• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sightron or Leupold

ipscmaster

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
North Carolina
I am considering a sightron big sky 24x scope or a Leupold 25x scope and would like any feedback as to the attributes and negatives of each and which you think would be the better of the 2.. Thanks for any input.

Re: Sightron or Leupold

Of course it depends on what you are planning to use it for, how you intend to use it, and which scope it is.

If all you are looking for is general advice: I would not buy a Sightron unless it's an SIII; and I would buy a Leupold because when you decide to get rid of it, and you will, there will be more people willing to buy it based only on the brand name.

Just FYI. I found my Mk4 8.5-25x50mm to be a little on the "dark side". I typically ran it at 25x to use the reticle. I'd recommend you look through the higher mag scopes and make sure they're what you're looking for.

I have no issues with light transmission on the 6.5-20's.

Before I went to NF's, I had a Mk IV in 6.5x20x50 and 8.5x25x50. 6.5x20x50 was a good scope, Despised the 8.5x25x50 from the first day I shot it. But neither one is in the NF ballpark, not in money either
grin.gif

I have never owned a Sightron so I can't speak about them. I have used many Leupold scopes at work and its what I choose to use on my own rifles. I recently sold one of my SFP MK4's and replaced it with a MK4 ER/T 8.5-25X50 M5 TMR, but I won't be able to tell you how it performs until I get home in another 3 months.

Conventional wisdom here will be to save your pennies and get a Nightforce, USO or S&B, they all excellent scopes. I like the USO's best personally, but they are all more expensive. I have had good luck with Leupold scopes and I can get them substantially cheaper than I can get the other three.I still see a USO in my future, but I keep finding other things to spend my money on in the meantime.

If you have any issues with your Leupold scope, Leupold will fix it regardless of where you bought it or if it was used or new. I would call Mike at CS Tactical. He give you an unbiased educated opinion should be able to point you in the right direction,without having to deal with the "fan boys" or "haters".

you absolutely should buy the sightron based on the consensus of the hide. according to the hide, leupolds suck...

Have owned and own both Sightron SIII, and Leupold Mark4 optics. Clarity/resolution gets a very slight edge in favor of the Sigtron in my book, but glass quality is pretty damn subjective. All 4 scopes were repeatable for me, but I haven't exactly put them through the throw in the dirt/blow up with tannerite tests either. Did get a chance to do some side by side comparrison testing, and it was pretty much a toss up, with the slight edge in glass in favor of the Sightron as I said.

I still have one of the Sightron SIIIs on my .260 as it is a range gun that won't see any shooting at anything living. My Mark4s have been replaced, and now I run a US Optics ST-10, which is about the same price with their military discount as a Leupy 6.5-20 depending on options.

Leupolds suck? I've owned Leupolds of various flavors for 25 years Latest is a VX3 and never had a single problem and don't know anyone in my shooting club that has problems with leupolds. I also own NightForce and don't see that much difference in glass quality. The one thing in favor of the NF it appears to be more sturdy. With Leupold you can't beat it's customer service from everything I hear. For combat I'd choose NightForce. For everyday use Leupold. Just my 2 cents

I run a US Optics ST-10, which is about the same price with their military discount as a Leupy 6.5-20 depending on options.
What I knew nothing of this???? Is that for active only???

I have a Sightron SIII that I shoot F-Class with, to me it is well worth the money. I have never looked through the SII, but a buddy just got one, so I will try it out. I have Leupolds, but think my next scope purchase will be another Sightron.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bubb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I run a US Optics ST-10, which is about the same price with their military discount as a Leupy 6.5-20 depending on options.
What I knew nothing of this???? Is that for active only??? </div></div>

I've used Leupy's discount for a 4.5-14x50 with TMR, for almost the same price (within $50) I got a ST-10 MOA/MOA with M40 turrets (about the only upgrade).

I'm active, but if you have some connection with mil/LEO it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

Sightron over Leupold? Youve got to be fucking kidding me. Standard issue SH leupy bashing.....what a joke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sightron over Leupold? Youve got to be fucking kidding me. Standard issue SH leupy bashing.....what a joke. </div></div>

Maybe you could tell us which Sightron's you are comparing to which Leupold's so we know how you became such an expert on the matter? Seems like most in the thread are comparing scope for scope with real world experience.

I have been a Leupold guy for a long time. However, in the last couple of years I have been going away from them. Not because they are bad scopes but because I think you are paying for the name more than the features.

I currently have a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 on my 308 and just yesterday shot it side by side to my Vari-XIII 6.5-20 that is on my 204. I like the Sightron better. Not to mention that a comparable Leupold would be a couple of hundred dollars more money. I do understand that I am not quite comparing apples to apples but pretty darn close.

Another sightron SIII fan here. For the money they are a great scope. Vortex is another scope line that is offering more for your money. Leupold better get on the ball before they find themselves a thing of the past.

I have had leupy and sold them all after getting my first sightron, I like the IOR a little better now but that's for another thread. Nuff said

Owned and shot a Sightron SIII 6-24 on my remmy 308 for about two years. Absolutely love the scope. I can shoot 100yds, to 200, to 600 and back to 100yds and have a tight group!!! I have shot a leupy mk4 on friends rifle. Both get darker on the higher power, above 22x. The Leupy costs more but you get the name (if that's important to you) and better resale value...