• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Sig P226 grip/brass-throwing question

twadsw01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
Durham, NC
I acquired a Sig P226 E2 in .40s&w a few months ago and have put about 1000-1500 rounds through the pistol. Being the first pistol I've shot regularly or owned, I've not had any formal pistol marksmanship training - just friendly advice from more experienced shooters at matches.

This past Tuesday at a match, a guy pointed out to me that my pistol was throwing brass almost 15ft away from my shooting position and recommended that I replace the spring in it.

Could it be that my spring is in fact ALREADY worn out? I wouldn't expect this to happen so quickly. -OR- could it be that holding the pistol with a very tight grip would cause brass to be ejected farther than would typically be expected?

Re: Sig P226 grip/brass-throwing question

i would say that it is in fact a good thing your pistol is throwing brass that far. let me explain, firearms manufactuers design a weapon systems to shoot, period. then they take into account things like looks, feel, add ons,etc.. etc.. etc.. i honestly dont think anyone of them is concerned about how far the EMPTY bras is being thrown. they could care less about that because most of them dont condone reloading to begin with. i also think that positive ejection is a good thing. faster you can get out the old casing, faster it will place fresh ammo in the spout. kind of the same reason guys put large air intakes on trucka and cars, but also add larger exhausts.

JUSt my .02

Okay. I had similar thoughts at first. However, doing a little bit of internet research, I've read that throwing brass a farther distance than "usual" (I don't know what's 'usual' for my pistol because 1) I shoot at a booth most of the time at an indoor range, and 2) Even at outdoor ranges, I never really pay attention to how far my brass goes) could in fact be a sign of a worn out recoil spring. The spring has lost its stiffness and allows the slide to slide rearward during recoil at a faster rate than the pistol was original designed for. I read somewhere else that the slide "battering" the frame like that upon recoil could be a bad thing.

It does seem at least plausible to me that a tight grip could cause brass to be ejected farther. For example, "limp-wristing" a pistol can cause the brass to not be ejected at all (stovepipes, etc.) because more of the recoil energy is being directed towards moving the hands/wrists/arms of the shooter than towards throwing the slide back and ejecting brass. The opposite of a limp, loose grip is a tight one, so it stands to (my) reason that this would direct additional recoil energy into sending the slide rearward, thus making for a more forceful ejection of brass from the pistol.

???

oh it never hurts to change your spring, but if it continues to sling brass then i wouldnt worry about it. its only when your brass is being flung around the clock instead of grouped together, should u have any concern. but that still means it is ejecting

I agree sniper, ammo types ( loadings ) make a big difference too. I you want, get a Wolf spring pack, with several different weights to play with to tune your ejection needs..

A loose grip should cause the slide to loose some momentum (entire gun rotating instead of slide only) and eject not as far.
Weak handing / non-locked wrist a 1911 can get a jam.

I would leave it alone (IMHO). It's working and positive ejection is a good thing to have.

I have a P226R in .357sig as one of my duty pistols. I put a lot of rounds through it and have it armored yearly. Just about all of the .357sigs we have on the line throw brass 2-3 lanes over (10-15 feet). Even the P226 in .357sig I previously had did it. That is one reason they ask us to shoot on the far left lanes during our quals. I wouldn't think there is anything wrong with it.

Okay. I won't worry about it then. I did purchase a Wolff Springs calibration pack, but I'll just save those for when it does wear out.

Thanks for the help, guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insayn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a P226R in .357sig as one of my duty pistols. I put a lot of rounds through it and have it armored yearly. Just about all of the .357sigs we have on the line throw brass 2-3 lanes over (10-15 feet). Even the P226 in .357sig I previously had did it. That is one reason they ask us to shoot on the far left lanes during our quals. I wouldn't think there is anything wrong with it. </div></div>

If you weren't in TX I would thing we worked for the same dept. My experience is pretty much the exact same. I usually end up getting hit with brass from the guy two lane to my left (which is why I also try to be on the far left). Sounds like it is working properly.