• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig puts the electro in electo-optics

catorres1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Just got back from NRA where I was able to meet with a contact at Sig and spend some time going over their newest RF/Scope offerings. He is going to send me access to their Google drive file with more details (I could not remember everything he showed and told me), so I 'll have more to post on this next week, but I wanted to get this up while it's somewhat fresh in my mind from yesterday.

As you all probably know, they have updated pretty much their entire line of RF's. The 2400 ABS is still in the line, but the new BDX line is looking like something special, and at a great price point. For those that have not read the release yet, the new RF's run a stripped down version of AB internally. Sig told me that basically, they use AB algorithms, but lack the higher level functions like coriolis etc. The purpose is to have an internal ballistic system that can be used for midrange shots, standalone. IIRC, just like Leica, these ballistic returns are limited to 800 yards, as past that point, they feel you need a more robust solution to make a good shot.

And that they have provided in terms of full connectivity to a Kestrel running AB. Like the Vec X, it pairs to the kestrel, you range, the kestrel does the math. However, though we did not have a Kestrel with us at the moment, I was told that, unlike the Vec X, it pings that data right back into the RF display. So unlike the Vec x, you don't have to look at your Kestrel to get your solution. It can be sitting somewhere else or whatever, running. Just range, let them talk, and your solution pops up in the RF viewer. This is exactly what I personally hoped for and to me, this is looking like the best possible choice in terms of workflow, at least at the moment, I can't honestly think of how they could improve it in those terms.

I only got to play with it for a while (I had the 2400BDX), so I cannot say much in terms of ranging performance, glass quality in low light, etc...hope to get more hands on time with it in the future....but this looks like a real winner.

Cherry on top was the connectivity with the optic. My friend told me that this sort of integration has been planned for a long time...hence the 'electro' in the optics. At the moment, the system is only integrated in the lower priced line of scopes as they wanted to get this into broad market use as soon as possible, but it will be rolled out to higher lines as things progress. Once we got the RF paired to the scope, it was pretty trick. In terms of hold points, basically range and it lights up the point on the reticle where you need to hold. On the scope we were using, 6.5-20 IIRC, you could get as much as about 20 MOA IIRC holdover before you ran out of dot room when on max mag. However, if you need more, you could dial down and the dots would move correspondingly. So at half power, the 20 MOA hold dot would now be half way down the line, and you could now get as much as 40 MOA holdover. In otherwords, the holdovers are usable at ALL magnifications, it adjusts accordingly automatically.

In addition, there are light up indicators on the windage line for cant, so you can ensure your rifle is level when you take your shot without having to have an external level or take your eye off the scope.

The integration with the scope is really impressive. Will it have use for long long range shots? Not that I can see. But with 20 MOA, you can reach 800 to 1k yards with many setups, more than enough for most hunters (or at least for me!)

Overall, integration with the scope is really cool, but the real progress, to my mind, is the new RF's and their two way communication with the Kestrel. Including the AB lite also gives you a backup solution should your Kestrel go down or whatever. This is just what I hoped someone in the industry would do, Vec X got close, but it appears Sig has nailed it. Excited for more information and time with the unit to see for sure. Oh and price on this....IIRC the 2400 is in the $800 retail range.

Good times in this segment, lots of good stuff. For sure, Leica will respond. Can't say for sure what they have in store, but from what I have been able to gather from various sources, they do have a response coming, and if the rumors I heard are true, it's gonna be good. Can't wait.

Last edited:
In addition, there are light up indicators on the windage line for cant, so you can ensure your rifle is level when you take your shot without having to have an external level or take your eye off the scope.
While I like the idea of the level plex, I don't like it very much. Keeps telling me to cant the rifle when it doesn't need canting, and it overshoots. I just leave it off. It's not hard to hold a level reticle with your eyes

That's the best description of how the new LRF without the full AB suite of software actually works I've read so far.

Do you know if it shows you elevation and windage in the LRF after it gets the results from the Kestrel?

That's the best description of how the new LRF without the full AB suite of software actually works I've read so far.

Do you know if it shows you elevation and windage in the LRF after it gets the results from the Kestrel?

I don't yet have access to the files, and while I was getting a demo, we had the RF and the scope, but no Kestrel handy, so I did not get to try it personally. However, I asked that question directly to my contact and he said yes, it is a two way communication. The RF sends the info to the Kestrel, the kestrel does it's calculations and then it feeds back into the RF where the solution is displayed.

So as far as I know, yes it does, which at least for me, is a pretty nice workflow advantage in it's favor. I will be having a call later this week with Sig to go over some more points in detail and will re-verify that point, and am hoping (probably unreasonbly!) to get one on loan for a comparison vs my Leica...but that's definitely "fingers crossed".

I've got a request in for some information also, maybe next week after the NRA show is over.

I still feel like it's close but no cigar. I would love to see Sig come out with a set of LRF Binoculars (with high end Japanese or German glass) which can communicate with Weatherflow/Kestrel and scope all sharing the same information with HUD in each optic, but I'll settle for a set of LRF Bino's that communicate with a Weatherflow. That being said I do like the AB Lite without coriolis and spin drift as the margin of error with those is negligible for what most of us do. My question is, just how much is stripped out of AB with this new "Lite" version, and will the 2400BDX communicate with any Kestrel with Bluetooth or only that top dollar one? Also, does Sig have any plans to integrate with Weatherflow because when I have an LRF or Garmin 701 and the like that has AB built in, I don't need to spend another $700 for a fancy wind meter when $80 will do. Please understand I am not knocking the Kestrel, I think it is great, but when I purchase other units that have AB and atmospherics, the Kestrel becomes overkill IMO, sure it's nice to have backups but that's a pretty hefty premium for all those devices with AB.