• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Silence after the shot

moneey

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
The Evergreen State
I finally finished reading Marcus Lutrell's book, "Lone Survivor". It was interesting and a good read IMO. I couldn't help but be amazed at the hardwork/dedication that every soldier put in day in/out. Thanks to all.

Especially when he spoke about his "stealth" qualification exam. He said he laid there..STILL for 5 HOURS after that shot before attempting to exit!! That's wild and it was only for qualification! I can't even imagine how much longer it would probably be if it was on an actual mission.

So those of you who have been there, done that if you don't mind...is that the norm or did he play it cautiously? How long did you lay there during your qualification and what was your longest time on an actual mission (if you can recall it)? No need to go into details about the mission details and specifics, etc.

Re: Silence after the shot

5 hours? I don't even want to do something that feels good for 5 hours, much less just laying there hoping no one is around looking for you.

I was trained as a sniper after Infantry training but was never deployed as one in Vietnam . We got a dud batalion commander that did not believe in snipers so my rifle was confiscated . The fact that it was my "Personal Property " was lost on the Army as their issue rifle was crap and didn't shoot well so I built my own .
Anyway my training is totally outdated now but for what it is worth we were taught that you don't move until you are sure you have not been compromised and then you bug out. If you see straight away that you have been compromised or start recieving return fire you crawl away as far as you can from the layup and then bug out.
It's important to select a layup position that has some dead ground near you that can act as protection as you crawl away.
Ranges in those days were way shorter than they are now so modern snipers have less trouble with the exact position of the shot being seen than 30 years ago . They have better muzzle flash control , suppression , camo , training , you name it .
The downside is that their equipmewnt is much heavier and bulkier which makes crawling very difficult however modern snipers work in teams of 3 or 4 so two can be forward at the shooting position and two can be back in cover with the rest of the gear or combinations of that.
Vietnam snipers never carried anywhere near the gear they have to now . It was more like going deer hunting with your favourite bolt gun and a pocket full of rounds . Now it's all loads of high tech stuff and packs heavy enough to break a mules back.
There is no way I am going to lay there for 5 hours if there is a squad of troops coming straight for me. It would be better to bugout and find a new position that they don't know about than stay in the one they do.
If I fired a shot and the activity at the target indicated they had no clue where it came from I would wait a while and then bugout.
You wait because they will be glassing the area for a while trying to find you.
I think distance is the safety factor now and it is very hard to locate where a shot came from if it was fired 800 + yards away even with technology assisting you.

I enjoyed the book very much. I did notice some glaring firearms errors, which I attributed to editorial problems.
It seemed like every time he needed a change of scene during the prolonged firefight, he "slammed another magazine into the chamber". Even when he was down to a mag and a half, he slammed quite a few in. Also, at one point the air was filled with "cordite smoke". I am thinking this is the british editors work. It was a great book. From a great American.

I took the shot in 1991, still layin here in this desert on my cell phone waitin

Only you VAJAyJay!
wink.gif
Go ahead, Bug out before you are compromised........or molested by the natives. They will mistake you for a dead goat from the smell..just sayin

Either your phone has a built in nuclear reactor, or you have one hell of a cell phone battery! Where can I get me one of those?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I enjoyed the book very much. I did notice some glaring firearms errors, which I attributed to editorial problems.
It seemed like every time he needed a change of scene during the prolonged firefight, he "slammed another magazine into the chamber". Even when he was down to a mag and a half, he slammed quite a few in. Also, at one point the air was filled with "cordite smoke". I am thinking this is the british editors work. It was a great book. From a great American.
</div></div>
The work of a sniper now is way more than just firing a shot , they can be itelligence gatherers , forward observers for ordinance, taget designators for smart bombs etc. So the circumstances of the mission dictate what action they may take .
If yo are on a building roof and slamming awy with a 50 cal at the enemy at 1000 yards in support of other troops closer to the action then you are not going to bug out anyplace soon unless you start getting incoming Mortars or RPG's from closer quarters etc. that make it too dangerous to stay. Every combat situation has to be assesed at the time as it happens on the ground no hard and fast rules will ever be right in all situations.

If you used a good route to your final firing position, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting out. Nowadays, at school (Army) you actually have to exfil after you are graded out on your shot. It's part of mission planning, route selection, and in the selection of your final firing position. You do everything you can to not be in a position where you are visually pinned down after your shot. Loopholes are key to this concept.
Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you used a good route to your final firing position, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting out. Nowadays, at school (Army) you actually have to exfil after you are graded out on your shot. It's part of mission planning, route selection, and in the selection of your final firing position. You do everything you can to not be in a position where you are visually pinned down after your shot. Loopholes are key to this concept.
Jason </div></div>
That's what I was taught , have an exit route ( exfiltrate) that gives cover from fire as well as sight .
Loopholes are a good way to gain extra concealment if the situation permits.

When times were rough i laid in the swamp for what seemen like a week but was only 2-3 hours waiting for the cops to leave. Two of us had a Carolina crdit card and someone spotted us at the bus park, i was 21 or 22 and never want to do that again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mexican match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When times were rough i laid in the swamp for what seemen like a week but was only 2-3 hours waiting for the cops to leave. Two of us had a Carolina crdit card and someone spotted us at the bus park, i was 21 or 22 and never want to do that again.</div></div>

lol