• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sig Sauer 2200 Real World Reviews

I love mine. It's my first and only LRF so not a good basis for review. Aiming circle is small enough to bracket full size silhouette targets @1250 yards if you hold it steady. Laser has always been accurate and instantaneous.

love mine, ranged the "best but sign" at i think it was 2360 or something i just forget. ranged and few stumps/rocks at 200-600. also think i ranged 2 mailboxes at 1400 or so. i havent got to range any animals tho. fastest rangefinder , i can range a semi truck flying down the highway at ranges of 700 here at the house. small aiming circle is nice. if i can range a deer at 1200 id bee happy. and at 420 shipped. i couldnt pass it up bc it was updated version of the 2000.

I have one. I also have the original 2000. No difference. And by that I mean they both equally suck. Neither unit can range for shit. Can't range a cow at 800 yards. That's a pretty real-world scenario. Ranging semi-trucks and billboards and buildings is BS. Nobody shoots at semi-trucks. If it can't range my target, what good is it. I wind up having to range the ground around/near the target or a tree that's close. But that still leaves you with a huge error. I know, I know... blasphemy, right? Whatever.

I have one. I also have the original 2000. No difference. And by that I mean they both equally suck. Neither unit can range for shit. Can't range a cow at 800 yards. That's a pretty real-world scenario. Ranging semi-trucks and billboards and buildings is BS. Nobody shoots at semi-trucks. If it can't range my target, what good is it. I wind up having to range the ground around/near the target or a tree that's close. But that still leaves you with a huge error. I know, I know... blasphemy, right? Whatever.

Blasphemy? Nope. I know that SIG had QA issues and this kind of confirms they still do. Have you sent your units back to SIG? Do you believe they are operating properly and just suck?

I want to buy an LRF but want something dependable. What r u using?

Have you tried Bushnell eleit 1 mile? Will it be better or worse?

Blasphemy? Nope. I know that SIG had QA issues and this kind of confirms they still do. Have you sent your units back to SIG? Do you believe they are operating properly and just suck?

I want to buy an LRF but want something dependable. What r u using?

I believe both units are working properly. I just think they aren't as good as everyone makes them out to be. I use them and make them work. But they could be a lot better if they really are to live up to the hype.

I just got one and have been taking it with me on walks and such. I just got a hit on a building 1504yds away a few minutes ago on a bright but overcast and very windy day so I am very pleased!

Ditto that! At least on the 2000. It has forced me to learn how to range using my scopes, and I get a reading every time.

I just got one and have been taking it with me on walks and such. I just got a hit on a building 1504yds away a few minutes ago on a bright but overcast and very windy day so I am very pleased!

Congrats on being able to range a building. Unless you're a soldier or a SWAT sniper that won't come in handy ever. Let us know if you can range an animal at 800 yards or a 1 MOA steel target at 1000. That's a little more realistic.

The only time a person would need to range a 10 and a half inch lump of steel at 1000 yards is when shooting at the range, Knowing the size of the target and working out the range is all part of the fun of going there, it seems like a waste of money.

The Military's or the DOD's requirements are a lot more relaxed when it comes to there ranging abilities yet they always end up with LRF's that go for Miles, it's weird how they want one thing and end up with another.

ship me one of yours, ill cover the shipping...i want to see one not be able to range a cow at 800

I have the Kilo 2000and have had no problems ranging steel out to 1000y so far. I've also ranged a wooden power pole (not very wide or reflective) at 1005y holding the rangefinder both horizontally and vertically to confirm aiming circle was centered.

Congrats on being able to range a building. Unless you're a soldier or a SWAT sniper that won't come in handy ever. Let us know if you can range an animal at 800 yards or a 1 MOA steel target at 1000. That's a little more realistic.

I have no need to range an animal at 800yds actually

Them building can get pretty vicious when cornered, and Sabre Toothed Possums hide in the Loft/Attic, don't get too close now, I still have nightmares from my last encounter.

Lol.

John.

Pay me for the unit and I'll gladly ship it to you. I don't give away shit for free, guys. If it the thing don't work. I still paid for it. I'm not Santa.

Last edited:
The only time a person would need to range a 10 and a half inch lump of steel at 1000 yards is when shooting at the range,

And? So what? Is that not a valid use for a rangefinder? Wouldn't you want one that you know... works?

Also, not everyone shoots on a square range with known distances. I go out to BLM land and private land and place targets all sorts of random, unknown distances. Also, during competitions where you don't know the distance of your target.

You imply people ranging steel targets is an outlier and therefore not a valid use for a rangefinder? Ok, I'll play your game. What, then, is an actual valid use for a rangefinder? Especially one like the Sig that is MARKETED to long-range tactical sport shooters. Surely nobody needs to range a freaking SEMI-TRUCK or a SKYSCRAPER. C'mon now. But ranging an animal is definitely a valid use. A deer. An elk. A bear. A boar. Whatever. And I can't range the broadside of a cow standing on the side of my local square shooting range, well then we got problems. Every review of these rangefinders talks about how the reviewer had no problem ranging a freaking BILLBOARD or a BUILDING or a TRACTOR TRAILER. Big freakin' deal. Those objects are massive. And made of reflective metal. Not a fair test of this product in my opinion.

So... what in your opinion is a valid use-case for a rangefinder like this if it's not to range an animal and not to range an actual target one would really SHOOT AT?

Last edited:
Guys, when someone asks for a "real-world review" of this thing, do ya'll really think, "Hey I ranged the Empire State Building at 600 yards" is an appropriate response? If so, then ok I must be the one out of my mind here. And I'l concede that. Just seems like an invalid test to me.

And? So what? Is that not a valid use for a rangefinder? Wouldn't you want one that you know... works?

Also, not everyone shoots on a square range with known distances. I go out to BLM land and private land and place targets all sorts of random, unknown distances. Also, during competitions where you don't know the distance of your target.

You imply people ranging steel targets is an outlier and therefore not a valid use for a rangefinder? Ok, I'll play your game. What, then, is an actual valid use for a rangefinder? Especially one like the Sig that is MARKETED to long-range tactical sport shooters. Surely nobody needs to range a freaking SEMI-TRUCK or a SKYSCRAPER. C'mon now. But ranging an animal is definitely a valid use. A deer. An elk. A bear. A boar. Whatever. And I can't range the broadside of a cow standing on the side of my local square shooting range, well then we got problems. Every review of these rangefinders talks about how the reviewer had no problem ranging a freaking BILLBOARD or a BUILDING or a TRACTOR TRAILER. Big freakin' deal. Those objects are massive. And made of reflective metal. Not a fair test of this product in my opinion.

So... what in your opinion is a valid use-case for a rangefinder like this if it's not to range an animal and not to range an actual target one would really SHOOT AT?

My point is that it's uses are limitless and so are the places that it can be used.

Guys, when someone asks for a "real-world review" of this thing, do ya'll really think, "Hey I ranged the Empire State Building at 600 yards" is an appropriate response? If so, then ok I must be the one out of my mind here. And I'l concede that. Just seems like an invalid test to me.

im not going to keep it, i dont need it...im going to see if youre blowing smoke up everyone's ass and send it back to you, because you post this same crap in every sig kilo thread and i have a hard time believing you...because myself (using a kilo2400, and 2 others using kilo2000s) have now set up and ran 2 FIELD matches, not on square ranges, distances not given...its set up on a huge ranch, targets spread everywhere...and we ranged every single target with the sigs...targets range from 250 to 983 yds and the largest target at 983 is a 66% ipsc...last match had a 6" circle at 477, small coyote targets from 350 to 450, and a 10" circle at 650, just for examples...no problem ranging any of them, for any of us, because when setting up the course we verify each target with at least 2 of the range finders...targets are either hanging on a firehose strap or hung on a t-post, no massive berm to hit next to it

THIS IS REAL WORLD...and our matches had 50+ people running thru them, all hitting targets with good solid distances...we arent ranging signs or buildings...ill be waiting on a PM

Somewhat lost in this conversation is the Kilo is on the low end of the price spectrum here relative to its specs. If you really need something that can reliably range an animal at extreme distances, you probably need a Vectronix or something along those lines. I have a Kilo 2200 that I'm very happy with, but that's not because no matter what I point it at I get a reading - it's because I know that I'm not going to find a rangefinder that's faster or meaningfully more powerful without spending a lot more cash.

FWIW, I've ranged buildings at over a mile just using the thing handheld. I haven't taken it out hunting yet but I have little doubt it'll work just fine within 800 yards or so on a non-reflective target with a steady rest and 500 yards or so handheld. And it gives me readings almost instantly - so much faster than my buddy's Leica that I almost feel bad for him when I use his. That's pretty damn good for the price.

Any of these new breed of rangefinders have really risen to the challenge regardless of brand, and the best part is you can have all that power even if a person is on a limited income, and we are going to see some big jumps in performance and connectivity etc, we all know that Vectronix are the Gold standard but these new breed of LRF's with their extreme ranging abilities are going to force the bigger companies to either lower their price or come up with a new model that is budget friendly. We now have the option of the Leica 2000 and the G-7 mk2 or ConX, and the sig 2200 /2400. So the big shots ( pun intended ) are going to have to listen to the people or see a slump in sales. either way it is good news for us.

John.

Last edited:

You use yours the way you want to and I will use mine the way I want to. If it works for us both then I fail to see the problem. The "building" I was talking about was basically a small garage so it was maybe 20ft wide at most. I will be going out next week to a 1200yd range and can do some actual testing on steel targets at that time.

You use yours the way you want to and I will use mine the way I want to. If it works for us both then I fail to see the problem. The "building" I was talking about was basically a small garage so it was maybe 20ft wide at most. I will be going out next week to a 1200yd range and can do some actual testing on steel targets at that time.

Well Actually Bouncing it off a building is very relevant and a valid test, If it is to be used within LE / Mil - Government circles, There are more than a few folks here that don't ring steel but their requirements are a lot more critical, So how far it will range a semi or a water tower does not seem such a stupid question after all.

We all use them in a different way from ringing steel to taking down bad guys to putting meat in the freezer to even drawing Maps, So I think they are all relevant and the only Stupid question is the one that is never Asked,

Hope this helps.

John.

Well Actually Bouncing it off a building is very relevant and a valid test, If it is to be used within LE / Mil - Government circles, There are more than a few folks here that don't ring steel but their requirements are a lot more critical, So how far it will range a semi or a water tower does not seem such a stupid question after all.

We all use them in a different way from ringing steel to taking down bad guys to putting meat in the freezer to even drawing Maps, So I think they are all relevant and the only Stupid question is the one that is never Asked,

Hope this helps.

John.

You make many valid points John. Thanks!

You make many valid points John. Thanks!

Ya welcome Mate,, I use mine for many tasks, and some times if I see some thing new I range it just because it is there because it helps me find it's weak points if there is any and that way I know my / It's limitations, I guess you could say I am staying on top of the PPPP's

hope this helps,

John.

Pay me for the unit and I'll gladly ship it to you. I don't give away shit for free, guys. If it the thing don't work. I still paid for it. I'm not Santa.

Pretty sure he just wants to see a unit that won't range a cow at 800 and he'll return it. He's insinuating your disdain for the unit and it's performance are out of proportion. I'll cover the return shipping after he's done with it because I think Morgan is right. You show up in every SIG thread you can find and bash their stuff. You don't like them, we get it. You're also in the minority.

We have been using the Sig LRF for the past couple of years. We started with the Kilo 2K and currently use a 2400. All these comments and data are from field use or data collection.
Range accuracy: This data was acquired in mid Jan of 2017. Mixed snow on the ground with the sun at mid-afternoon height behind the range finder. All the ranges were verified with a Trimble GPS and 1 minute collection time with corrected data. They are damn close to spot on…
Ranges: 1534 yrds 30 inch round plate
995 yrds 30 inch round plate
860 66% IPSC
975 yrds 14 x 14 square
960 yrds 16 inch round
745 yrds 45% IPSC
720 yrds 40% IPSC
700 yrds Coyote (fox sized)
600 yrds 16” Round
500 yrds 25% IPSC
380 yrds 4 inch Round… Skyline
We used a Sig 2400 and a set of Leica Geovid 10x42 B LRF Binos.
What we found: Both sets of range finders had identical ranges and they were within a foot of the GPS data across the entire range. We range at the base of the post for all targets. The Leica’s were a touch faster, but not enough to matter to us. Both LRFs needed to be “verified” for the “sweet spot” for ranging, once we had that getting the range on the 380 sky lined 4 inch round was not a problem for either LRF. The Leica’s were held on top of a tripod while the Sig was in the tripod adaptor and mounted to the tripod.
The rest of the story: When the sun was directly behind the LRFs, the Leica’s would range considerably farther than the Sig 2400. We could get out to 1200 with the Sig unit and 1600 was not an issue with the Leica under the same light. When we turned 110 degrees to the sun angle, we were able to range rocks on a hill at 1700 yards with both units. Thus, environment and sun angle do play a role in the ability of the units to return longer ranges. We will repeat this evaluation in a few weeks with different environmental conditions. But for now, we are very pleased with the performance of the Sig LRF’s

Thanks for the review. I know about the Leica. They are truly amazing but I don't want to spend $2,500+ on an LRF. I already have a Kestrel Elite so the Sig 2400 is overkill, hence my initial request for info on the 2200. I know the optics portion of the 2400 is superior (glass vs. plastic) to the 2200. Do you believe that the 2200 would have drastically different performance than the 2400?

im not going to keep it, i dont need it...im going to see if youre blowing smoke up everyone's ass and send it back to you, because you post this same crap in every sig kilo thread and i have a hard time believing you...because myself (using a kilo2400, and 2 others using kilo2000s) have now set up and ran 2 FIELD matches, not on square ranges, distances not given...its set up on a huge ranch, targets spread everywhere...and we ranged every single target with the sigs...targets range from 250 to 983 yds and the largest target at 983 is a 66% ipsc...last match had a 6" circle at 477, small coyote targets from 350 to 450, and a 10" circle at 650, just for examples...no problem ranging any of them, for any of us, because when setting up the course we verify each target with at least 2 of the range finders...targets are either hanging on a firehose strap or hung on a t-post, no massive berm to hit next to it

THIS IS REAL WORLD...and our matches had 50+ people running thru them, all hitting targets with good solid distances...we arent ranging signs or buildings...ill be waiting on a PM

You're making a few assumptions here with how and where and what I shoot. Does this look like a square range to you? I've taken my 6.5 Creedmoor out to 1580 yards at this location, and many random distances in between. I also shoot a 66% IPSC, among other sizes and random steel plates. So how is your "real world" more "real" than my "real world." This is a 900-acre ranch. I can get readings on some of the steel targets that are closer. But 900 yards? 1000 yards? 1200+ yards? Nope. Gotta range a tree or the ground or a large boulder or some brush. I've used it at a few matches too, one of which had lots of cows hanging around on the sidelines, which is why I mention having a hard time ranging a few haha. My local tactical steel match only goes out to 600 yards, so that's not a problem for me thus far.

PM me and we can discuss sending you one of my Kilos.
target3_by_haftelm-dax9ykp.jpg

Last edited:

Hope this helps.

John.

Right. And I even called that out in my post, didn't I. That UNLESS you're military or a SWAT sniper or something, ranging a building is a pretty invalid test...

Last edited:
Pretty sure he just wants to see a unit that won't range a cow at 800 and he'll return it. He's insinuating your disdain for the unit and it's performance are out of proportion. I'll cover the return shipping after he's done with it because I think Morgan is right. You show up in every SIG thread you can find and bash their stuff. You don't like them, we get it. You're also in the minority.

So are you just looking for an echo chamber and a pat on the back, then? Because the OP asked for "real world" reviews. That doesn't mean, only speak up if you like the thing. If a product works, I like it. If it doesn't work, I don't like it. It's really that simple. What do I have to gain by trashing Sig? I wanted to like these things because on paper they show a lot of promise.

And no, I'm not in the minority. Go take a look at the Scout site and you'll see plenty of people complaining about the Kilo 2000. Lots of people had/have to send them back to Sig for warranty work. Not so much the 2200 because it's still pretty new.

Last edited:
So are you just looking for an echo chamber and a pat on the back, then? Because the OP asked for "real world" reviews. That doesn't mean, only speak up if you like the thing. If a product works, I like it. If it doesn't work, I don't like it. It's really that simple. What do I have to gain by trashing Sig? I wanted to like these things because on paper they show a lot of promise.

And no, I'm not in the minority. Go take a look at the Scout site and you'll see plenty of people complaining about the Kilo 2000. Lots of people had/have to send them back to Sig for warranty work. Not so much the 2200 because it's still pretty new.

Please. They've sold thousands of these things. We see this all the time. One guy has a bad experience. Another guy has a different issue. Then all the keyboard commandos come out "I was going to buy 7 of these but now that two people bitched on the internet I've lost interest."

The majority is always quieter because they lack a reason to bitch. Which of these do you even own? You've been shitting on every SIG thread since Scout. He's asking about the 2200...do you have one? Or are you still bitching about your 2000, the one that won't range a cow at 800 yards?

It's not your experience people are faulting, it's your credibility. Not to mention your seething disdain for a product that compels you to respond to every thread starting with "SIG" to voice your displeasure. As I recall you were advised to make use of their warranty and wouldn't even do that. It's not worth your time or some other bullshit.

Fact is you'd rather whine than let them fix it or let somebody else see your supposedly faulty unit. You're in the minority. If it was a majority...it would be obvious, a la Steiner T5Xi

Right. And I even called that out in my post, didn't I. That UNLESS you're military or a SWAT sniper or something, ranging a building is a pretty invalid test...

Yes I noticed that, I have ranged some real Awkward targets, and it is quite surprizing what they will range when you least expect it,

John.

Thanks for the review. I know about the Leica. They are truly amazing but I don't want to spend $2,500+ on an LRF. I already have a Kestrel Elite so the Sig 2400 is overkill, hence my initial request for info on the 2200. I know the optics portion of the 2400 is superior (glass vs. plastic) to the 2200. Do you believe that the 2200 would have drastically different performance than the 2400?

The 2200 and 2400 are the same LRF. Difference is Ballistics app, reticle and the "glass". I can go do the same test with a 2200, but the results will be the same. I will test the 2200 this weekend and give the results.... next to a 2400.

The 2200 and 2400 are the same LRF. Difference is Ballistics app, reticle and the "glass". I can go do the same test with a 2200, but the results will be the same. I will test the 2200 this weekend and give the results.... next to a 2400.

They've stated they're different in terms of performance but I've wondered how they'd really perform side by side. I've only had time with the 2400. They're "ratings" are within about 100 yards of each other despite the supposedly 20%+ better ranging ability of the 2400.

I'm interested to see how that turns out.

You're making a few assumptions here with how and where and what I shoot. Does this look like a square range to you? I've taken my 6.5 Creedmoor out to 1580 yards at this location, and many random distances in between. I also shoot a 66% IPSC, among other sizes and random steel plates. So how is your "real world" more "real" than my "real world." This is a 900-acre ranch. I can get readings on some of the steel targets that are closer. But 900 yards? 1000 yards? 1200+ yards? Nope. Gotta range a tree or the ground or a large boulder or some brush. I've used it at a few matches too, one of which had lots of cows hanging around on the sidelines, which is why I mention having a hard time ranging a few haha. My local tactical steel match only goes out to 600 yards, so that's not a problem for me thus far.

PM me and we can discuss sending you one of my Kilos.

i wasnt making any assumptions about how and where you shoot....i was addressing the fact you keep insinuating no one else is putting these things to use in field conditions...PM inbound

I will be looking forward to your assessment and I thank you for the help

vectronix.. only way to go ..even a moskito works better than anything sig

As good as vectronix are most well known companies are tearing it up at the moment including Sig and at less than a quarter of the price, Vectronix are good for calling in Air Strikes but I don't think you would be welcomed back at the Rifle Range if you did that, They are a bit touchy about that sort of thing, Lol.

John.

Well I zapped a 60" x 60" piece of a shed powder coated in Flat finished Green at 1677 yards and I zapped a Grey / Black stone wall at over 1485 yards so I am happy with my ConX getting those at almost a mile on a bright sunny day, So on highly reflective things in better conditions it should go a lot further.

John.

O. K.,real world. I went on the roof of my five story urban building. Clear sunny day at 1400. A worker on a roof across the highway at 624 yards. I was able to bracket walls in front and behind, so believe this accurate. Could have been a cow. A small sedan at 987 yards. Also bracketed. This is my first LRF, so no comparison. Seems good to me.

O. K.,real world. I went on the roof of my five story urban building. Clear sunny day at 1400. A worker on a roof across the highway at 624 yards. I was able to bracket walls in front and behind, so believe this accurate. Could have been a cow. A small sedan at 987 yards. Also bracketed. This is my first LRF, so no comparison. Seems good to me.

Did you manage to range the worker and were you using the sig ?

I had the 2000 and it didn't range for crap. Like < 500 yards on trees. I ended up sending it in and after 7 weeks of following up on it, they sent me a brand new 2200.
My 2200 is the real deal. It's everything I wanted when I originally bought the 2000. I can range trees at over 1600 consistently, and was ranging deer at 900+. They were standing about 40 yards in front of a tree line, so I could tell if I was ranging them or the tress behind.

Like any LRF, reflectively is a big deal. You might be able to range a light-brown deer at 900 yards, but can't hit a black cow at 800. For example, in my testing, I could hit houses easily at 1500+, but couldn't get a reading off of their black shingle roofs. Even my original 2000 could hit a regular sized stop sign at 1700+, but couldn't range anything else for shit.

I know I'm very happy with my 2200.

Sorry, I guess I wrote that too quickly. Yes, using the Sig 2200 I ranged a person working on a roof at 620 yards. I was able to range brick walls both in front and behind this person, so felt I was correct. I then put the location in the map of BallisticARC and was given the same range within a couple of yards. Probably could range a cow at that distance.

Well that's good, If person is a lot smaller than a Deer, So you should get them at a fair distance then, Sounds like the 2200 is way better than the 2000,

Thanks again and good luck.

John.

Last edited: