• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sightron SIII on a .338LM rifle?

razzle

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2007
Norway
Anyone using the Sightron SIII scope on a .338 Lapua Magnum rifle? Wondering if it can take the recoil, and how happy you are with it for long range use?

Have a Sako TRG-42 with no optics yet, and with the economy being the way it is I'm not gonna cough up for a S&B right now. Thinking of getting a sub $900 temperary scope for it, that I can later move to my Tikka T3 Tac to replace the Falcon Menace scope on it seeing as I'm gonna replace it anyway sooner or later. So far the latest generation SIII 6-24x50 LR mildot scope looks like the best choice for that if it can hold up.

Re: Sightron SIII on a .338LM rifle?

I don't believe it will have any problems. If it doesn't hold up Sightron has excellent customer service and will replace it. Then sale the new one or keep it. They claim it is 50BMG rated.

GC

Sightron is one of those great deals at a reduced price. I run them on my Savage Tactical and it has stood up to 4 years of hard fire.

Sir
I am shooting a Sightron III on my .308 at 1000 yds and it is GREAT +1 for them. No issue so far

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juniorARshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sir
I am shooting a Sightron III on my .308 at 1000 yds and it is GREAT +1 for them. No issue so far </div></div>

How's the glass?

I recently purchased the Sightron SIII for my .308. I can only speculate at this point how it will hold up but I can say the glass is awesome. Its much better than the bushnell elite it replaced and as good as my buddies Nightforce BR. After comparing them side by side the only thing I could give to the Nightforce was the target dot was much smaller.

Sounds like I should go for it, have seen some good reviews of other scopes in the same price range, but seems either the glass isn't quite good enough or there's too little internal adjustment. The Sightron seems to have everything I need.
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have told more than ten or so people to buy the sightron III on this forum now becouse truth is they rock! The glass is great and whats not to like? I have nightforce also and besides the reticle being mil dot I like it more than my nightforce.
Great scope for the money!

Razzle,

One of the local gun shops to me has one on a Barret .50BMG the auto rifle. I have shot this weapon at a funds riser he put on the the vol. fire department and it seems to have held up fine. Now know that the Barrret auto .50BMG M82A I think does not have a bad snap type recoil it's more of a hard steady push. I do think you would be good to go with the Sightron III.

Not a .338 Lapua only a .308. I just bought this scope and I had a chance to shoot 50 rounds today at 100 and 200 yards. The glass is a little bit clearer and brighter than my MK4. Also the eye relief is little bit longer even at 24X compared to 14X with my MK4. Overall a great scope I paid about as much for my MK4 so I like them both!

I bought mine from MAX100, good guy and great CS!

Here's a pic:

IMG_0089.jpg

Going to purchase a Sightron SIII 6-20x50mm or a SII Big Sky 6-24x42mm AO Target, both will have a mil-dot reticle. Putting it on a DPMS Panther AR-10 .260 Rem and will set it up from 50yds to 500yds and record every click in between. I will report it's performance for everyone to read, for what its worth.

The SIII is significantly better, optically, than the SII. Also, the SIII has an etched glass reticle, and the SII has a wire reticle.

Repeatability, function, etc. should be the same.

"It's" is a contraction of it is. "Its" is the possessive form, e.g. "its performance". You got 'em backwards in your last sentence
wink.gif

Sirs
glass great compared to my SS. I have shot a Leopuld or Nightforce or other high end scope but for the money +1 on Sightron!