• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sigthron click value

steeltex

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2009
ND
Hey guys, quick question. I'm probably being paranoid, but with regards to the click value, the knob on the scope says 1/4" but the specification sheet and their website lists it as 1/4 moa.An moa is 1.047", so a fourth of that would be .261" So I'm just wondering, is their click value .25" or .261"... To me, it seems like a long stretch that they would make it in 1/4 moa values, but who knows. The reason I ask is because once you start getting out past a 1000 yards that little difference in the value of a click actually starts to become very noticeable. Thanks for your help.

Re: Sigthron click value

I had that exact same questions, so I emailed Sightron. Email is shown below.

Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 10:56 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Inches or MOA?

Alan,
I have a SIIISS624x50 LR MD and in the manual it says it has 1/4 MOA clicks, but on the scope it show 1/4" clicks. So I am wondering what it actually is in, inches or MOA? Thanks.
Gabe

rom Alan Orr <[email protected]>
to Gabriel Stauffer <[email protected]>
date Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 4:20 PM
subject RE: Inches or MOA?
10/13/09

Gabe they should be in inches.

alan

Well, I called Sigthron, talked to a lady, told her the difference in 1/4" and 1/4 MOA, which I said was .25" and .26". Asked what the click value was and she said it was in MOA. I asked if she was sure, and she said she was certain of it. But, I guess I'm still right were I started if I get one answer and Reko555 got a different answer. Reko, have you done any testing, like the above formentioned test to see what it actually is, because I'll try and do it this weekend if you haven't and I'll let you know what i find.

I called Sightron a few months ago and asked the lady if their scopes had a true .261 click value, she said yes, but would love to hear some test results.

I haven't done any testing and to tell you the truth, I have been using MOA in my ballistic calcs and haven't had any problems (only shoot out to 600 yards so far). Let me know how the testing goes.

I would be interested as well, especially since I am running a few SIIIs. Of course, at the distances I am currently shooting, it really is a moot point. I don't think you will see any negligible difference out to 300 yards, or at least I haven't.

Re: Sigthron click value. ( UPDATED TEST RSULTS)

well, managed to get out to the farm and do the test. This is how it went. Found a yard stick, made sure it was 36". Taped it to the side of a grain bin. Used a Bushnell Elite 1500 Range finder to get 100 yards back. Set the gun in a shooting rest. Taped the gun to it so it was solid, then weighted down the rest.Adjusted the shooting rest so the cross hairs was at the top of the yard stick. Then turned the knobs 36MOA(144clicks). Cross hairs ended up 1 1/2" below the stick. Went back to my zero setting, and the cross hairs went right back to the top of the stick. Tried this a few more times, always with the same results. So it looks like the SIII Sightrons are indeed in 1/4 MOA.

Oh, here are the results from some other scopes I checked. The older SIII series Sightron scope is in 1/4 MOA also. A Bushnell Elite 3200 10X Scope was also ending with the same results. It would always end up about a 1 1/2" below the yard stick. So it must be in 1/4 MOA also.

Ok, this is were it got a little strange. Tested a Millet Buck Gold 30mm 4-16x scope. When compared to the Bushnell, I'd have to say the glass is as every bit as clear, the Bushnell seemed to have more distortion or paralax if you want to call it that, when you moved your head around though. The target knobs are crisper and more audible then Bushnell's too. The one problem with the Millet was when I was running the cross hairs down the yard stick, it would always stop at about 27 inches, yet I could get a full revolution and plus some, out of the knobs before it would stop. yet, the scope would always track back to zero perfectly. Tried this like 10 times, with it stoping at 27" but always tracking back to zero. I don't know how these things are designed but I figured maybe the internal tube must be stopping up against the outer wall (running out of room for travel), yet some how the knobs have enough room to make it a full turn still. All I know is it tracks perfectly back to zero and I ain't going to worry about it. I'll just remember that I basically have only 27 moa of true adjustment in it.