• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Sight height & ballistic calculators

philodox

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2007
Athens, Ga
I've been using the center of the bore to the center of the tube on my scope for the 'sight height' number on JBM's ballistic calculator. Been doing it that way for years.

Have I been doing it wrong all this time? Where are you supposed to measure the distance from? Being 1/2 in off on the sight height can make the ballistic calculator way off. Thanks!

Re: Sight height & ballistic calculators

Yes, it can make a difference at longer ranges. Measure from the center of the scope tube to the center of the bore.
Mine is 2.25" from center to center, which is a little high. Most are around 1.75" with the bigger scopes.

Center of the bore to center of the scope tube is exactly correct.

And, going from 1.5 inches to 1.75 inches makes a 2 inch difference at 1000 yards with my load on a standard day. That's 0.06 mils, less than 0.1 mils, which is as close as I can dial or hold.

So, your measurement is fine. It's highly unlikely that you could be a quarter inch off on that measurement.

Changing parameters in a ballistic program can help you find out what matters and what doesn't.

When doing calculations always keep in mind cumulative error. Or if you are unfortunate enough to have all errors fall in one direction you will be off more than your worst error.

Didn't mean that for you and Chad, Lindy. You two are way beyond my skill level and I think I am pretty darn good.

Oh I'm not off or anything. I just wanted to make sure I was using the correct measurements
smile.gif
Thanks guys.

And my measurements are 2.125" from center to center using a Premiere Heritage on a FN SPR.

A normal sight height error has a very limited influence in the predicted trajectory donwrange, <span style="font-weight: bold">and the effect is the same regardless of caliber or load.</span>

If you have a 100 yds baseline zero, and a sight error X, the error at 200 yds is X, and then gets larger with distance, but even at 1000 yds is only 9*X.

Since most people can easily measure their sight height within 1/8", this means you have an error in the order of: 1/8" * 9 = 1.125" at 1000 yds, or 0.1 MOA, or 0.03 mils. This is less than a click and completely lost in the noise.

Here's how I do it and it's always been on for me
P6120518.jpg

P6120517.jpg

not tryin to be too anal, but if you used a 20MOA base wouldnt there be a difference between the eyepiece to bore and objective to bore... especially if the scope is 14"+???

The difference between the front and back of a 5" 20 MOA base is 0.03 inches.

I've already noted that a quarter of an inch of that measurement doesn't make a difference that you can hold.

cool, so I guess it doesnt matter what part of the scope the measurement is taken? at the eyepiece, at the turrets or the objective. am I correct?

Measure in the middle. It's basically the average of the .03" difference for you anal people
wink.gif

It doesn't matter the objective height, or its projection at the bore due to a slanted base...

<span style="font-weight: bold">We aim the scope through the internal erector tube NOT the outer case</span>. If the scope is zeroed at 100 yds the erector is at the same height and angle no matter how many MOA you have in the base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the scope is zeroed at 100 yds the erector is at the same height and angle no matter how many MOA you have in the base.</div></div>

Yep.