• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Sig220 Mag release manipulation

Jon Lester

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2004
Tazewell . Virginia
Working with the 220 combat quite a bit lately and I have found that even though i have large meat hooks, hitting the mag release with the strong is impossible while maintaining a shooting grip. This has never been an issue with the 1911 or 34 Glock, firing hand thumb always hits the mag release easily but I find with the Sig weak thumb engaging the release is faster. How do you do it?

Re: Sig220 Mag release manipulation

I don't have a problem releasing the mag with my strong hand on either my 220 or 229.

I think the slide catch is a bitch to actuate, mag release not so much.

After bending the slide catch out a little, I am getting it ok, but I completely have to ungrip to make my strong hand get the mag release.

Haven't fired a 220, but on a P226 I can't quite reach the mag release with my strong hand either. The fastest reload I've been able to perform consistently is to to rotate the frame with my support hand as it moves to go for a new mag. The empty mag is flicked out of the way while I bring a new mag into play. I hit the slide release with my strong hand thumb as my support hand moves back into place.

I carry a p220R for work. I have to break my grip a little to reach the mag release. It's not a deal breaker for me though. I just had to train a little more with this platform.
Considering caliber, slim profile, and DA/SA trigger it's a great pistol.