• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig Sauer 716 DMR Gen2 Optic problems

SFSniper

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2014
plus.google.com
As the title states I've been having some issues with the optics (yes plural) on my 716 DMR G2.

When I bought the rifle I also bought a Trijicon 5.5x50 with .308 BDC reticle. First time out at the range I tried to zero it at 100 meters (we use the metric system). I couldn't get it on paper at 100. I tried 50 meters and finally got on paper, but the POI was about 10 inches high after maxing out the elevation adjustment. So I figured the factory 20 MOA top rail was not something the Trijicon was made for. So I decided to change the optic. I managed to sell the Trijicon and bought a Sig Sauer Tango 4 6-24 x 50 and fitted it with a Contessa SBT02 FW - 30mm mount. I laser bore sighted at 25 meters and managed to get the POI and POA to align. Next time out to the range I was on paper at 100 meters but POI was about 8 inches high. I started adjusting elevation and it went 8 more clicks and bottomed out. I checked the owners manual for the zero stop function and I already had it adjusted all the way (did this when I was bore sighting.) So yet again I'm left with an optic that cannot dial enough elevation to zero this rifle on 100m.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something obvious or am I just buying the wrong scope/rings combinations to get this rifle to zero. Groupings are good, I was using 147gn Mil-surplus ammo and getting MOA groupings, just 6 inches above POA. I've been thinking of hand loading some heavier bullets and maybe zeroing for 200m, but I would really like to zero it with the mil-surplus ammo because it's cheap. Reloading components brass, propellant, bullets, etc. have become ridiculously expensive in South Africa so keeping a semi-auto fed, especially in 7.62, can become an endless money pit.
I'm taking a financial knock every time I buy a scope new and sell it as used a few weeks later. I would really like the next scope I buy to be the last one I buy for this rifle, at least for the foreseeable future.

I would really appreciate any advice or recommendations. Are there any other 716 G2's out there who have had similar problems? What optics are being used successfully on these rifles with similar ammo combinations?

Isn't the Sig still just a version of a large frame AR? It should be a flat top upper. So no MOA incline.
You say the "factory 20 moa top rail" ?
Any ACOG should just have a picitainy attachment. No MOA included.

Then you get a 30 MOA rail and it still doesn't work. Are you sure your not putting the rail on backwards?

Reactions: Flyperk and simonp
Hi. No the Gen2 716 DMR definitely has a 20 MOA top rail from factory. The Trijicon ACOG mounted directly to the rail. And the Tango 4 was mounted with the straight (0 MOA) Contessa mount.

Reactions: msgriff
Here's a pic if anyone was interested. The 716 DMR Gen2 does have a factory 20 MOA continuous top rail, and a very high HOB.
1379-835910.jpg

Hi BCP, thank you for pointing that out. I never checked the total adjustment range on the Sig scope. You're absolutely right something with 20 - 30 mil of adjustment will definitely solve my problem.

As the title states I've been having some issues with the optics (yes plural) on my 716 DMR G2.

When I bought the rifle I also bought a Trijicon 5.5x50 with .308 BDC reticle. First time out at the range I tried to zero it at 100 meters (we use the metric system). I couldn't get it on paper at 100. I tried 50 meters and finally got on paper, but the POI was about 10 inches high after maxing out the elevation adjustment. So I figured the factory 20 MOA top rail was not something the Trijicon was made for. So I decided to change the optic. I managed to sell the Trijicon and bought a Sig Sauer Tango 4 6-24 x 50 and fitted it with a Contessa SBT02 FW - 30mm mount. I laser bore sighted at 25 meters and managed to get the POI and POA to align. Next time out to the range I was on paper at 100 meters but POI was about 8 inches high. I started adjusting elevation and it went 8 more clicks and bottomed out. I checked the owners manual for the zero stop function and I already had it adjusted all the way (did this when I was bore sighting.) So yet again I'm left with an optic that cannot dial enough elevation to zero this rifle on 100m.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something obvious or am I just buying the wrong scope/rings combinations to get this rifle to zero. Groupings are good, I was using 147gn Mil-surplus ammo and getting MOA groupings, just 6 inches above POA. I've been thinking of hand loading some heavier bullets and maybe zeroing for 200m, but I would really like to zero it with the mil-surplus ammo because it's cheap. Reloading components brass, propellant, bullets, etc. have become ridiculously expensive in South Africa so keeping a semi-auto fed, especially in 7.62, can become an endless money pit.
I'm taking a financial knock every time I buy a scope new and sell it as used a few weeks later. I would really like the next scope I buy to be the last one I buy for this rifle, at least for the foreseeable future.

I would really appreciate any advice or recommendations. Are there any other 716 G2's out there who have had similar problems? What optics are being used successfully on these rifles with similar ammo combinations?
Mine was also difficult to get setup properly. I finally got there using Vortex rings on a Nightforce 2.5-20 NX8. Hand load 168gr SBTHP with 42gr of IMR4895 in LC brass. Recently started testing Shooters Choice Tactical Rifle with promising results. I run all the same loads in an HK MR762 and it's highly predictable out to 1K+

Last edited:
Mine was also difficult to get setup properly. I finally got there using Vortex rings on a Nightforce 2.5-20 NX8. Hand load 168gr SBTHP with 42gr of IMR4895 in LC brass. Recently started testing Shooters Choice Tactical Rifle with promising results. I run all the same loads in an HK MR762 and it's highly predictable out to 1K+

An easier solution might be, find some rings with inserts like the Burris signature rings so you can basically reverse the amount of decline in that rail. Save you a ton of money searching for the perfect scope that will work.

If you‘re that far off from zero one the optic, then something is not installed or aligned properly. As one other pointed out, I would ensure the base is oriented correctly and the rail is properly/securely attached to receiver. Never had one of those that wasn’t related to me or some type of misalignment.