• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig1911 .22LR or .22LR conversion kit

EventHorizon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
NC
Anyone use either of these regularly? Are they worth it? Does practicing with a .22lr translate to better shooting when shooting the .45? My main issue is recoil management through 'rapid' shots on spread out targets (4' apart or more). Getting the front post back to where I want it is the main issue. Would .22lr shooting help with this if it means more shots fired?

I'm considering .22LR just because I have plenty of it and not so much of the .45.

Thanks.

I have the SIG (but GSG is the same gun, they make it for SIG, GSG less money)
after change out barrel bushing an guide rod, an metal sights to replace plastic one's runs
great use mine in 22lr speed match

obviously not much help in the recoil management dept, but will help in getting better draw, 1st shot on target, trigger reset control and sight picture.

you have to expect a little less control getting back on target with the .45 as well as doing it with the .22, but the .22 will help with the mechanics of everything leading to that.

Thanks guys, the first shot is important (I'm not doing this for competition) so just for that alone then I think I'll go for it. Where can I learn more about trigger reset control?

I got a GSG 1911. Wanted the same grip angle, control positions, etc. that my 45 (Rock Island GI style) has vs. my Ruger Mk II as well as cheap and (at that time) plentiful ammo. Has it made me better with the 45? Dunno...

Even if it doesn't help with your accuracy, it is a cheap(er) way to build muscle memory for reloads, safe on/off, etc.

Another bonus is that mine is picky about how the mags are loaded especially when it is dirty. If I'm not paying attention (and even some times if I am) it will fail to feed on the 2nd or 3rd shot but it will cycle the action completely, so I get to practice "no go boom" drills.

Thanks guys, the first shot is important (I'm not doing this for competition) so just for that alone then I think I'll go for it. Where can I learn more about trigger reset control?

it's pretty easy,

1. pull trigger, gun goes bang

2. keep trigger pulled all the way back

3. while regaining sight picture, easy up on trigger until you hear and feel the "click" in it, don't move finger forward any more than that

4. once back on target squeeze from that trigger position.

basically it's "picking up the slack" in the trigger by not allowing to get slack (or creep) in it.

from there it's "shooting the recoil", sort of a vertical tracking drill-toned-down-bump-fire using the first shot as a well placed one and relying on how quickly you can squeeze off additional rounds while the muzzle is rising. sort of a double tap on steroids. but slow and steady first building a pace.

Tactical Pocket Pistol Tips -- Trigger Reset - YouTube

this one gives a good description:
Self-Defense Tip: Practice Trigger Reset | The Truth About Guns

Nelson Custom .22lr conversion kit!! I run 2 of these in competition and they are ACCURATE!

Design by Bob Marvel and is his model 1 conversion that was so sought after, only this is better!
Iron sight rail or a 1913 rail on top for an optic
Standard or threaded barrel

Larry Nelson makes them in Mesa, AZ. Nicest guy on earth, and will usually answer the phone during normal business hours unless he's on the fire truck.

I cannot promote this conversion enough! Mine has 4 national championships and more bullseyes than I can count,

Nelson Custom Guns, look it up, you won't be disappointed.

They make the nighthawk custom conversion, its a Nelson with a different engraving. If you kept up with SHOT this year, Chris Costa was pushing the Nighthawk which is a Nelson Custom Guns conversion.

So I tried that trigger reset today. Awesome way to blow through a ton of .45 ammo!

It's not as hard as I thought it would be but the challenge is still getting that first shot off smooth and quick and on target. I think I'll go for the .22 conversion kit. The Nelson looks pricey but what the hell...

I have a GSG. If you shoot a lot you will replace the plastic guide rod and spring. I have went through a slide on mine already too. About 10, 000 round or so. The catch wears with the slide being aluminum. But for a $400 trainer. Builds muscle memory, sight alignment, all the good stuff except recoil management. It is a great gun to practice with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Have owned the Sig 1911-22 for about year. At first encountered it being picky with the ammo brand until I used a bore brush and held it in my fingers and "sanded" the frame rails. I believe the paint was a bit thick causing dragging between the slide rail and the frame. Now I can use any high velocity ammo. Had seen a youtube video where the guys used different grits of sand paper to do the same thing and I just decided to use the bore brush being much less abrasive. The Sig is close in accuracy to my Ruger 6 inch bbl MK 1.

Well spoke to Larry at Nelson, wonderful gentleman. Looking forward to giving the kit a run for its money. Just got the 4k rounds of .2LR so some smoking barrels are in my future.

I have the Sig 1911-22, great gun for the price. Good to practice with just like what everyone else has said. Plus its a great gun for new shooters to start with. I went with a stand alone 1911 22 trainer instead of the conversion kit because i wanted to have something for new shooters to try and i didnt want them using my nice 1911.

marvel,advantage arms and nelson conversion are all design by one person..id look the differences i think the nelson is better improved BUT ive heard they all use the same match barrel..so accuracy should be the same..im using advantage arms and i like it better than my gsg. unless you want a dedicated 22 in 45 config then go with gsg or sig

GSG is the same as a Sig?

I compared the Sig, GSG and Walther/Colt at Gander Mountain and the Sigs' weight seemed a lot closer to a 1911 than the GSG or Walter. The Walther was a disappointment because of how rough the action was. It is hard to believe they are the same gun.

Last edited:
The kit arrived. I chose the threaded barrel in case "Mossad" ever becomes a verb or sport....

Very well made, nice and easy install. The customer service is superior - FedEx screwed up and Larry called me to say he's handled it while I was calling FedEx to bitch.

Will fire a few hundred rounds in the next day or so and see if the extra cost over a GSG was worth it.