• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Signage on Stores

Ronws

first class brisket smoker
Minuteman
  • Oct 18, 2021
    Texas
    You go to some banks in Texas and you will see two signs on the window (or graphics.) Usually Texas Penal Code (ironically) 30.06 for no concealed carry of a handgun and 30.07 for no open carry.

One convenience store I have been to has only the 30.07 sign.

Go to grocery stores and liquor stores and you will see a sign that says that carrying an "unlicensed" handgun is prohibited.

First off, the gun does not have a license. You fill out the 4473 at transfer. The person carrying it, such as myself, will have an LTC (License To Carry.) I got mine before Texas approved the permitless "Constitutional" carry.

I am not arguing against a place having rules. My LTC instructor was clear on that. You could be helping a friend set up for a party in the evening and be wearing your gun. He may decide that later, at the party, no one can carry because there will be drinking. His property, his rules.

A business can also post notices of not being allowed to carry. In fact, the 30.06 and 30.07 signs are clear enough.

However, with consitutional carry, the 2nd Amendment is your license, so, you are always licensed. So, why bother having that signage? Especially now that the constitutional carry is in place?

I keep my LTC. It proves I had an extensive background check, so, I don't have to wait on that, just wait on checking the 4473 for any errors.

I would not want to be a test case. And my gun is usually concealed, sort of. During the summer, I wear a large angler shirt over it and a lot of times, people don't know that I am carrying.

30.06 bans all carry of any type. 30.07 bans open carry.

Some of the other signs in general are legacy signs that were never amended.

There are certain places that are off limits regardless of signs.

The ones that are properly signed and they are just some private businesses of some sort, if they ask you to leave you just go. If you cause a scene it can cost you like $150 (or up) if you want to escalate it.

It's not like they are hauling you to prison over it. Most of the time they just tell you to go and that's it.

If however you go somewhere that is actually restricted, like carrying a loaded 9mm to go visit your uncle that is in prison, that's a different story.

All in all though, for any private residence or business it gives the cops a small amount of teeth to get a person to move when they need them to go.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    I personally have walked in an establishment before that technically I shouldn't have been in. Walked in the front door and walked towards the back and they had a 51% sign hanging over the bar halfway covered by bottles.

51% sign means it's an actual bar that gets most of its revenue from liquor consumption. The problem is the signs have to be displayed prominently at all entrances. Had I gotten a ticket for carrying there it would be thrown out for the most part if it was issued at all.

Reactions: UKDslayer
    I've always understood it had to be a 30.06 (or 30.07 too now) sign or it wasn't enforceable enough to charge you. Some of those signs are required by insurance companies and the owners probably just put those up to appease them. The generic sign at my work has a gun and a knife on it and states no weapons are to allowed.

I've always understood it had to be a 30.06 (or 30.07 too now) sign or it wasn't enforceable enough to charge you. Some of those signs are required by insurance companies and the owners probably just put those up to appease them. The generic sign at my work has a gun and a knife on it and states no weapons are to allowed.
    In addition, the signage had to be of a certain size and enough contrast of letters to background to be easily read.

Yeah, short version is that if properly displayed they can legally ask you to leave, and if you fail to comply, you can be trespassed.

Depending on how any encounters with law enforcement officers who arrive to enforce the trespass goes, you may or may not be arrested.

If at all possible, I simply refuse to support any business that displays those signs.

Reactions: Ronws

Usually it wasn't enforceable because it didn't meet the font/size etc. criteria. I loved how my bank used to have a picture of a gun in red null sign. My current credit union doesn't.

Reactions: 91Eunozs