• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SIG Trailside problems, inconsistent trigger pull!

goose_boy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
NW Iowa, Spencer
Hey guys, have had this Trailside for a little more than a year now. Shoot it a fair amount, and the girlfriend loves it! It has a red-dot on it, and usually shoots lights out. My problem lately is that while shooting our local pistol league (25ft, one handed.... 4 targets 10 shot each no time limit, 2 targets 10 shots each, 2 5 round sessions 20 seconds, 2 targets 10 each, 2 5 round sessions in 10 seconds.), my trigger pull is extremely inconsistent. It makes it very tough to shoot the pistol accurately! One shot I take up the slack on the trigger and it goes off unexpectedly, one shot I take up the slack like normal and then it seems to take 8-10lbs to get it to fire finally. I had fired some Aguila's through it that waxed it up good and were causing some problems so I cleaned it all out and then switched to CCI Standard Velocity rounds that have always worked great through it. Anyone that knows this pistol have any ideas why this might be happening? My dad shoots the same pistol and we have always shot the exact same rounds through both, his has no problems.... I shot his and he shot mine and we both agreed. I will be tearing this thing apart today to see if I can find anything. This is a hell of a shooter, 10 shots touching off the bag at the range, but I just can't control it good enough with the trigger as it is. TIA!

Re: SIG Trailside problems, inconsistent trigger pull!

Update - on a league with a 500pt max, I finally tore my pistol clean apart and found the problem. It was fouling in the hammer where the sear contacts. This made an incostistant/poor contact of the sear and I was very lucky I didn't get double firing and/or full auto firing. Anyone that reads this that may have this same pistol, it is a PITA to take that hammer/sear/main spring assembly out, but it is vital to safety and accuracy to take it out and solvent wash/scrape all the wax and residue off. I went from shooting a 350-380 round to a 432 round.... my best of the year, unfortunately I didn't figure this out until the last round or I could've been in contention for the win. Hope this saves some trouble for someone! Good shooting to all!

I used to have a Sig Trailside. Hated it. The problem with mine was that every couple of shots, a spring under the right grip that
pushed the trigger bar up to engage the sear would pop out of place. I ended up JB Welding it into it's socket, which did the trick. Check yours to make sure that it's engaging properly and consistently. Or do what I did: sell it, and get a Beretta 87. Or better yet, a S&W 41.
wink.gif

I know exactly what spring you're talking about Davinho. Never had a problem with that one at all, other than trying to find the damn thing when I go to put it all back together! That is an odd problem, the grip should hold it in. Was the grip screw overtighted warping the top of the grip maybe? Also sometimes if you adjust the take up in the trigger down too far it won't allow the bar to re-engage the sear after a shot. I have had great luck with this gun, my dad has the same one and his runs great as well. Dad got his new, after shooting it for awhile, one of the guys in the league decided to sell this one. 6" barrel with 4 mags for $300. Only thing wrong with it was it was absolutely filthy (I don't think he ever cleaned it and he shot ALOT), and the slide catch was rounded off from him slamming the slide shut without taking the pressure off of it first. The slide catch was a $10 part, and 30 min to clean it all out. She's a shooting machine, my last rapid fire (5 rounds, 10 seconds, two sessions) I shot a 97/100. I'm thrilled with it!

I have a problem with the slide staying open. Goose_Boy was this your problem with yours? It must be the slide catch since it does it with all the mags.

kn

It was a few years ago, but I don't think I over tightened the grip screws. And I think it was the end that pushed against the trigger bar that out of place, since the base fit into that little semi-socket. But the free end would pop over or under the trigger bar every couple of shots. That, and I didn't like the plastic trigger. But if it works for you, yours is the only opinion that matters.