• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sightron S III 6-24x50 MOA Reticle.......

Jager66

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2011
Northern VA & Northern Italy
Hi Gents, hello to Everyone.
I have just signed up and I am here bothering already...
smile.gif

I am thinking of buying a tactical scope and do not wish to spend too much $$$, although I do not want to give up on quality too much (difficult combination, I know).
Since I have heard good things on Sightron riflescopes, I am thinking of buying the new 6-24x50 with MOA Reticle.
Is there anyone who can spend some words (good or bad) on it ?
Use I intend to do would be long range hunting and some 500 yds. target shooting.

Also, is the MOA reticle a good one for my purpose ? ...and, would it be easy to master (matching turrets) ?
I do not like MD too much.

Last, but not least, could you suggest who has the best price for these scopes ?

Thanks a bunch.
J

Re: Sightron S III 6-24x50 MOA Reticle.......

Check out the SS Groupbuy. A lot more scope for $150 more and you still have a day left to get in on the group buy. Granted, you may have to wait a while. I've not looked through this particular model, but I have played with the 8-32x56 SIII version. The turrents are nice. I did notice the image got noticeably darker past 24x, not bad, but noticeable. With the MOA reticle in that scope, the dot is .25 moa but you have to be at 24x to get it that small. That is why I steered away from it. I like to be in the 12-18x range for shooting steel and the dot would simply cover too much for my liking. However, it may suit you fine.

I have the target dot model of that scope. Basically the same except I just have a center dot without all the hashes. It's an excellent scope with incredible glass. The size of the dot is not an issue for me at all. I have a SS 5-20 on order and will compare the glass between the two when I get it. I don't anticipate much difference though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the SS Groupbuy. A lot more scope for $150 more and you still have a day left to get in on the group buy. Granted, you may have to wait a while. I've not looked through this particular model, but I have played with the 8-32x56 SIII version. The turrents are nice. I did notice the image got noticeably darker past 24x, not bad, but noticeable. With the MOA reticle in that scope, the dot is .25 moa but you have to be at 24x to get it that small. That is why I steered away from it. I like to be in the 12-18x range for shooting steel and the dot would simply cover too much for my liking. However, it may suit you fine. </div></div>

A lot of assumptions, considering that you haven't owned either one...

I've looked through the target dot models of the Siii 6-24 and 8-32 and the glass is real nice, and the clicks are nice and positive. It would be a good scope for the money. I think SWFA price matches, my FIL is ordering a 8-32 Siii with the MOA reticle through them today. Another very nice scope in your price range is the Vortex Viper PST, I have one in 6-24 with the moa reticle and love it, the glass compares really good with the sightron Siii's, the clicks feel better to me and it has a lighted reticle.

The only assumption I made is that the SS would be a lot more scope for $150 more. I guess we should not take LL's, jasonk, JonA's word for it.

The rest of the info I passed on was based on the 8-32 model I used. The only thing I said about the 24x was the size of the dot being .25 moa at 24x and that is a fact. It covers too much for me at lower powers and that is a personal preference. The guy can buy whatever he wants... I don't care.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjordan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've looked through the target dot models of the Siii 6-24 and 8-32 and the glass is real nice, and the clicks are nice and positive. It would be a good scope for the money. I think SWFA price matches, my FIL is ordering a 8-32 Siii with the MOA reticle through them today. Another very nice scope in your price range is the Vortex Viper PST, I have one in 6-24 with the moa reticle and love it, the glass compares really good with the sightron Siii's, the clicks feel better to me and it has a lighted reticle. </div></div>

Now, now...you know you have to own one for your opinion to hold any weight.
smile.gif

For what's worth, the gentleman whom's scope I played with - he is happy with it.

I own the 8-32x56 mil dot with moa adj., I didn't want the moa reticle because a .25moa center dot is just too big for me. I went with moa adj. Because I wanted finer adjustments then the .1 mrad and also, because I wanted caps over my turrets as I hunt with this rig as well.

This is a case where I went against the majority, most say match the reticle and turret, and exposed turrets seem to win out as well. But that is just it, take advice, but remember what you're using it for, and remember what you want, because you have to live with it.

Clarity is great, turrets have very positive, precise clicks, it has been everything I wanted.
I'm shooting 300 & 600 yard fclass with it, along with coyotes.

I have no qualms recommending it, has performed great and I expect that to continue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own the 8-32x56 mil dot with moa adj., I didn't want the moa reticle because a .25moa center dot is just too big for me. I went with moa adj. Because I wanted finer adjustments then the .1 mrad and also, because I wanted caps over my turrets as I hunt with this rig as well.

This is a case where I went against the majority, most say match the reticle and turret, and exposed turrets seem to win out as well. But that is just it, take advice, but remember what you're using it for, and remember what you want, because you have to live with it.

Clarity is great, turrets have very positive, precise clicks, it has been everything I wanted.
I'm shooting 300 & 600 yard fclass with it, along with coyotes.

I have no qualms recommending it, has performed great and I expect that to continue.</div></div>

While I agree with getting what works for you. You'd be surprised at how little of the target that dot covers up. For me at least, it's easier to aim at a round target with a round reticle. I use the target dot reticle and find it is VERY good for F-class. I ordered a 5-20X50 SS and wish it had a dot in the center like the MP-8 as opposed to crosshairs.

First of all, thanks to All of you for your interesting replies.

Some of you has suggested to also look into the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50.

I did, and now I have to add another question to this thread...

Which one would you pick out of the two (Sightron and Viper PST that is) ?

They run pretty much in the same price league, although the Viper has a couple of added features, which I like :
- Illuminated reticle (and a nicer one, compare to Sightron's Mil Dot, if I go Mil/Mil IMHO).

- FFP vs SFP

Keep 'em coming Boys...
wink.gif

I choose the Sightron because I was very impressed with the glass. I'm also partial to Japanese manufacture vs. Philippines. Not bashing the PST or Philippines, I happen to be a manufacturing engineer and have seen that Japanese manufacturing processes in general tend to better than other countries IN MY OPINION.

As for yourself, the decision is based on what its used for. Sightron are EXCELLENT scopes for F-class and fixed target shooting. The seem to be specifically designed for benchrest type shooting. I should note that they are relatively light for their size, due to a thinner tube wall. I suspect this is to keep weight down for class restrictions. While that's beneficial for benchrest competitions, it could mean reduced durability when used as a tactical scope.

If you plan on doing tactical competitions and such, I would recommend the PST.

I have a 6-24X PST. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Sightron. BTW, the lit reticle isn't that big of a deal. I never use it.

My father in-law and I both just did the same thing a few months ago that you're doing now. I chose the PST 6-24x50 MOA SFP, and he chose the Sightron in 8-32 MOA reticle. His scope hasn't come in yet so I haven't compared them side by side but I did compare sxs with a Sightron Siii 8-32x56. I turned the Power down on the Siii to 24x and the glass was pretty equal. The sightron may have been just a little brighter at dusk but it does have a 56mm bell. I chose the SFP because the crosshairs are finer (.06 MOA compared to the Siii .1 MOA), I also like the zero stop feature, and the lighted reticle the PSY has. I like how the PST has places in the power ring that kinda drop in at different powers so you know you have your reticle calibrated correctly instead of just guessing what the powers are. I was really looking for one scope that I could go to a tactical match with, a benchrest match, or could take in the woods hunting, for me the best choice was the Vortex PST, and I'm very pleased so far with it.

If you want an illuminated reticle, the decision is made, if you want ffp, again, the PST is your choice.

I didn't want either, had read several product reviews comparing the sightron to nightforces and mk4's, LRvx3's... Hundreds of consumer product reviews, and the sightron seemed a solid investment.

The PST has/had a lot of hype going for it, but that was about it, reviews are out now, have read a few reviews that didn't believe it lived up to the hype, then others, who thought it exceeded it...

I went with the sightron and would again, but, there is now plenty of reviews on both, so you can pick which best suits your needs and wants.

Thanks again Guys.

I am still looking and will try to gather as much info as I can before making a decision....

Keep 'em coming !

J