• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Sight height for ballistic apps

Re: Sight height for ballistic apps

Center of your optic to the center of the bore was how i was shown and yes it matters.

Been covered many times. Here's a thread
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1632313

From a link in the above link to another thread on it
P6120517.jpg

or this
P6120518.jpg

Both work just fine for adding height to ballistic software. No need for complicated formulas.

Thanks...mine was off almost an inch and that only changed it by 2 clicks at 800yds. (1/10 mil)

Where you will see the big difference if off that much is under 100 yards when compensating for the sight offset. If shooting only 100 yards and out get withing .25" and you will be fine. If in close then I like to be as close to perfect as possible.

I'm sure there are more precise ways but i use a small model builders square and measure from the bore axis/centerline of the action to the middle of the ring gap. I think the vent hole on the action and the top of the stock line are pretty close to the bore axis. If you search on here there are formulas to add all the measurements up ie the diameter of the action divided by 2 plus base height plus ring height. I have tried this and come out just as close to measure it with the square. less math. Im sure some of the techno masters on here can give you a more precise answer though.
HTH
Rad

If you want to get really anally retentive about it (like I'm prone to do), take a caliper and measure the diameter of the scope tube and bolt. Add them together and divide by two, save that dimension (dimension "A"). Now take an inside caliper and measure the distance from the bottom of the scope tube to the top of the bolt (dimension "B").

Add dimensions "A" and "B" and you have your exact dimension.

. . . . . but the ruler trick above is really close enough.