• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Silica Gel Packets

Bluesop7

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2011
West Texas
I'm looking to get some of these packets to keep my powder free from moisture but have no clue how much to get for both a 1 lb. jug and an 8 lb. jug. The website shows anything from 1/2 gram packets on up to 448 gram packets.

Would multiple smaller packets be better or perhaps a single larger one? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Re: Silica Gel Packets

As long as you keep your powder in jugs they came in with the lid closed tightly you don't need desicant bags.

I read something about that as few days ago, and one opinion was that the powder is manufactured with a specific moisture content to get proper combustion.
I have no clue myself, but it makes sense and you might want to look into that.

My powder is always kept in the jug and the only time it leaves it is to go straight into the brass (after weighing of course). That being said though, the jug is open for as much as a couple hours at a time while im charging each case.

fw707 thats a good point. I've never heard of powder containing a certain moisture content from the factor but it very well could. I'd hate to screw up a thing of powder by putting silica in it when I should have just left it alone in the first place. I do live in West Texas though so moisture shouldnt be too big of a problem anyways. I mean it is a desert here and all.

At what % humidity do you guys start having clumping problems??