• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sightron SIIISS FFP vs. Vortex PST Gen. II FFP? Need Help in deciding.

Easa

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2020
Slovakia, EU
Hello guys,

Here is a thing. I am picking a FFP scope that I'll use for beating the hell out of my precision 22LR rimfire (Sako Quad Range) at longer ranges. It is possible, that this scope will be later transfered to something like T3x or Sako TRG, as that Quad Range is meant to be a trainer. Now, the budget for my scope is about 900 to 1500 EUR. I need a MRAD adjustment with Mil-Hash reticle. I am choosing between these two models:

Sightron SIIISS 6-24x50 FFP Zero Stop (SIIISS624X50LRZSFFP/MH) => 1300 EUR

Vortex VIPER PST GEN II 5-25X50 FFP => 900 EUR

Now, i can get that Vortex sort of cheap, because the list price for it is like 1100 EUR here, and it even has better reticle. It has also less complicated warranty claims, as many shops sell those where I live, compared to Sightron which has only one supplier. What i do like about Sightron is that it is 200g lighter, and it has (presumably?) top notch glass and tracking system in that price range. It has been also a brand that I always wanted to have, but i never had an opportunity to look through one.

Now, question is, is it worth to pay 400 EUR more for the Sightron ? Is it noticeably better scope?

Thank you!

PS: Feel free to recommend me another scope, but it has to be FFP, MRAD, 50mm Objective, 30mm Tube, Parallax adj. from 40yd or less, and has to have a reliable, proven tracking.

The glass in the SIII line is very nice and the ones I've owned have tracked perfectly; however, you're only getting 5 mil per rotation with the Sightron vs 10 with the Vortex.

Even with the weight penalty, you're getting a better reticle, better knobs, and a bigger magnification range.

Exactly what sloth said.
I have both, hands down the glass is better on the SIII, but that is subjective. Mechanically it’s spot on, but because of the 5mil travel it sits on a backup to a backup PRS rig. I like the uncluttered reticle, hence my love of the SCR. If you want to sell the vortex won’t take nearly the hit of Sightron. My biggest gripe with Sightron is that they are not in tune with the PRS type shooting discipline. I mean look how long it took to implement a zero stop into their design. The other that comes to mind is the Leupold VX3i LRP scopes mil/mil with zero stop. Not heard anything bad about them.

Have to look through them and decide for yourself.

I'd take the sightron every day, no matter the $. Through my eyes the glass is 100% better.

Your eyes may be different.

Reactions: 7mmFanBoy