• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig SSG 3000 or almost twice the price Sako TRG 22?

tmsbiro

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2020
Hi all,

I have been thinking about getting a classic law enforcement/military snipers rifle in .308 and one of the options was always the Sako TRG 22. As I was trying to make up my mind, I was offered a new Sig SSG 3000 with the 18" barrel in a GRS "Sporter" stock at about half the price of the TRG 22.

What to do? I don't/wont need both of them and just need (some help) to make up my mind on which one to get. Half the price and the possibility of changing barrels and calibres in under 15 minutes makes the SSG a very tempting proposition but on the other hand... a TRG is a TRG :)

Any opinions? What would you do?

you will not loose nothing with the SSG 300 I have shoot them both, the only drawback to the SSG is the lower magazine capacity onky 5 rounds while the TRG gas 10 rounds capacity

Sold my SSG 3000. Picking up a TRG tuesday.

The SSG is an amazing piece of work. It leaves nothing to be desired regarding precision or functionality. There is nothing the TRG can do that the SSG could not. The barrel swap feature is excellent and it takes five, not fifteen, minutes. And mine deviated .1 to .3 mils from previous sighting in when changing the barrel.

So I sold it and you may wonder why?
..... Because TRG.

Sold my SSG 3000. Picking up a TRG tuesday.

The SSG is an amazing piece of work. It leaves nothing to be desired regarding precision or functionality. There is nothing the TRG can do that the SSG could not. The barrel swap feature is excellent and it takes five, not fifteen, minutes. And mine deviated .1 to .3 mils from previous sighting in when changing the barrel.

So I sold it and you may wonder why?
..... Because TRG.

Thats hilarious. I bought one of the SSG3000 that were being imported and assembled is the US with the cheaper stock. It is hands down the most accurate 308 I've ever shot. I love the SSG3000 and don't plan to sell it but the TRG is a great platform with better support in the US. In Europe it would be a toss up as both are supported.

Thats hilarious. I bought one of the SSG3000 that were being imported and assembled is the US with the cheaper stock. It is hands down the most accurate 308 I've ever shot. I love the SSG3000 and don't plan to sell it but the TRG is a great platform with better support in the US. In Europe it would be a toss up as both are supported.
The "cheap" stock is the best of the bunch. A full stock length aluminium bedding block. It's an AI in disguise.

Limited funds. Limit to number of rifles I'm allowed to own and I still got another one I the safe...

Sauer is moving a big part of its production over to the US. You will be well taken care of.

Thanks for your opinions, much appreciated! I guess the SSG 3000 makes the most sense and I guess this is what I wanted to hear from someone else other than myself as well :) I have always had a thing for the TRG but an SSG 3000 at half the price means I could get started immediately with getting a Tikka T3x for a carbon fibre light weigh build.

I'm in Europe and support is better for the Sako considering the SSG 3000 is an older model. On the plus side for the SSG is the wide support for the STR 200 which is the Scandinavian version of the SSG 3000.

Thanks for your opinions, much appreciated! I guess the SSG 3000 makes the most sense and I guess this is what I wanted to hear from someone else other than myself as well :) I have always had a thing for the TRG but an SSG 3000 at half the price means I could get started immediately with getting a Tikka T3x for a carbon fibre light weigh build.

I'm in Europe and support is better for the Sako considering the SSG 3000 is an older model. On the plus side for the SSG is the wide support for the STR 200 which is the Scandinavian version of the SSG 3000.
Where in Europe? I thought you might be because you mentioned the GRS stock.

The SSG and STR are the same rifle (except the piccatinny scope mount) All parts are interchangeable.

The SSG is the most reasonable sharp shooter rifle there is. It wont disappoint.

OP, You're realistically not going to be spending enough money on ammo to wear out a 308 barrel.

Therefore, IMHO you should buy what fits your best after you have tried both models in the store...because both will last practically forever if you are on a tight ammo budget, as the life expectancy of 308 Win barrel is like 8000 rounds give or take.
8000 rounds. That could be four years of practice and competition. And gets less if you are required to shoot long strings during time constraints.

8000 rounds. That could be four years of practice and competition. And gets less if you are required to shoot long strings during time constraints.

...so lets say you save $300 per 10k rounds or $10,000 spent...thats 3-4% improvement in cost of ownership...it not really material amount (<5%) in the accounting world.

The math is way different with 6mm or 30 cal magnum. Those barrels are out at ~1500 rounds and out, users need to spend $4500 on 5 replacement barrels in the first 10,000 rounds. So in this case, if we save $1500-2500 over the first 10k rounds downrage rounds, we are saving 10-15% cost of ownership reduction...a more material amount.

In any event, if you are shooting 2000 rounds a year. its al the more imporant to try the ergos before you buy.

Just my humble opinion. Best of luck either way :)

BTW here is the latest version of the SIG, if you are interested I think its backward compatible if you ultimately go that route.

SIG200Phoenix-2020-660x577.png

...so lets say you save $300 per 10k rounds or $10,000 spent...thats 3-4% improvement in cost of ownership...it not really material amount (<5%) in the accounting world.

The math is way different with 6mm or 30 cal magnum. Those barrels are out at ~1500 rounds and out, users need to spend $4500 on 5 replacement barrels in the first 10,000 rounds. So in this case, if we save $1500-2500 over the first 10k rounds downrage rounds, we are saving 10-15% cost of ownership reduction...a more material amount.

In any event, if you are shooting 2000 rounds a year. its al the more imporant to try the ergos before you buy.

BTW here is the latest version of the SIG, if you are interested I think its backward compatible if you ultimately go that route.

Well shooting out a 308 barrel is a reality and since both are 308s (a real possibility) the comparison to other "calibers" is moot.

I do agree with you on the ergos though. I haven't tried the GRS-stock the SSG comes in.

Yeah, it's a Norwegean Vision chassis rebranded with the Sauer name. It's been used with good results for a couple of years now in long range competitions.

I'm more interested on the 200 Max stock which would make the SSG double up as as a light-er hunting rifle.

Lol they made it so you can’t mount a clip on ?

Lol they made it so you can’t mount a clip on ?

see post #10 and later...

Another owner of the SSG. I've had the rifle for a couple of years. It is a hammer.

To give you a specific data point - a couple of years ago my club sponsored a fun precision rifle tournament. 20 consecutive shots in 10 minutes at a 100 yard paper target. Whoever shot the smallest group wins. My center to center, 20 shot group with the SSG and a Bushnell scope, using FFGM, was 1.1"; and I actually pulled the last shot a little. Came in second to a guy shooting a 30 pound bench rest rifle, handloaded ammo and a very expensive 40x scope. He beat me by less than 1/10". When he saw my rifle he actually implied that I might have cheated and deliberately shot some rounds to the side of the target so as not to mess up my group. :)

Shooting 5 round groups you should see sub .5 MOA pretty consistently with factory match ammo.

Reactions: CerebralDistortion
Can’t help but comment As I own an SSG3000

The Pheoenix model from Sig is actually a barrelled action dropped into a Jet 01 chassis not the Vision chassis
Two different animal and from different countries

My SSG 3000 wears a Vision Chassis and is chambered in 260 Ackley for “gamer competitions”

It is superbly accurate and not hindered at all by 5 shot mag capacity / mag changes are intuitive and take a moment

In standard form then rifle comes in 308 but barrel extensions are available from AH larsen in Denmark or Benchmark barrels in UK / USA

Once a barrel is threaded to the extension of can be chambered in any .473” bolt face cartridge as the mag runs long and short action without any need for adjustment

In short - I’d have this rifle over the Sako and AI

I’ve owned and used both makes and many of their varaients

OP, You're realistically not going to be spending enough money on ammo to wear out a 308 barrel.

Therefore, IMHO you should buy what fits your best after you have tried both models in the store...because both will last practically forever if you are on a tight ammo budget, as the life expectancy of 308 Win barrel is like 8000 rounds give or take.

The original barrel will surely outlive me :)

With barrel change I was more referring to the possibility of changing barrel AND caliber within a couple of minutes, loosing 4 or 5 bolts.

Benchmark makes barrels and there are another few options in Europe;

The Sig SSG is designed to quickly swap out barrels with the provided tools. Consult your owners manual for details.

A SAMPLE OF COMPATIBLE CALIBER

22-243 6 Creedmoor 6.5 Creedmoor

243 6x47 6.5x47

260 6 REM 6.5x55

308 6 SLR 7x57

6XC 7-08

Can’t help but comment As I own an SSG3000

The Pheoenix model from Sig is actually a barrelled action dropped into a Jet 01 chassis not the Vision chassis
Two different animal and from different countries

My SSG 3000 wears a Vision Chassis and is chambered in 260 Ackley for “gamer competitions”

It is superbly accurate and not hindered at all by 5 shot mag capacity / mag changes are intuitive and take a moment

In standard form then rifle comes in 308 but barrel extensions are available from AH larsen in Denmark or Benchmark barrels in UK / USA

Once a barrel is threaded to the extension of can be chambered in any .473” bolt face cartridge as the mag runs long and short action without any need for adjustment

In short - I’d have this rifle over the Sako and AI

I’ve owned and used both makes and many of their varaients
Yes, sorry. Jet-01 not Vision.