• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sighting in a rifle & scope

wreckingball

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2010
Pincourt Qc Canada
i was aiming dead center 100yrd
P6150002.jpg

Of the large targer ............

larger target 100yrd
P6150001.jpg

small target 200yrd
P6150003.jpg

Re: Sighting in a rifle & scope

I don't get it. Is there supposed to be a question in here? You say you were using an incorrect scope, what are you talking about? If your asking for help (which it looks like you need) then ask a question and give us some real info. Was this a 12GA with 00Buck through an Extra full turkey choke, or a "Prescision" Bolt gun with problems?

Yah, I'm a bit confused myself. What is the purpose of this thread?
If you are asking us to help you then let me be the first to offer my $.02
To me it looks like a combination of poor quality ammo and poor mechanics.

Try some dry fire practice and some higher quality ammo and that should help tighten things up a bit.

That only answers what you were shooting at the pictured target. Do you have a specific question that is supposed to be connected to this thread?

I'd say work on your breathing by the way the target looks. And get a quality scope!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try archery. </div></div>

LMAO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G.Ruff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Must be a Savage with a super sniper. </div></div>

Oh no you didn't, those are fighting words right there!
grin.gif

To the original poster, you should work to get your groups tighter than the ones in the pictures. The SPS V will do much better than that. If the scope is junk, trash it and get a better, like a super sniper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G.Ruff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Must be a Savage with a super sniper. </div></div>

I was wondering if you have had a bad experience with Savage Rifles in the past. The Super Sniper portion of your comment is understandable, prior expereince or not.

Ok I think I spotted a few problems
1) Mussels live in the river and don't use scopes
wink.gif

2) You still haven't provided enough usefull info
3) You still haven't asked a definite question

A cheap scope from Wally World would probably hold zero and do better than that. Do they have Wal-Marts in Canada?

If your wanting us to say this accuracy is acceptable or not, not for a rifle unless your hunting barn doors.

Ditch the scope for a cheap one that is like a 3-9x40 or 10x40. Read through the Fundamentals of Marksmanship in the getting started in long range shooting thread. Work on the basics and tighten those groups up. Once you get to where your shootin an inch and half at 100yds stop using targets that big. Print out 6-8 one inch circles and start putting one round in each if that takes ten rounds per dot do it. Eventually you will be able to clean that. Then you can two things, go out farther, and start doing LowLights dot drill.

Now is there any questions that you would like answered? I would have given you links but it takes too long typing on my phone. Hopefully this helps you out though.

Apparently there is not a form similar to a 4473 that asks if you are mentally defective, that you have to fill out prior to purchasing a firearm in Canada.

OK. Go look at the scope. On the top and one side there will be these things sticking out. They are caps on the adjustment knobs. Remove them and you will see that the scope can be adjusted by turning those knobs in one direction or the other. Carefully doing that while at the range shooting will let you get all those holes into the target center. Even with a mussel loader scope.
And BTW, it's muscle loader instead of mussel loader.
wink.gif

Wreck, I am going to be gentle, go to your local range find a sage that is willing to impart some knowledge on you with regards to the art of shooting, you will only benefit from it, otherwise you will be wasting your money everytime you pull the trigger.

He did put up some youtube videos a little while ago to "document" his rifle. I was board so I watched them. He is running a Rem 700 Varmint (26'' barrel and cheap plastic stock) in 308. He also has a Harris bipod and a Bushnell muzzle loader scope I think.

Personally, I can't see the scope being responsible for all of his problems. They are designed to stay zeroed just like any other scope. If I had to guess, his biggest problems are as follows: (in order starting with the biggest)
1) failure to properly apply the fundamentals of marksmanship
2) likely poor quality ammunition
3) that terrible stock that cannot free float the barrel
4) lower quality glass (possibly crappy mounts as well)
5) the stock Remington trigger

Well the reply's that are of help and decent.

Aron-

You need to read up on the fundamentals of marksmanship and try to be concious of what you are doing right and wrong. What ammunition are you using? That can make a huge difference in accuracy. Did you clean the barrel before shooting? What rings/base are you using for your scope? Is everything torqued properly with a torque wrench? Is your barrel contacting your stock? There are so many variables here... Perhaps not the best choice in websites to discuss the basics, but there are people willing to help- Even Canadians. You guys have nice hookers.