• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SIG STR 970

Reloadyour9

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
Encino, Ca
Hey guys, noob here to the forum. Have been lurking for some time, and have read a lot of interesting and informative threads.

I have been wanting to get into the long range shooting for some time, and was considering a 700P, but came across A Sig STR 970 and couldnt pass on it. as a matter of fact, it has pushed me into the support rather quickly.

Had a few questions. Have not read much on this rifle, and can't seem to find much onfo on the net. Was wondering if any of you had any experience with this rifle, and even better, offer some useful info on it.

The rifle is LNIB with only 80 rounds through it, and chambered in 300 Win Mag. It came with a Leupold Rifleman 3x9x50mm, which I know is not the best of optics. What kinf of accuracy can I hope to get out of the scope and to what distance?

any info on this rifle would be MUCH appreciated.

Looking forward to the new sport, and learning a ton from you pros.

Thanks,
Reloadyour9

Re: SIG STR 970

I didn't have the STR 970 but I did have an SHR 970 in 300 win mag for a while. The only difference is the stocks and the fluted barrel, I think. Anyway, those Swiss made Sigs are some damn fine guns.

Very accurate out of the box. Shot around .5 moa with 190smk FGMM.

One of the smoothest bolts I have ever felt and very easy to take down and swap out barrels and bolts. Just make sure you grab a 20moa mount for it. I know US optics makes a good one for it and EGW makes one as well, for a little less.

Depending on the price I'd say it is a damn good choice until you can build yourself a nice custom. And you are DEFINITELY going to want to upgrade the glass ASAP.

SHR Swiss Hunting Rifle

STR Swiss Tactical Rifle ( or swiss target rifle)

differnce bieng, fatter barrel-mcmillan stock.

When Blaser-Sig-Sauer alle became one, instead of carrying on with the best ( but cheapest = less profit margin) rifle, they dropped it,

shame shame shame..

realy good rifle, will be a collectors item one day. keep it.

bits are scarse, ive been thinking about manufacturing the barrel extension and offering spare barrels, as the supply is about dry.,.

Pete

Pete-

I too would be in for a barrel or two. Would like to see one in 308 as well as 270 wsm. When it comes around, let us know.

Have not shot this rifle as of yet, but I have heard good things about it. (although there is not too much out there to read about)

My reason for hopping on this is because I knew they were scarce and that I wouldnt lose any money on this. Downfall is.....it looks like we are a year or so out from barrels!

I've got a SHR970 in 270 as my hunting rifle and it shoots dimes. Excellent rifle. I would love to find a STR970 to go with it. FYI, CDNN has (or had) mags, bolts, barrels and stocks for them. Not sure what, if anything, they have left.

I've got an STR in 300.WM, nice rifle but since production stopped a couple of years ago, it will be hard to find any spare parts.

Add me to the list of SHR 970 owners who would be interested in buying parts should you decide to manufacture them. I have a 7 mag that I use as my primary hunting rifle and picked up an extra 7 mag and 300 win mag barrel when they were still available, but I fear the day when I will have shot out the barrels and won't be able to use this outstanding rifle.

I bought an unfired STR 970 from a sig dealer. Super nice weapon. The first three rnds through the rifle at 100 yrds were inside an inch. Once broken in these guns will shoot.

Enjot it.
Dean

reloadyour9,
I also just purchased a 970 STR in .300 win Mag. I have also made a post requesting info on this particular rifle. Let me know how she does on the range, I will also pass on my info. I have also started a post to find out more info on the STR.
So far I have bedded the front bedding block and first 1.1 inch of the barrel channel. I will have to wait until US Optics creates more bases before I take it out. I am still doing research , but I intially intend to try 190 VLDs & SMK as well as the .208 AMAX with H1000 powder and Winchester brass. keep in touch about any tips or upgrades.

Shane