• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sig556 DMR, DPMS 556 Mark 12 or Centurion Arms

limamike56

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
Western North Carolina
Sig556 DMR, DPMS 556 Mark 12 or a Centurion Arms Mark 12 Mod 1 Upper on an existing Colt HBAR lower? I am looking for a DMR in .556 and have found a couple of good deals locally on both a Sig556 DMR and a DPMS 556 Mark 12. Any thoughts, perspective and experience on the accuracy, reliability of these options would be appreciated.

Re: Sig556 DMR, DPMS 556 Mark 12 or Centurion Arms

I had a sig 556. I never shot groups with it. It was relaible but i got rid of it because my ARs felt better.

I don't have experience with the other 2 options but from what I have heard about centurion that would be my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lIMAMIKE56</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Centurion Arms Mark 12 Mod 1 </div></div>

If you can afford it, this is the one to get, no question. High Caliber Sales also has Mk12 uppers with the correct Douglas barrel and parts.

The others may shoot fine, but Centurion/Monty is a class act.

Using my HBAR lower with a Centurion Arms Mark 12 Mod 1 upper the cost difference is actually less than $250 between the three.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GYZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the KAC LPR!!! It's awesome!!! </div></div>

Thanks but I am teally just looking at these three options right now.

Me personally I would go with the SIG just because I like running suppressed and it's nice to not get spit on by your gun. That and I am a fan of sig rifles in general and I have enough AR's.

I'm practically in the same boat but the true to spec mk12s put everything else to shame. HCS or Centurion arms no question.

HCS - I bought a Mk18 upper about 4 months ago and loved it so much that I bought a Mk12 upper as well. High Caliber Sales makes outstanding products and the service I received has been second to none. I had them build my Mk12 on a KAC URX and it's a beautiful piece of work (that shoots as good as it looks).

I mounted both of my uppers on a LWRCi M6A2 lower. The LWRCi upper has been an outstanding upper, but I am always using one of my HCS uppers.

I have a Centurion built MK12 Mod 1, and it is absolutely top notch. Accuracy is consistently <.75moa with Southwest or Black Hills 77gr SMKs.

<span style="font-style: italic">"I have a Centurion built MK12 Mod 1, and it is absolutely top notch. Accuracy is consistently <.75moa with Southwest or Black Hills 77gr SMKs."</span>

Thanks. I wanted to use a preban Colt HBAR lower with the Centurion built MK12 Mod 1 and upgrade the trigger do you see any problems with this setup?

centurion mk12 uppers are gtg. the one i had shot sub moa out to 300 yards.

heres my dedication to the mk12. no other ar's ive shot even come close.

IMG956849.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MK12 MOD0 SPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">heres my dedication to the mk12. no other ar's ive shot even come close.

IMG956849.jpg

</div></div>

What did you use for a lower receiver? Thanks.

Switch between a colt le6920 with timney and a pof gen3 ambi with kac 2 stage. Colt is more for tactical shoots and pof is strictly long range prone and bench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lIMAMIKE56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-style: italic">"I have a Centurion built MK12 Mod 1, and it is absolutely top notch. Accuracy is consistently <.75moa with Southwest or Black Hills 77gr SMKs."</span>

Thanks. I wanted to use a preban Colt HBAR lower with the Centurion built MK12 Mod 1 and upgrade the trigger do you see any problems with this setup?</div></div> Sorry, haven't been back to this thread in a couple days...

Are you talking about a Colt lower with the funky sized pivot pin? If so then I would use a different lower with standard size pins. I find absolutely nothing special about Coly unless you're trying to go for a more "accurate replica" in which case there's nothing wrong with that.

Mine is built on a set of JD Machine Sniper's Hide receivers a couple years back from the group buy on those. Monty got the upper straight from them and I put together the lower myself.

7361763236_06e83029e3_z.jpg

And here is why I don't like messing with the oddball size pins since it requires an adapter to mate up with a standard pin upper. I travel with mine and have to break it down/assemble it every time I use it. Got to keep it locked up from young curious fingers...

480417_301475573277512_351753597_n.jpg

Thanks for the excellent information. That is a beautiful Mark 12 in the picture.

Actually this pre-ban Colt HBAR does have the funky sized pivot pin which is always a problem breaking the rifle down. I was going for an accurate replica but you are right about the pivot pin and I would break it down often for transport. I missed out on the JD Machine Sniper's Hide receivers group buy when it was available. Is there another lower you recommend for this build?

Most any of the forged lower receivers would be sufficient and I won't go into who's better or whatnot. I would start with your local dealer to see what they have to save on the FFL transfer fee, then just build it from there. My biggest recommendation is get a good trigger. The Geissele SSA-E that I'm running is magnificent.