• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

silhouette Shooting

texastonk

Actual
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2010
    Hen House,Texas
    Anyone here shoot silhouette matches? Joining a new range club and went to the monthly match last weekend. Is 3 stages. Rim fire lever action, center fire lever then center fire pistol. Though each are awarded winners separately. Had lot of fun and am looking get my son into shooting matches. He’s 8 so wanting to start on rimfire due to lighter and less recoil and age restrictions.

Has anyone else got there kids started in matches this way? Should I look into other types of matches? Any good silhouette forums to learn more about the discipline?
    Thanks
    Nate

Reactions: Modoc
    Anyone here shoot silhouette matches? Joining a new range club and went to the monthly match last weekend. Is 3 stages. Rim fire lever action, center fire lever then center fire pistol. Though each are awarded winners separately. Had lot of fun and am looking get my son into shooting matches. He’s 8 so wanting to start on rimfire due to lighter and less recoil and age restrictions.

Has anyone else got there kids started in matches this way? Should I look into other types of matches? Any good silhouette forums to learn more about the discipline?
    Thanks
    Nate
    Nate,

I shoot Silhouette fairly frequently. We started my son fairly early shooting the Rimfire Lever-action Silhouette using a 16” Rossi M62 pump with upgraded sights. The advantage of the lever-action vs regular SB silhouette is that the targets are larger but at the same distance.

As for forums, I think Steel Chickens may still be active.

Below is my son helping reset targets when he was three. D-lead wipes for after reset are a must.

IMG_0017.jpeg

Nate,

I shoot Silhouette fairly frequently. We started my son fairly early shooting the Rimfire Lever-action Silhouette using a 16” Rossi M62 pump with upgraded sights. The advantage of the lever-action vs regular SB silhouette is that the targets are larger but at the same distance.

Below is my son helping reset targets when he was three. D-lead wipes for after reset are a must.

View attachment 8366380

I have a M62 Rossi pump with a 16” barrel I’ve been shooting for the last 44 years. I can hit things with it I shouldn’t be able too with the somewhat crude sights. What sights did you use to upgrade it?

Reactions: texastonk
    I have a M62 Rossi pump with a 16” barrel I’ve been shooting for the last 44 years. I can hit things with it I shouldn’t be able too with the somewhat crude sights. What sights did you use to upgrade it?
    A Marbles Tang Sight and a Marbles brass bead front blade that is the same height as the factory sight. You can leave the rear sight in place or put a blank in the dovetail.

My setup, Marlin 39 with the Marbles tang sight.
    IMG_5105.jpeg

Last edited:
    Nate,

View attachment 8366380
    It’s still up but only a few posting. Seems to have some good info. Thanks again!