• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig Sauer Tango-MSR LPVO 1-10X28mm or Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24mm LPVO

dexhwk

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2022
Iowa
Looking for opinions on these 2 sights as they are comparable in price. I'll be mounting it on my 400 Legend build for deer hunting which is in a open corn field so I will need the 8x. I've read some mixed reviews on the sig but I like the extra 2 power but it's not a must have. The issue I come into is I am a C5 quad so it can be a challenge getting a good eye box so I'm just looking for opinions on the 2 sights. Also open to other ideas but I need to purchase at Scheels.

Looking for opinions on these 2 sights as they are comparable in price. I'll be mounting it on my 400 Legend build for deer hunting which is in a open corn field so I will need the 8x. I've read some mixed reviews on the sig but I like the extra 2 power but it's not a must have. The issue I come into is I am a C5 quad so it can be a challenge getting a good eye box so I'm just looking for opinions on the 2 sights. Also open to other ideas but I need to purchase at Scheels.
Shockingly ... I have both. The SIG 1-10 is on my 300-BLK AR and it's awesome. The Vortex 1-8 is in my gun room cabinet and doesn't have a home. Both are great. Glass is similar, quality of both is solid. I like the SIG for the extra magnification (my eyes suck). I like the Vortex for the better eye-box. If you decide on the Vortex after your research is done, send me a private message and we'll talk about finding the Vortex a good home. I don't like such a nice scope sitting in the cabinet.

Is the vortex eye box that much better? Even at 8x? That’s my biggest issue with shooting. I have the sig as it was given to me as a gift but the mixed reviews along with my needs is my concern.

Is the vortex eye box that much better? Even at 8x? That’s my biggest issue with shooting. I have the sig as it was given to me as a gift but the mixed reviews along with my needs is my concern.
The SIG eyebox at 10x is tighter than the Vortex eyebox at 8x. At the lowest magnification setting, I'd have to say they're equivalent. It's a tough choice, they're both good LPVO's.

Reactions: MadDuner
Ah yeah I figured at 10x it’d be tighter. My plan is probably to use either at 8x.

Optics Planet had a sale for the SIG in Coyote 2nd focal plane with mount for $483.60
Got a SIG hat with it.
Bought one but have yet to open the box!
-Richard

Got the DM @dexhwk ... figured I'd share my findings with the group since I just tested both side-by-side. The bottom line with regard to the size of the eye-box is that with both at 8x, I literally can't tell the difference, as I felt like I was moving my eye forward and backward for the exact same distance. When the SIG goes to 10x, there's a definite shrink in the eye-box from the Vortex 8x setting. Noticeable, but not debilitating or disqualifying ... just a distance that's about what you'd expect. They're both super clear glass, both smooth controls, both capped turrets ... VERY similar optics in every way except for the extra 2x on the SIG. If the price is the same, I'd buy the SIG. If you can get the Vortex for less, I'd buy the Vortex. Also, think about mounts. The SIG comes with a nice mount standard, the Vortex doesn't (but check me on that. FFP and SFP are also considerations, depending on price and preference. I hope that helps.

Got the DM @dexhwk ... figured I'd share my findings with the group since I just tested both side-by-side. The bottom line with regard to the size of the eye-box is that with both at 8x, I literally can't tell the difference, as I felt like I was moving my eye forward and backward for the exact same distance. When the SIG goes to 10x, there's a definite shrink in the eye-box from the Vortex 8x setting. Noticeable, but not debilitating or disqualifying ... just a distance that's about what you'd expect. They're both super clear glass, both smooth controls, both capped turrets ... VERY similar optics in every way except for the extra 2x on the SIG. If the price is the same, I'd buy the SIG. If you can get the Vortex for less, I'd buy the Vortex. Also, think about mounts. The SIG comes with a nice mount standard, the Vortex doesn't (but check me on that. FFP and SFP are also considerations, depending on price and preference. I hope that helps.
Would you say the eye relief is good?

I'd say it's "just OK" ... not as good as the eye relief in the Leupold Mark-5 HD's I use on my long range rifles, but better than the eye relief on a cheaper Swamp Fox optic I occasionally use on other AR's. Drive to Bend Oregon and I'll host you for a side-by-side view-a-thon. Short of that ... you're probably at the end of my ability to accurately compare and contrast. :)

I'd say it's "just OK" ... not as good as the eye relief in the Leupold Mark-5 HD's I use on my long range rifles, but better than the eye relief on a cheaper Swamp Fox optic I occasionally use on other AR's. Drive to Bend Oregon and I'll host you for a side-by-side view-a-thon. Short of that ... you're probably at the end of my ability to accurately compare and contrast. :)
You’ve been great I really appreciate it!!

You’ve been great I really appreciate it!!
You're welcome. Any further advice falls into the "Consulting" category, where I typically charge $300/hr with a 4-hour minimum. LOL. Shockingly ... I used to get that much in my career field before I retired. Now I get "NUTHIN".

I have both.... the 1-10 Sig and 1-8 Vortex.
The eye box on the Sig is stupidly tight at 10X.
It’s still not as good as the Vortex at 8X.

So my preference is the Vortex.

Ah yeah I figured at 10x it’d be tighter. My plan is probably to use either at 8x.

You know the sig comes in a 1-6 and 1-8 for cheaper, right?

If you want the more generous were eye box I'd be looking at the 1-6.