• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sig vs Mec-Gar Springs??

kellogg2185

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Simple question, hoping someone knows just off the top of their head. I have both Mec-Gar marked and Sig Sauer only marked 13 round 9mm mags for the 226. I didn't pay attention when disassembling for cleaning, and noticed that one or the other has longer springs. Followers and magazine base plates all appear to be the same. Any clue of which magazine body gets the longer spring? If so, why is one longer than the other, for the same marked capacity?View attachment 7250632View attachment 7250632View attachment 7250632

Attachments

• 20200215_215957.jpg
    20200215_215957.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200215_215952.jpg
    20200215_215952.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 23
What's really odd is that mec-gar is now the OEM for Sig.

Guess you'll just need to buy a few more mags, pay attention when you disassemble them, and then you'll know. Or they'll be completely different again, but you'll still have more mags.

Simple question, hoping someone knows just off the top of their head. I have both Mec-Gar marked and Sig Sauer only marked 13 round 9mm mags for the 226. I didn't pay attention when disassembling for cleaning, and noticed that one or the other has longer springs. Followers and magazine base plates all appear to be the same. Any clue of which magazine body gets the longer spring? If so, why is one longer than the other, for the same marked capacity?View attachment 7250632View attachment 7250632View attachment 7250632
I have both. I can check in the morning if no one has given you an answer by then

Edit- just saw that yours are 13 rounders. Mine are all 15+

Is there a problem with putting one of each spring, in each mag body, and trying it. Whichever combo works best, go with that.

You've only got 4 different possibilities there, 2 of which are bound to be 'right'. Just try fitting and cycling.

The longer springs go with the mags that have the indents at the botton. Look at the matching cutout of the plate that is attached to the spring.

Reactions: kellogg2185
Yeah I asked the question a little prematurely. I was given these once a recent group switched to the Glock, but they were in rough shape so I had them soaking to clean. Once they were all cleaned up and lubed, I figured it out pretty quick. Only thing I notice now is that the Mec-Gar marked mags have issues with the followers sticking horribly after rounds 4/5 are inserted. Will have to tinker with them and see what the issue is. Thanks for the replies fellas.

Yeah I asked the question a little prematurely. I was given these once a recent group switched to the Glock, but they were in rough shape so I had them soaking to clean. Once they were all cleaned up and lubed, I figured it out pretty quick. Only thing I notice now is that the Mec-Gar marked mags have issues with the followers sticking horribly after rounds 4/5 are inserted. Will have to tinker with them and see what the issue is. Thanks for the replies fellas.

I'd be hard pressed not to toss them and buy new ones for $30.
An unreliable mag isn't worth the time.

I have had mags go bad at the range.

SOP is drop them, stomp them, kick them, say mfr 3 times fast and look in gear bag for replacements.

Anyone that laughs has to buy a round at the watering hole after shooting.

Reactions: kellogg2185
I worry about accidentally grabing a bad or unreliable mag in a bad situation and suffering the consequences.

Not kidding when I say stomp and toss for any firearm mags that may be self defense.