• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sightron S3 or Vortex PST

Rodeo Trash

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2010
Utah
I recently sent and email to the gentlemen over at Sightron just to inquire as to what was in store for the future with the S3 series scope. My guestions were about the turrets being easier to read, zero stop, illuminated reticle and FFP. The response I got was GREAT. Alan said that they are discussing the zero stop and that the illuminated reticle was also on the table as well. He said that they were a little fuzzy on the FFP vs SFP since it is so hard to see the reticle on the lowest setting on FFP scopes, but they are deffinately open to hearing from the shooting community. I traded my PST for the New model S3 because I felt for my eyes the eye relief was too finicky on the PST and I also like the fact that the S3 has 107 MOA of elevation adjustment both up and down. I am just curious to hear what the members on here have to say in respects to, if the S3 had all of the same features as the PST for the same price, which scope would you pick and why. This post is just to satisfy my curious nature. I feel that both of these scopes are quality products. Thanks!

Re: Sightron S3 or Vortex PST

i have a few S3's and have A-B'ed them to a viper at a local range. at 100yds i was able to tell a pretty noticeable difference the S3 was better.

I like my new S3 very much. I do have a hard time reading the turrets but that's just me. I think there are going to be more GREAT features added to the S3 down the road. The glass quality of the S3 is "A+" The PST is no slouch either.

I do not have a newer Sightron or a SIII. But I have an 11 year old SII. I bought a 4-16x42 MD in the summer of 2000. It has worked great. It was sitting on top of a hard kicking 7mm RM but is now on a AR varmint gun. Good luck with your new scope.

I have several S-III's and they have bee great scopes for me.
I think they are the "Best Buy" in terms of LR scopes.

Recently bought a SIII 3.5-10X44 mildot, milrads. In all honesty for the money, it is so hard to beat. The glass is fanastic, its well finished.

Have a look in the "through the scope thread" to see it against the NXS and S&B.

I bought this scope only due to not wanting to knock around out bush my higher end scopes.

Illumination does not worry me, all the scopes I have had with illumination never got used anyway.

My dislikes..... The markings on the turret. Why have 5, 10, 15, 20 etc. It only needs to be marked per milrad, so where 10 is just have "1".

Zero stop would be nice, but for the intended rifle wont see past 600m so all my dialing will be within one revolution (5milrads).

Overall I am impressed with it.

For the price, if it takes a bingle out bush I wont care comapred to the $3000+ S&B!

Cheers

The turrets on my New S3 are very nice and they are crisp as well as tight, although I would like them to be a tad bit tighter. The gold markings are hard for me to see but I think that would be an easy fix. The zero stop would be a good added feature as well as the illuminated reticle. The amount of elevation travel is hard to beat at 107 MOA of adjustment up 107 MOA adjustment down. I counted 431 clicks from top to bottom. With a 20 MOA base, I've got more than enough adjustment.

Made in Japan vs. made in the Philippines.

'nuff said.

To be fair, they have a different set of features as you acknowledged. When they come out with something with more features like the PST, I doubt they will hold it at the same price, and then it won't be comparable to the PST anymore but probably the razor.

Correct me if I'm wrong but 431 .25moa clicks is around 107 moa TOTAL not 107 up and 107 down(214 total) like you keep saying.... That's a very generous amount of elevaton, but to be honest th only time 21 mils of elevation hasn't been enough for my 308 is shooting at a mile I had to holdover...but im not sure if most people do that often enough to need it.

You could be right on the elevation, I really suck at math and it wouldn't be the first time I screwed up, LOL!!! Still a good amount of travel. If Sightron went up a couple hundred dollars, I still think that it would be worth it but like you said if they end up in the price range of NF or S&B, I'd go with the NF or the PST if I really needed the extra features. You are absolutely right it is 107 MOA of elevation total, I should have listened better in math class. Thanks for the corrections!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ackley Improved</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My dislikes..... The markings on the turret. Why have 5, 10, 15, 20 etc. It only needs to be marked per milrad, so where 10 is just have "1".
</div></div>
I really hate this about the sightron mil/mil scopes. I wish they would've marked the turrets in mils instead of clicks.

Some of the 3's have 70 moa , some models up to 120 moa. Always check before
you buy.

I know that both of the S3's that I have owned both had atleast 100 moa. Besides with Sightron's warranty, I'm sure that they would fix any problems.