• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Sig P226 vs P229

Re: Sig P226 vs P229

I have to 229 in 9mm. I like it a lot but when you decide to get mags make sure you get the correct generation. Unfortunately seem to have a hard time finding mags for mine (9mm frame vs 40 frame)when the frames for 40 and 9mm were different.

As has been stated, the exterior dimensions and the weight are the main difference. They also have different slide serrations.

Although many of the parts are the same, the barrels are not interchangeable between the two models.

I prefer the P226 myself, especially in the capacity department for the 9mm version.

The 226 is more of a fullsize gun. Both great guns think it would depend on your application in terms of what would be best for you. I know if you go with a 40 cal you can change barrels with a 357 sig barrel. Lots of power with the 357 sig round.

P226 is full frame, P229 is compact, depends on what your hand likes. IMO a P226 in 40 S&W may be the best "combat" pistol available, but I'm a big guy. I wouldn't pick against it if my skin was on the line, although in an actual warzone I may choose it in 9mm.

I have a P226R in 9mm that has run flawlessly over 2k+ rounds. I also have a P229R in .40 that has done the same as well as a P229 SAS in .357 Sig that has done the same. Same story for my other Sigs too. Basically all of my Sigs have run with everything I have fed them and I have had zero issues. It is kind of nice also to be able to pull the barrel from the P229 SAS and drop in a spare .40 barrel when I want to run that one in .40 instead of .357 Sig.

I would say if you can't have both go find a range that will let you rent and shoot both and see which feels better, which you shoot better and go that way.

P226 has been flawless. I would suggest a short trigger modification.

I appreciate all the comments.

I have another question. Are aftermarket barrels 5 inches or longer available for the P226 and/or P229? The reason I ask, it would be nice if in addition to concealed carry it could also work as an Ohio deer legal handgun.

The Sig P226 X-SIX comes with a 6" barrel. The factory threaded barrel in my P226R is 5" if that helps.

You might try giving Bar-Sto or some of the other custom barrel makers a call and see if what they have to say.

They feel and balance very differently from each other-see if there's a range nearby that has them for rent and try them out. I say stick with 9mm. Not a fan of 40. Beats the guns up real bad and not as good as a 45. I can't see how 9mm +p+ modern hollow point is that bad for defense. Guns will last forever with 9mm ball for practice.

I think the 229 is better balanced also and wanted something smaller than the 226 as I carry 1911's. Just bought the M11, it's great!

I have the p226 elite dark TB with the SRT trigger and beaver tail, also the p229 elite scorpion with same setup. The 226 is SUPER accurate (bowling pins at 50yds easy) and runs great with everything. I carry both on a regular basis, but I prefer the 226 mainly due to the accuracy and longer sight radius. I use a Raven Concealement OWB holster for the 226 and a Silent Thunder IWB for the 229. I'm a small guy 5'7" 170 and the 226+IWB conceals easier, but with light jacket or large shirt the 229 hides well also. It's easier to find 226 mags than the 229-E2, plus the 226 mags run $30 and the 229s $40+. If you're in a hotter climate then the smaller framed 229 would be a better first choice. Or just get both and never look back. I'm glad I have both and never have issues with either. Make sure ur mags run ok, when I first got my new 226 the factory mags that came with it didn't run and had to send them back, luckily SS was great and sent me new ones at no charge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvNrU66PCRk

My first pistol was a 226, I carry an M11 for work and have owned a 229 Platinum Elite
The elite frames are amazing, The beavertail makes a world of difference, with the natural pointability and high grip.
I also bough an E2 conversion and put them on moth the M11 and 229. The E2 grips and espcially combined with the Elite frame make for one of the most comfortable pistols I've ever felt. I did sell the 229 as I found it a bit too large to carry and switched over to a bobtail Commander 1911.
I like the E2's so much that I bought a second set in case I do buy another SIG.
My ideal Sig would be a 229 SAS with Elite frame and E2 grips

I also carry the 229 for work, I like it but would have to agree that it's a bit too large and heavy for CC if that's what you have planned. The DAK trigger is also long and fairly heavy in case you were looking at that.

this is what I found in my quest for the same answer to the same question.... the fallowing is not my words a copy and past from another source

When S&W came out with the 40 cal, sig wasnt sure the 226 could operate at the high pressures of the 40. They designed the 229 around the 40 cal. It is slightly smaller then the 226, and the slide is milled from one piece of steel, rather than stampings or investment casting. Sig released the 226 in 40 cal years later when police depts showed a entrust in the large model.