the 17 in any way is uncontrollable or has high recoil. IMO recoil is somewhat subjective, but we are talking about two higher end guns.

I think that one could make the argument that both the MPX, and MP5 are better PCC's than the scorpion, but for the pricepoint, its really hard to pass up a scorpion.

I love my MPX. At about the 6k mark I ruined my non-MPX rated trigger, and then like an idiot I ruined another one in about 3k rounds. So now I have an MPX rated trigger. If you clean the piston every 500ish rounds you will be good to go. Mine goes over 1000 without needing to be cleaned, but I run NATO spec 9mm.

long story short, this gun is awesome as long as you get a proper trigger and clean it more than a standard AR

I do not argue that the mpx/mp5 recoils less/has a smoother impulse than the scorpion but wonder how much that actually is, and how noticeable it is if one does not shoot them back to back.
Night and day.