• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig vs. Leica LRF Binos

Which, based on your experience, is the way to go based on my needs?

• Sig Kilo 10K

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Leica Geovid 3200

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Other (state in post, please)

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

crowe938

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
Colorado
I know there are other threads on this topic - I have read most of the posts. Still need a bit of advice to push me one way or the other.

In short - need LFR binos. These are for ranging steel for competition - not really ELR, but would be nice if I get into it down the road (reliability out to a mile would be great). No hunting or bird watching. Need a ballistic solver w/ multi-gun capability to switch between guns quickly for team matches.

Not spending the money on a Vector. Swaro and Zeiss are out (based on what I have read) due to poor laser performance. So, seems that the Sig Kilo 10K or the Leica Geovid 3200 are what it boils down to.

Sig - Laser and onboard app are as good as it gets. Quickly switch between gun profiles. No need to pair w/ Kestrel. But glass is mediocre (and the blue tint issue).
Leica - Laser is mediocre; onboard app not that great; can pair with Kestrel but must stay paired. Glass not as good as Swaro, but very good.

So here's the choice - will the Sig glass hold me back? Will the Leica be a pain having to pair with Kestrel and deal with battery/connectivity issues over the course of an all-day match?

Appreciate your input - especially if you have hands-on experience with both or either. Thanks!

Owning both, I say sig is your better option. The glass isn’t bad, it just has a tint. The laser is definitely better and IMO the Bluetooth is better. That said, even the sigs need to be 8’ or less from kestrel in my experience or you will lose the connection.

Reactions: crowe938
Haven't looked through the Leicas so can't comment on them. I have the kilo 10k and am happy with it! LRF was the primary tool I wanted for ranging steel for PRS matches and some spotting. Will be used for hunting but haven't gotten the opportunity yet. In a few more months though...
I've been able to spot trace often times so glass is good and clear. It does have a slight tint but from my experience (which isn't very much) it doesn't affect clarity.
Was able to use them at night as well, they have good light transmission. I would say noticeably worse than the naked eye, but not by too much if that helps you out at all. I would buy them again.

Sig has the better rangefinder/technology package.

Leica has better optics.

So you have to ask yourself if you prioritize optical clarity of the binos for observation over the technology of the rangefinder. Personally, I prefer the better optics. It still ranges really well, just not on the level of the Sig but the Blue tint of the Sig is very noticeable and I do not care for it.

This is my thought right now (I reserve the right to change my mind at any given time :p):
Unless you "need" the absolute best optical performance, the Sig Kilo 10k is the LRF Bino to beat, I just don't see anything better on the market in regard to LRF performance, display usability and price. Sigs optics are known for the blue cast of yesteryear that most manufacturers seem to have fixed, it annoys the heck out of me when observing, but it's certainly usable.

The sig gives you the ballistic solution immediately in the first display flash. I didn't realize how much I needed this until I saw it in play. Takes seconds off your time to bullet on target.

Thanks to everyone for their responses and their input. Really very helpful to push me over the edge to making a final decision. What I really want is Sig to partner with Swaro to get Swaro glass in the 10K package. That would, obviously, be ideal. But if the Sig glass is "good enough" for spotting targets in various conditions (especially unknown target stages) then it sounds like the Sig is the way to go.

Again, appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Thanks to everyone for their responses and their input. Really very helpful to push me over the edge to making a final decision. What I really want is Sig to partner with Swaro to get Swaro glass in the 10K package. That would, obviously, be ideal. But if the Sig glass is "good enough" for spotting targets in various conditions (especially unknown target stages) then it sounds like the Sig is the way to go.

Again, appreciate the feedback.
Sums it up very well