• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Sig Sauer P290 vs Kimber Solo

Grumulkin

Sergeant
Minuteman
From looking at the specifications, it would appear that the Sig Sauer P290 and the Kimber Solo are essentially the same in weight and dimensions. Since I've never had a firearm made by either company, I'd like to know of opinions regarding the relative quality of firearms of said companies or, better yet, if someone has shot both, which do you like the best?

Re: Sig Sauer P290 vs Kimber Solo

Having held both, I will have to say the Solo is smaller and allows a higher grip.

IMHO the P290 is nothing more than a PM9 with a crappier trigger.

I liked the feel of the Solo better. The Sig felt like a block of wood. I'm not dogging Sig, I've owned many of their pistols, but they had their head up their ass when they designed this one. Personally, I like the feel of my Rohrbaugh R9 better than both of them.

I own the Solo. I like the grip and the grip angle. While a small gun, I find that it shoots like a "bigger" gun. Much less recoil felt than a LCP that I used to own.
The 290 I have only held at the store I felt like my last 2 fingers had nothing to hold onto. It may feel different when shooting.

You will need to handle each to see which you prefer. The trigger on the Solo is very nice. The 290 that I dry fired wasn't even close to as smooth as the Solo. Both are fine guns, you probably can't go wrong with either.

I would take a Solo, a used PM9, and the PF9 for the cost of a R9 and be much happier not changing springs every 200 rounds.

Ill dog Sig! This gun looks like Sig said, "Shit, theyre making ultra compact 9mm's now! Are you serious? Hurry up and make one guys!"

And they spent about 6 hours designing it. Seriously, Id expect much more from Sig, quite the disappointment. Especially when the P238 is such a nice looking and feeling gun, whether its functional enough I dont know, based on reviews from customers.

In all fairness to Sig though, I dont think anyone has put much thought into the subsub 9 design. The LC9 also felt like a piece of junk, namely the trigger. So far, the 709 slim is still the best one out there IMO...(and Im far from a Taurus fan).

And the Kimber, Im undecided. I really wish The 1911 Company wouldve went with a 1911 design since thats what theyre good at. Every time they dive into a different pistol design market they suck (think polymer). Weve sold I think 3 so far, and had to send one back to Kimber already, the customer had a whole laundry list of complaints including the magazine falling out after every shot.

For the record, you can change the R9 $5 spring every 500 rounds
grin.gif

All of those guns must have fallen off the back of a truck in order to buy them for the cost of a R9. I bought one at the last Dallas gunshow for $1080 with tax.
I also plan on buying a Kimber Solo, assuming I can find one.....

"5. Remove the guide rod and recoil spring from the slide, separating the two main components to allow inspection and cleaning. Note: Rohrbaugh Firearms recommends periodic replacement of the recoil spring after each 200 rounds fired. Replacement springs are available from Rohrbaugh
Firearms."

Page 10 of the R9 Owners Manual.

As stated previously, you can change the mainspring at 500 rounds, even though Rohrbaugh recommends changing it at 200 rounds. Rohrbaughforums is a great place to find info on these pistols. FWIW, Rohrbaugh recommends using Winchester Silvertips in the R9, even though FBI ballistic tests show that the Speer Golddot is more destructive.