• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sighting Distance.

txrpls

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
I have always wondered about this and I know it probably doesn't make a hill of beans, but are there any specs. of where the measurement are made for sighting in? Is the distance measured from the end of the muzzle or or the recticle on the scope. Forgive me for being anal, but I am a land surveyor and precise measurements are my forte. Just curious.

Re: Sighting Distance.

It also seems to me the sighting distance would be from the muzzle since that where the terminal balistices begin.

Since you are a PLS, I understand.

Ballistics are based on muzzle (i.e. muzzle velocity).

Reticle tracking - from reticle (relative position inside the optic) to target.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txrpls</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Forgive me for being anal, but I am a land surveyor and precise measurements are my forte. Just curious. </div></div>

It will be more important ballistically that you pull your 300ft tape to the proper tension when you measure the distance, be it from your muzzle or erector
wink.gif

Don't mind me, I'm just a lowly grading foreman/gradechecker and am used to correcting surveyors' "precision" in the field......