• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

killian.george

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
Middle, TN
Does anybody have any experience with Sightron scopes? I just recently discovered their website and can't find a whole lot of info on the scopes other than from the company itself. I was just wondering about their reputation/reliability.

Re: Sightron

They are some of the best scopes in their price range. I run the sightron SIII 6-24x50 and love it. The glass is clear and the scopes are rugged as hell.

A friend of mine has a SIII on a M82a Barret 50 and it's holding it's on. I know a few others that run them and they are good to go. There tracking is spot on also.

Admin: feel free to delete this if it is considered advertising. Just wanted to share the info.

--------------------------------------

I tested a Sightron 10-50x60mm, Nightforce 5.5-22x56, Zeiss Hensoldt 6-24x72, Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50, a cheap 8-32x50 Vortex Crossfire and a Pentax 80mm ED 20-60x spotting scope side by side at 60 meters on an optical Lines Per Inch (LPI) chart. Sorry no 8-32x or 12-42x Nightforce on hand. (Power settings were estimated since the intermediate settings were not marked in many cases.)

Bright lighting condition with my glasses on, my vision corrected to at least 20/20) I was able to discern the following from a steady rest:

Pentax 80 ED Spotting Scope
@ 22x – 480+ LPI
@ 24x - 500+ LPI
@ 32x - 550+ LPI
@ 50x - 650+ LPI
@ 60x - 740+ LPI

From looking trough this myself and based on numerous tests by others, this spotter compares with the Leica and Swarovski ED models, running a close 3rd to them.

Zeiss Hensoldt 6-24x72 (contrast / resolution was identical to the Pentax)
@ 24x - 500+ LPI
@ 22x – 480+ LPI
A beast for sure. Clarity / contrast was exceptional. Virtually identical clarity / resolution to the Pentax spotter when set on the same power. This scope could double as premium spotting scope if the 24x was sufficient for your needs.

Nightforce 5.5-22x56
@ 15x – 220+ LPI
@ 22x – 400+ LPI
Less contrast than the Zeiss or Pentax as would be expected, but overall a nice piece of glass. The reliability and repeatability are well established.

Sightron 10-50x60
@ 22x – 300 LPI
@ 24x - 350 LPI
@ 32x - 400 LPI
@ 50x – 390 LPI

Visibly less contrast than the Nightforce as demonstrated by the LPI, thus not quite the equal to the Nightforce as some have stated. Although this is not a true apples to apples comparison since the zoom range on the Sightron is not the same range, it has a significantly larger objective, and it is a 5x zoom vs the Nightforce at 4x zoom. For the money I was impressed considering how well this scope tracks, plus the 1/8 MOA clicks.

Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50
@ 22x – 300 LPI
@ 24x - 350 LPI
@ 32x - 400 LPI
Identical LPI resolution to the Sightron at the same zoom setting though the Sightron did look sharper overall. This is a great scope with huge zoom range (6.7x), very compact and reasonably price considering what it offers. I own three of these with mil dots, and would probably put this scope on more of my guns if they offered a better reticle.

Vortex Crossfire 8-32x 50
@ 24x – 350 LPI
@ 32x – 350 LPI

The Vortex had noticeably lower contrast, blacks were about 60% gray, yet despite the softer looking image, it resolved fairly well, equaling the Sightron and the Bushnell.

If the adjustments in the Vortex were more reliable it would make an excellent scope for the money (CHEAP!). I was able to discern the same level of LPI as the Sightron which really surprised me. There is quite a bit of play in the knobs between clicks and it stops tracking at the ends of travel. I wouldn’t recommend using it on a gun where you plan on turning the knobs regularly for elevation changes or with a sloped base that puts your zero near the extreme end of travel.

© Copyright Long Range Supply 2010

Thanks for the input, Sightron sounds like a decent investment. I am planning my first build and trying to get all my homework done prior to actually starting. I am mainly just looking for something reliable and not overly expensive. Still undecided on glass, looking for a good scope for decent money since I have two kids, another on the way, and my other hobbie (cars) takes up a good bit of my "allowance".

did a bunch of reading and research and just ordered an S III 8-32x mil-dot from scott at liberty.....should be here next week for the FTR rig. Hope its as good as promised! If so, can not be beat for the money.....