• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sightron V.S. Nikon

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
Got this thread going on a couple of forums just trying to get a general idea.

Im looking for a scope for my Remington 700 SPS Tac. Its only a .223 but i want a scope for both coyote/ground squirrel hunting. But also for target shooting. Im not doing much right now but I want to start shooting out to 500 yards and anywhere inbetween.

Im looking at either a:

Sightron Sii 4-16

or

Nikon M-223 3-12

Both scopes have Pro's and Con's and YES, i know they arent nightforce but i can actually afford these scopes.

I know the Sightron has a higher power setting but is it really needed? Only thing im leary about with the M-223 on a hunting rig is the turrets getting turned when removing from case or walking around. But if I knew i was going to be putting it in a case couldnt i just stick a piece of masking tape on it to hold it in place?

Just looking for oppinions on both scopes

Re: Sightron V.S. Nikon

To start, the Sightron has a 2-star review on OpticsPlanet. The Nikon has a 4-star review on Amazon (on the links you posted). Perhaps the Sightron was just a lemon, but still, that's rather discouraging.

From your post it seems you have your heart set on a mid-power range variable magnification. For the price of those two, I HIGHLY recommend this as an alternate:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-matte-elite-tactical-5-15x40-argon-ao-mildot-riflescope.html

I had a Bushnell 10x40 tactical and it was fantastic glass for the price. I like my SS10x42M better, but it's twice the price. For $180 the Bushnell 10x40 was literally unbeatable. If you really have your heart set on the Sighton or the Nikon, I'd say the Nikon. Just my input.

Cheers,
Brian

My dad has a Sightron Sii 6-24 and it is a fine scope. I cant compare it to anything other than Leupold Vx-2's but it is a good little scope. I want to keep my decision between these two. I also havent heard anything bad about the Sightron S2 series or the Nikon.

Tomorow will tell how clear the Nikon is when I go and look at one.

Oh throw a 4-12 leupold mark AR into that Line up.

Nikon is my pick from what you list. But I think the M223 is not a very good offering. It appears and feels "cheap" to me. Just MHO though.
I would look at the Nikon Buckmaster line. I recommend what I use and I do have several of them on prairie dog guns. They hold zero, have great glass for the $$ and just look nicer than the M223.

I would recommend a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x for that application. Excellent scope, and pretty affordable. I have one that I love on my light weight 308 win and I think it was about $260 shipped in.

It has over 80 minutes of elevation, accurate 1/4 MOA clicks, clear glass, excellent light transmission, and resettable knobs. And costs 1/10 of some of the bigger names.

I've also used sightron Si and Sii scopes and found them to be very good, I think the two you have picked are both good scopes that will serve you well on a 223. If I had to pick from the two you selected I'd go with the Sightron. I agree that the M223 is not a good choice from Nikon's line.

I have not seen the M223 Nikon, I have a couple of Nikon Buckmasters and a Monarch, they are good scopes for the money, the Monarch a bit better than the Buckmaster in the glass dept.

The Sightron SII is also very good, had one a few years ago, got rid of it because I didn't like the 1/8" adjustments. Other than that, the glass was good.

See and thats the problem IMHO i think the buckmasters feel cheap. I looked at them and they were just to rounded for me as in the objective end tapers and stuff is rounded. I saw one with a sunshade and the shade didnt fit perfectly flush with the objective end of the scope and it just looked goofy as hell. The caps that fit over the windage and elevation also are just weird looking.. But thats just me.

The sightron is for sure a fine scope yea its not as Tacti-awesome as the M-223 but it is still good. The biggest and main reason for me looking at the M-223 is the turrets. Even though they probably wouldnt match my loads or ammo exactly they will get me into the ball park then i just need to learn that "hey at 600 yards i need to go 5 clicks over the 600 yard marker line" or something to that affect.

Also one of the monkeys at Cabelas told me that inorder to mount a scope with a 42mm objective to my gun I need High rings. Here is my gun with our 6-24x42 sitting in the high rings. You guys tell me are they too tall? think i could get away with medium?
IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

Sorry for the messy table and tactical penny measuring device. I was working with what was available at the time.

High Leupold PRW Rings. 1" tube

Also not sure if i even like the rings... the top half doesnt really slide over the scope tube very easy it almost feels like you have to force it onto the scope but im afraid of messing a scope up.. might try a different set of rings.

Not if you can get a decent cheek weld. But, they are a bit higher than I would like, I'd swap to the mediums if it were me, or the lows if the scope doesn't touch the rifle with them. I like the scope as low as I can get it.

dollar for dollar I would take a Sightron over a Nikon every time. ... and I have several of both. More Nikons actually.

As far as bang for the buck in the $200-600 range I don't think you can beat Sightron and Burris.

I have both the Sightron and Nikon and I know you will not be disappointed with either. For the money I prefer the Sightron, the glass is great as is their warranty and their customer service.

Its a hard choice. I know I will like the Sightron but I want to try the Nikon but dont want to get stuck with it if I really dont like it.

EDIT: might not get the Sightron, Im having a hard time finding one for sale in Matte black. Call me picky, call me a tactinoob i dont care I dont want a matte black gun with a satin black scope. It will bug me I want it to be matching colors.

Yea I like my scopes low but we do have a gun that the scope is WAY to low for me and its not comfortable to shoot. I think the Medium will be about perfect