• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sighting for 250 Yards

SavageShooter819

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
I haven't done any shooting over 100 yards, and currently have an unsighted scope. The range I just joined has the shorter rifle range closed for work, so the closest target is 250 yards. You cannot do any shooting there less than 250 yards right now. A 250 yard target is not that easy to see with the naked eye. How do I sight my scope for that??

Re: Sighting for 250 Yards

Without a spotting scope--you don't. Unless you put up a 4'x8' sheet of shoot and see targets.

My guess is thaat you are not yet reloading. Unless you get really lucky you will spend a small fortune in ammo before you get it sighted in at 250--plus errant rounds have a way of screwing up target frames.

if the scope is not zeroed at any range it will be hard, but you can still bore site at around 100 or even the 250) and walk it in from there

if it is zeroed at 100 just work out the inches/moa/mils you need to come up depending on the caliber you are using, most i have used are around the 2>4 inches of drop at 250 with a 100 yard zero

when you are at the range, there should be some willing people around to help out

First zero the scope at 100 yards. You can get on paper with one or two shots at 25 yards and then go to 100 and it will be within a few inches.

Then when zeroed at 100 yards dial up your data needed for the round you have. With a .308 it will be around 3.5 MOA. That should get you on paper at 250. You can go to JBM Ballistics and run a chart for your ammo to get the exact come up.

What is the backstop like behind the 250yd target? If there is something behind the target, simply boresight the rifle (at 250 yds) and then add an approximate come-up for 250yds. You'll be very close. A spotter will help you with the fine tuning. If you don't have a spotter use one of the range line personel.

Depending on how much recoil there is, If you can see/spot your misses through the scope, you can make corrections. Otherwise you'll need someone to spot for you and call corrections.

Bore sighting should get you in the same zipcode but it may/may not be on paper at 250yds. It's best to sight in at 25yds (to make sure you hit the target) then move out to 100yds, etc..