• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Sightron or Bushnell for AR-15

Chambo32

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2012
I currently have a Buckmaster 4.5-14 on my RRA Predator Pursuit and want to upgrade. Looking to keep it under $800. I have narrowed down my choices to either the 4.5-30 Bushnell Tactical or the Sightron 8-32. The furthest I have shot with the gun is 550 yards, but would like to be able to shoot out to 800 with the new scope. I also want to be able to use the gun for some coyote hunting and I have a feeling the 8x is not low enough. Do I need the 30x on the top? or would I be ok going down to a 24x scope? Which scope should I go with?

Re: Sightron or Bushnell for AR-15

I have a 6-24X50 Sightron SIII and it is an excellent optic. I would recommend it highly. I can't say that I have had a bad bushnell and I have had a few. But, I like this Sightron--it ranks right up there with my Leupold Mark 4, maybe better and for half the cost. You won't be disappointed with a Sightron. I got mine from Scott at liberty optics.

I run the 8-32x56 SIII and it impresses me more and more everytime I have it out.

I've shot 3 coyotes under 30 yards with it this year, 2 were moving. I've got about 17 years of waterfowling under my belt though, it helps me to get on those close targets with relative ease. One of those moving dogs was shot on his trott away from seeing me at about 10 feet, he died about 15 feet away.

So, depending upon you, 8-32 may be perfect or not, 6-24 would probably be safer if you don't know.

I've owned the Bushnell 6500 4.5-30, this sightron is noticeably better in clarity, Sightron SIII wins here for me.

I have no problem taking my AR15 to 500yds with my Leupold 3-9x40. I will however be upgrading to a Vortex PST 2.5-10x44 for the EBR-1 reticle. Since you're wanting to use it for hunting as well, I would look at the PST 2.5-10x44 or 4-16x50. I own the 4-16x which is wonderfully bright and plenty magnification for extended ranges.

Another thing to look at is elevation adjustment ranges. The Bushnell you mentioned has 50 MOA of internal travel (25 up/down) while the Sightron has 70 MOA (35 up/down). The 70 MOA is a guess as on Sightron's website, only the WINDAGE adjustment is listed. Compare those to the 75 MOA of the 4-16x50 (ok, not much improvement) or the 86 MOA of the 2.5-10x. The more internal travel, the farther out you're gonna be able to reach.

One thing I regret is being a "mag whore" while entering into the LR shooting range. I have a 8-32x56 NF BR and a 12-42x56 NF NXS. Rarely am I able to crank those all the way up due to mirage issues. In retrospect I would rather have gotten the 5.5-22x56 scopes.

As with every post, these are my opinions so take it for what it's worth. Also....
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3122105#Post3122105

Sightron has the MOA reticles available in the 6-24 and the 8-32.
The 6-24 has 100 MOA of travel. I have some of each and think they are about the best in the price range. Their glass is very good for the money and the tracking is excellent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sightron has the MOA reticles available in the 6-24 and the 8-32.
The 6-24 has 100 MOA of travel. I have some of each and think they are about the best in the price range. Their glass is very good for the money and the tracking is excellent. </div></div>

I see where the 6-24 has the moa reticle but not the 8-32. I'm basing it off of this website:
www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=6

Ah, now I see it. Sorry about that, I'm blind and original post has been changed to reflect that.

I too like sightron nice glass for the money,

Zeiss has a few offerings in your price range that would fit well on an AR platform as well, their lower end ($400-$900 lol) stuff is pretty decent for hunting and mid range shooting out to 500yrds

The new Sightron III 6-24x LRMOA is a great scope, well worth the money. Tracking, glass all spot on, currently mines sitting on top a .338LM.