• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig SSG 3000 Patrol 18"

gunnut284

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Orlando, FL
Anyone put their hands on the SSG 3000 Patrol 18" rifle? From what I've read it sounds promising but the question of whether the US made (and significantly cheaper) version will be of sufficient quality hasn't been answered. I haven't seen any range reports either. I don't even know if they have made it out yet though there is a 24" version on gunbroker.

SSG 3000 18" Patrol

Read an article at the barber shop in an outdoors magazine it was voted both best value and editors choice. Supposed to be very accurate. Made here.
I just bought a Savage Custom in a MacMillian stock with a criterion light varminter barrel or I would be very interested.

seems to be the same SSG 3000, just without the McMillan stock. The new stock does look very cheap, however there was a chassis designed for it bit I haven't seen any release info. For roughly $1,500 it should be a real value

I tried to buy one and was told by my dealer as well as Sig there was an 8 month wait. I was also told the US made rifles have a different stock and barrel but an upgraded action. Also, there is a debate about the US made rifles having a two stage match trigger or not. Nobody, even the guy at Sig, was able to tell me definitively about the trigger. I did find a review of the US made on the web somewhere and they said it was the most accurate rack rifle they ever tested. I think that is saying too much about any rifle on any day with any shooter and any ammo.

One other thing I heard is that there is a class, maybe for LE only, that you pay for, attend the class and come home with the rifle. I tried to find info on it but gave up once Sig confirmed the 8 month wait.

Once it became 8 months I decided to buy a Remington 700 XCR tactical long rifle chambered in .300 win mag and build-up from there. My 10 day wait is over tomorrow, finally. Longest two weeks of my life.

There are somewhere north of 400.000 Sauer 200 rifles in Scandinavia. Basically a SSG 3000 just with a laminate stock.

A couple of retailers from my country where at Shot Show and looked at these rifles and where very dissapointed! Mostly because of the stock!

Its very positive that it has a integral Picatinny rail!! But I`m not sure about the trigger or how the barrel is attached ( quick change or threaded ).

Someday I'll get ahold of one of those Sauer 200's in the Moose Biathalon version. I've almost picked up the old SSG3k here in the US a couple times but the ergonomics of the stock were just wretched and the price was well over a TRG. If they had brought in the wood stocked versions it would have been very popular here as a target rifle (if it was under $2.5k) and may have trumped the TRG. This new one could be interesting so hopefully they can get production numbers up.

They did have one in a chassis at SHOT, however I heard that the chassis was actually intended for the Blaser for the PSR competition.

We wanted to make a chassis for one also to finally give it the stock it deserved but the way they did the action is very weird and it looked to be impossible. Another stock maker who is on here from time to time was trying as well and it doesn't appear he accomplished the goal either.
Justin

I just learned a couple weeks ago a coworker had an unfired SSG3000 (the one in the McM stock).

We took it out for the first time last week, to print a couple groups at 200 yards. With zero load development (gave him ammo from my 308 - 155scenar, 45.5gr Varget, Lapua brass, Tula LR primer) it was sub 1/2 moa right off the bat.

On wednesday we took it to 600 yards (same ammo) and it was drilling the X ring (3") and 10 ring (6") with ease.

Nice little 2 stage trigger, bolt looks like what Badger Ordnance must've copied for their M2008/M2014 action, with a 3-on-2 lug pattern. Nicely made, tight lockup but smooth. Overall very nice rifle though the barrel is a *little* skinny for my tastes.

Don't know if we got lucky on ammo, the barrel is simply not picky, or if all of them would be like this...but his rifle is a winner.

Last edited:
I'm going to see if I can get my hands on one somehow. I understand some of the comments about the stock but the description and the pictures in a couple SHOT videos I found sound similar in construction to the Blaser (plastic/rubber over aluminum chassis) and our Blaser stocks have held up very well.

Here is one with the McMillan: http://www.kammeret.no/bilder/albums/userpics/10083/normal_20130410_132521.jpg

Since this is a subsidised target rifle in Scandinavia, we can buy the barreld action and put it ourself in a McMillan stock for $2600.
Mine came with a test target of 0.3 moa in 308.

We can buy 6.5x55 or 308 barrels for $600 and we install them ourself in 3 min.
22lr conversion sets costs $1150
6BR barrel costs $870
All this is with a 25% sales tax, so remove that, and it becomes even cheaper still.. ( as most of you are excempt from sales tax? A few atleast )

You can also order a trigger with 500grams of pullweight, thats 17oz? I`m not sure if it goes lower.. perhaps.

Most active shooters ( 400.000+ in Scandinavia ) have one or two Sauer 200STRs. On in 6.5x55 and a back up or in 22lr for indoor practice. Few use it in 308.

Massoud: I would higly encourage you to try harder to make that stock! There is a growing interest in long range shooting in Scandinavia, and most people are discovering that its no point in sending a Rem 700 to a smith to make a accurate rifle, when you can apply for a 6,5 or 308 or 6BR or 22lr and have it shipped within 3 days that outshoots basicly everything except a high high end custom... and doing it at half the cost!

I am just amazed that nobody in Scandinavia has not done it themselves yet! I woud also encourage you to use a larger cheekpiece, perhaps source the 200STR rifle cheek piece, as basicly half the year is spent shooting the rifle in sub 50 degree weather. Aluminium is not something you want near your face for long in those temperaturs!

The chassis I handled at SHOT was a regular metal one that looked like most of the other ones out there with an AR grip. It wasn't anything like the Blaser stock, the standard Blaser stock looked more functional but for some reason they wanted to have the chassis built for the Blaser to enter in the PSR competition, so I heard.

We definitely won't rule out the 200STR/SSG3k chassis until we actually have one to measure but it doesn't look good. Our cheekpiece currently is not aluminum, and we do now have a kit to use the large rubber Victor Co AICS cheekpiece with our stock, and we are planning to release our own nice comfortable new cheekpiece this year.

Justin

Last edited:
Massoud: I know of that chassis. There where alot of talk about it in different forums!! Many would have orderd one if they where available! However interest died out when the producer or retailer could not answer anybody when, or if, or what about it.

I have a Sauer 200 TR and love it!! I also have a TRG and love it as well. As far as quality its a toss up. I think the Sauer trigger feels exactly like my TRGs, just as smooth, precise, and crisp. The action runs like it is on ball bearings. I have a 22lr conversion for it and only shoot it as a 22lr, I have yet to shoot the 308. I have been trying for a year to get a few extra mags for the 22lr from Sauer and just cant seem to make it happen. If anyone knows where I can snag one or two I would appreciate it, and would make it worth your while.

As far as the new SSG3000, I have called Sig in NH about it and they knew very little about it. The person I spoke with was just reading info off the internet but I had some very specific questions. I understand that not everyone is a subject matter expert but they didn't even offer to find out and call me back. Kinda crappy CS. I am not very impressed with the new stock and think that it is wrong to "cheepen up" a bad ass rifle just to get into a larger market for more profit. I do like the new chassis, it looks like it may be nice. I hope they have not loss any of the quality with the new action though. It has an integrated pic rail which is very nice but I don't know if they changed the barrel mounting system because that design is very nice! Maybe they will start offering barrels in other calibers here in the US, a 260 would be sweet. They have also changed from 18X1mm threaded muzzle to a 5/8-24" which may be better in this market but I like the larger diameter and finer threads especially for suppressors.

I hope that this turns out to be as nice as the original, as I just may snag one. OH Justin Ill be in for a chassis if you ever come up with one ; )

How many do you want jbell? They cost $75-80 depending on the currency exchange. Then shipping would be another $50-60.

It all depends if the US customs define the magazine as a weapon part.. The US has become very very strickt with importing and exporting weapons, and parts.

Northman that is sweet!! Thank you. I will do some research and see what the legalities are so we are both safe. I will get back to you thank you again. Sorry for the hijack of this thread...

I have the 24" one shipping today & as I understand it's the same German made barreled action in a US made stock with the barrel threaded 5/8x24. That's why the finish on the flashhider is a bit different than the barrel, it was put on here. I can't believe they dropped the price that much. I should have bought 2.

I was told by Mil rep @ Sig the actions are now made in the US. But that may be just what he is being told...

I was told by Mil rep @ Sig the actions are now made in the US. But that may be just what he is being told...

It's hard to tell from looking at it. The action doesn't explicitly say "Made In USA" - it just says SIG Exeter NH. The barrel is marked Made In Germany, but that's not necessarily an import mark for an actual firearm - it could be referring only to the barrel. I can say that the receivers are noticeably different between the German and US versions in that the US has an integrally machined M1913 scope rail, while the German model's rail is slid onto the receiver and affixed in place (screwed, IIRC). I didn't pull the German model apart to inspect, but from an external handling and feel perspective, I really couldn't tell any difference between the two actions. The bolts definitely appear to be German, for what it's worth.

My biggest issue that I see with this platform is the lack of aftermarket stocks. It doesn't look possible to retrofit bottom metal cut for AICS mags because the receiver itself wraps around the magwell all the way to the bottom of the stock: you'd have to cut away massive chunks of the receiver to have any chance of getting an AICS mag anywhere near the bolt itself. McMillan offers their stock direct on their website...but it's $900. It doesn't appear that the new US (or Israeli?) stock has any bedding in it of any kind, which is another way they kept prices down. There's apparently some sort of new folding chassis available in the US from Sig for the 3000, but it's marked at $1500 retail based on EuroOptic's pricing.

The 1/2 MOA test target is a positive sign, but I'd like to see some actual range reports from these rifles to see whether that stock makes any difference or not.

And the only photo I can find on it:

DSC_0029.jpg

1/2" or better Out of the box, I don't need no stinking bedding! LOL:p
What will it do after fine tuning? This rfle/price took everyone by suprise, I think accessories are not far behind. The action alone is worth the asking price & I love the way the barrel comes off & the 6 lugs lock into the barrel. The built in scope rail just makes the action more rigid. I like it so much I just scored a second one.:rolleyes: According to SIG everthing is German but the stock & flashider.

Last edited:
Hello from Canada!

I recently picked up one of these from a Canadian dealer and I should have it in my hands by mid next week. If you have any questions, feel free to post below and ill try my best to get you an answer. This is also my first time handling one of these beasts so please bare with me :D. I'd love to sit down and compare it with its german counterpart if possible.

Xopher

I should be receiving mine some time today (at least thats what the tracker says). If i don't get too caught up, ill write something up quickly and maybe snap a few pictures.

Does this one have the ability to change barrels and use the rimfire conversion? The stock looks like it was made by Rubbermaid, similar to the plastic on the industrial carts used by janitors.

From the info I gather yes you can as on the SSG3000 and the 200STR/TR rifles. It is the same action as best as I can tell but with the addition of a pic rail. If you have a line on the conversions please shoot me a PM as to who has them. I have one right now on my Sauer and would kill for an extra mag or two and even a second barrel so I could chop and thread it. ;)

Initial Impressions

After dealing with an incompetent courier service (Canpar for those Canadians out there), I finally received my rifle late this afternoon. Unravelling the mixture of cardboard and foam reveals a gorgeous large sized hard rifle case with the "Sig Sauer" logo engraved in the center. The case that comes with the rifle is similar to those massive "flambeau" double rifle cases you can get at most sporting stores.

Inside the case, I found:

Sig Sauer SSG 3000 Patrol Rifle (Finally!!!)
Cleaning kit in some sort of green nylon case
Instruction Manual
Bolt
Test Target (German)

The latter of items were found in a serial number marked cardboard box.

Now to answer a few of the rumours and speculations:

The rifle barrel is stamped "Made in Germany" along with the expected german proof markings and date codes. With the exception of the stock, I am pretty sure the rest of the rifle (Barrel and Action) were built in Germany and sent to the states for final assembly. The trigger is in fact an adjustable 2 stage trigger. I do not have a trigger weight scale so I cannot comment on the factory set weight. The patrol stock is also anot cheap rubbermaid plastic as others have speculated. In my hands, it feels really solid and sturdy. It may not be in the same league as Mc Millian but its definitely decent enough to get you shooting. The only problem with the stock is that the finish is somewhat "delicate". Any use or wear will definitely show with this type of texturing.

Based on my 5 minutes with the rifle, I am so far very impressed with this package. I will be doing further testing with it in the next few days.

Chris

Sweet! I can't wait to hear more feedback and how it shoots! I had no idea it would come with a hard case. I expected it would not for that price.

Does that cheek pad feel solid when secured? That part looked a bit flimsy. Does it feel uncomfortable handling from a standing position?

Admittedly I'm going to be hunting with the .308 that I buy, and I was hoping I could just manage that beast. I'm sure it's a dumb idea, but the new SSG intrigues me.

I actually really like the cheek piece.

In my opinion, this design is suffice for anyone who's going any casual shooting on the range, i highly doubt it will survive a helicopter drop. With the plastic sig uses, the cheek is really comfortable as it gives off a soft and warm sensation. My cheek piece also has zero play if thats what your wondering about.

I guess you can say the rifle handles "decently" in a standing position. I personally would not recommend bringing the full size version (mine) around in the bushes but then again im the person who likes go in with something light and compact.

One thing to note, as most of you probably know, the rail on this rifle has no cant on it for additional elevation and it is machined as part of the rifle action. This may be a deal breaker for those who are looking to shoot REAL far. (I know im a little disappointed :( )

Anyone put their hands on the SSG 3000 Patrol 18" rifle? From what I've read it sounds promising but the question of whether the US made (and significantly cheaper) version will be of sufficient quality hasn't been answered. I haven't seen any range reports either. I don't even know if they have made it out yet though there is a 24" version on gunbroker.

SSG 3000 18" Patrol

I was helping a friend set up his SSG 3000 at the range and got to shoot it for the afternoon. Nice McMillian stock. Best trigger I have ever pulled, my Huber and TRG being second. I printed several five round groups that were in most cases an easy 1/2 MOA. Very accurate gun, little heavy however. I have been looking for one for a while now, rare.

That said, the new stock looks a little cheep, hence the price cut. Personally after days behind a rifle if I'm not comfortable then it's not worth it.

Last edited:
Chris, was the test target actually shot (has holes in it) or was it a print off from a target cam? The one that came with my Sauer (308 barrel) is a print off from a target cam or some other electronic scoring device and the 22lr barrel is actually shot. I was just curious. Also how was the test target, and what info was provided on it? Does the rear action screw still go up threw the grip of the rifle?
Thanks for the update!

I picked one up a few weeks ago, mine didn't come with a test target that I could find. Odds are someone took it out of the box along the way before it made it to me. I am not terribly upset since a test target is just one small sample of the rifles performance and the real test is how it does in my hands. I love everything about this rifle except the stock. Zero moa rail isn't an issue for me because that can be fixed by optics or mount choice. The cheek piece on the stock doesn't have any play when it is locked in place, but it will collapse with too much weight. When shooting prone I had the cheekpiece collapse on the right side during recoil nearly every shot. Maybe its just my misshaped head or something I am doing wrong, but I am looking into changing the stock. The McMillan looks nice, but in a perfect world manners would inlet the t4a or t5a for the ssg 3000. Stock still has the action screw through the grip as well.

Or maybe krg will make a version of the whiskey 3 for the ssg...

Last edited:
The test target they gave me has actual holes.

From what I can decipher, it says rifle model, caliber, bullet (diamond 168gr), fabrikat? (norma), laborierung? (Some weird set of numbers, serial number and a signature.

I'm actually on my way out right now. Let me know if there's anything else you need

I'm looking forward to more range reports. Those of you that have them, how do the mags look, are they sturdy enough to take punishment? How is the stock bedded.

jbell, have you gotten any info. on the availability of .22 conversions? I've read your posts re. your daughter shooting and the rifle's performance in the 6x5 thread. That's a shooter and the availability of the conversion is a deal breaker for me.

QH, I have no leads on any of the conversions or the accessories for them. I have tried for over a year to get an extra mag for my 22LR with no luck. I first contacted J.P. Sauer's US office and they tired to get me one but after several months and MANY phone calls and emails they told me Sig Sauer handles all the stuff for these rifles. So I contacted Sig (actually several times to make sure the person I was speaking to was correct) they told me that J.P. Sauer is who handles them. I have all but given up...

Some more research has provided some answers, kind'a. Sig's site says the stock has a bedding block but it also says the trigger is single stage. Who knows?

Sorry to hear from jbell about the conversions to .22. If the .308s perform as described, SIG would sell a shit ton of them if the .22, 6BR and 6.5x55 conversions were available. Northman, thanks for all the info. I will now repair to the armchair and drown my sorrows with my friend Johnny Walker.

Some more research has provided some answers, kind'a. Sig's site says the stock has a bedding block but it also says the trigger is single stage. Who knows?

Sorry to hear from jbell about the conversions to .22. If the .308s perform as described, SIG would sell a shit ton of them if the .22, 6BR and 6.5x55 conversions were available. Northman, thanks for all the info. I will now repair to the armchair and drown my sorrows with my friend Johnny Walker.

The trigger is actually two staged unlike what it says on their website. Also, my instruction manual says I have a 1 in 12 twist barrel and not the 1 in 11 as suggested by the Sig specs.