• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sighting in at 100 meters. But im allready on 1 1/2 rotations.

NQM

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2024
Germany
Hey people of the forum. I got a problem with my new scope. I recently bought a zeiss lrp 3 and mounted it on my cz 527 in .223. While bore sighting i allready saw that my crosshair was like 1 to 1 and a half meters above the target on 100 meters. So i needet to turn my turrets a lot to get the zero on 100 meters. I evetually got it, but i jused like 10-13 mrads to get my zero. For my hunting situations its not a problem because i have enuf elevation left, but it just bothers me that im allready using that much elevation on 100 meters. i got a 20 moa base installed aswell and my scope objective is about 1.3 cm over my barrel. i checked that my zero stop was all the way down aswell, but i dont see how that would change anything, since the distance the crosshair needs to tavel to the target stays the same. Only option i got in mind is that i get a canted mount for my scope? but is saw other videos of people having the same distance between their scope and barrel. help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4881 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4881 (1).jpeg
    887.2 KB · Views: 56
So when you bore sight your scope, the turret rotations are backwards, down is up and up is down. So is that making you think your scope lost all it elevation? Your scope is zeroed in the bottom half of the scopes elevation by 20moa or 6 mils. I'm not sure I understand your question fully.

So when you bore sight your scope, the turret rotations are backwards, down is up and up is down. So is that making you think your scope lost all it elevation? Your scope is zeroed in the bottom half of the scopes elevation by 20moa or 6 mils. I'm not sure I understand your question fully.
I turned my turrets in the direction bullet impact up. That is making the crosshair go down. i was schooting way low. I needet to turn it for like 10 mrad at least to get on paper.

Must not have bore sighted it very accurately but if it's zeroed, it's zeroed.

It takes a bit of finesse to get it bore sighted on paper. The more you do it the better you'll get.

How much travel do you have left?

If there's 3.5 turns of the knob, that means 1.75 is center, and you're under center.

Don't those have like 40 mil of adjustment? And you'll need about 10 before 223 is useless?

Bore sighting lasers are useless. I'm much closer pulling the bolt and literally using the bore to get on paper.

The Zeiss lrp 3 has 46.5 mils of elevation according to the data sheet. By my calculations, you should have 25-27 mils of up available with your 20 MOA rail when you zero at 100 yards.

The Zeiss lrp 3 has 46.5 mils of elevation according to the data sheet. By my calculations, you should have 25-27 mils of up available with your 20 MOA rail when you zero at 100 yards.

Nik that's the 4-25.He has the 6-36 from the pic which has 32 mils.

OP, bore sighting is not exact. Get it zeroed and then see how much elevation you have up. Also using your amount of windage used can effect elevation left. But that said you end up with what you end up with. You have enough for your use so don't stress anything. Also you adjust the zero stop so if you wanted under the 0 then you can set it wherever you want.

On another note, the amount your scope objective is off the barrel means nothing. When putting in the sight height for a ballistic program its from the bore to the center of the scope tube. Measure it from the bore to center of windage knob and it will be fine.

Reactions: Nik H
Nik that's the 4-25.He has the 6-36 from the pic which has 32 mils.

OP, bore sighting is not exact. Get it zeroed and then see how much elevation you have up. Also using your amount of windage used can effect elevation left. But that said you end up with what you end up with. You have enough for your use so don't stress anything. Also you adjust the zero stop so if you wanted under the 0 then you can set it wherever you want.

On another note, the amount your scope objective is off the barrel means nothing. When putting in the sight height for a ballistic program its from the bore to the center of the scope tube. Measure it from the bore to center of windage knob and it will be fine.
Thanks, I missed that. Agree with boresighting being inaccurate as well. He should still have ~20 mils of up.

Reactions: Rob01
He should but that's assuming that his base to dovetail is giving him the 20 MOA. Never know with factory set ups. If he used 13 mils then he will have about 19 mils left which is more than enough with a .223 so he just needs to not worry about it and go shoot. LOL

Reactions: Nik H
NQM, technically the reason for a sloped rail is to center your reticle at your most-used range setting. This potentially offers you the maximum left-right windage range if you click for range correction, and to center the crosshairs in the middle or clearest, no-distortion center of your lens column.

For an 80-grain Berger launched at 2600 fps that's somewhere around 670 yards with your 20-MOA base. At 100 yards you should be ~6.7-ish MILS below the middle of your elevation range (~16.5 MILS up from bottom) with the Zeiss 4-25x50.

Zeroed at 100 you should technically have 29.9 MILS remaining before you run out of up adjustment range.

Last edited:
NQM, technically the reason for a sloped rail is to center your reticle at your most-used range setting. This potentially offers you the maximum left-right windage range if you click for range correction, and to center the crosshairs in the middle or clearest, no-distortion center of your lens column.

For an 80-grain Berger launched at 2600 fps that's somewhere around 670 yards with your 20-MOA base. At 100 yards you should be ~6.7-ish MILS below the middle of your elevation range (~16.5 MILS up from bottom) with the Zeiss 4-25x50.

Zeroed at 100 you should technically have 29.9 MILS remaining before you run out of up adjustment range.

He's not using a 4-25. He has a 6-36.

Ah.

Let's assume 10 MILS per rotation (per the manual, 20 per youtube), 32 MILS total.

With 32 MILS total elevation range, ideally half that is center-of-tube at 16 up from bottom. A 20-MOA slope zero will be ~6.7 MILS down, or 9.3 MILS up from bottom for a 100-yard zero (approximately one turret or 1/3 its range). Total available "UP" around 26.3 from zero-stop, or two turrets and change).

Someone please check my math.

Last edited:
Ah.

OK, so with 32 MILS total elevation range, ideally half that is center-of-tube at 16 up from bottom. A 20-MOA slope zero will be ~6.7 MILS down, or 9.3 MILS up from bottom. Total available "UP" around 26.3 from zero-stop.

Ideally his reticle will be up 1/3 its range (approximately one turret from bottom) for 100 yards and centered in the scope at 670. He should have around 1 and 3/4 turrets elevation before he runs out.

Someone check my math.

20 moa is about 5.8 mils so with 16 up and down in a perfect world he should have about 21.8 mils of up on a 20 moa base. But it's never perfect and scopes usually have a little more than advertised for elevation. If he is up from bottom 10-13 mils from bottom then he is in the normal range on a 20 MOA base.

Reactions: Nik H and sinister