• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

silhoutte rifle

aloreman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2011
orangeville pa
I am looking into buying a new rifle and scope to get into silhoutte with. What are your suggestion. Im leaning towards a cz rifle as the one i own(22mag) is very accurate.

Re: silhoutte rifle

The CZ452 makes for a very good silhouette rifle. I used one back when I was shooting smallbore silhouette and it was plenty capable and competitive. It will get you to Grand Slam status quite well if you practice. Good thing is you can shoot in both classes with this rifle.

excellent topic on a great sport! i fell in love with about 4 years ago and am now running our local matches.

there are alot of cz's on the firing line both in hunter and standard class and they do very well.

mostly the standard division guys are using anshutz, and with good reason - they are very accurate and well balanced. a well balanced rifle is a good thing shooting off hand.

i've been using a savage MKII f in hunter class and a BV in standard. i was switching back and forth splitting the two matches in each division, but last year stayed with hunter class and the F model. got from mid B class to middle AA with it. staying with the BV and standard this year. shooting 1 rifle in both divisions is doable, but it's nice to a dedicated hunter or standard rifle.

luckily in silhouette a minute of chicken, pig, turkey or ram accuraccy is "good enough" to knock over the steel, so even a basic .22lr will get you going, but nothing beats an MOAish rifle in any class or competition.

probably just as improtant as the rifle is the trigger. nice and smooth, breaking "like glass".

scopes - those in AAA class really utilize a weaver T 16 or a leopold fixed 16 through 36 x.

most folks, including myself, like a target dot or fine crosshair for silhouette. it's a less distracting reticle for smaller targets that seems to work well for many.

check out steelchickens.com, there's a ton of topics there that'll help you out, rarely do you run into someone that will not help out or be "snobby".

Just as said above, the CZ's are a good starter rifle. Get one that fits the Hunter Class and shoot it in both.
Leupold is the dominate scope with a few weavers mixed in.
Also, the Bushnell 4200 6-24 with dot reticle is well liked. They hold up to the constant adjustment better than the Weavers I think.
Go to steelchickens.com and do some research.

+1 on what has been said so far.

You might want to take a look at what Mark Pharr has in way of stocks for whatever chassis you intend on using.

His stocks are excellent and what I use for HP Silhouette.

Check him out on his web site.

http://www.tumbleweedsrifles.com/

If you are looking for an action for a 22 in hunters style give a call to Curtis at Stiller Precision Firearms http://www.viperactions.com/actions/action_index.htm and tell him to get his ass in gear (mention to him Francis said that) and get his 40X action completed and have a notch cut out of it to accept magazines for hunters class. If you are going for a single shot in standard class...his 40x action will suit you just fine.

Definately go with Mark Pharr's stocks. I used a 10/22 for the longest in silhouette, and it did just fine. for optics many in the group that i shoot with shoot Weaver T24's or v16's. I use a Mueller 8-32x44 and it seems to work well.