• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Silly question about lasers and HD AR15s

Shawn1492

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
Colorado
I see lasers on home defense pistols at the range somewhat often. And I see a benefit with that. The question I have is if I have an AR that is dedicated for home defense should I consider a laser for it? It seems lasers on rifles are just for airsoft. What am I not understanding ?

I am not a fan of lasers at all on any gun. If I were operating in a team especially in really close quarters my opinion would be very different.

Sure but you can accomplish essentially the same thing with a good white weapon light. Lasers (IR) become necessary if you’re running night vision (and don’t plan on running binocular NODS that otherwise would allow for passive aiming through the day optic (ex: some Aimpoint and Eotechs) on a NV setting.

I bought a tlr 2 HL with the green laser. The only things I really use the last for is,

1) Showing someone else how to shoot. I turn the laser on and can seen where they aim and how steady they are etc. Decent training tool

2) The other thing I do is mount it to a rifle I’m removing the optic from. Maybe swapping red dots or whatever. I’ll zero the laser to match the current optic on a target or tree. Then when I swap the mount or optic I just match that zero back to the laser at the same tree/target when I mount the optic back on the gun

Someday I may find more use for it. Really I prefer a tlr 1 and red dot. I’m so used to putting my head to the gun for the dot I don’t even notice the laser. It be more fun maybe with irons which is why a pistol makes more sense to me

Some like them, some don’t. For me I run one on anything I intend to use for fire and movement in close quarters, (25yd and in) simply because they offer me another option to use as an aiming method if I’m in an awkward position, or need to shoot offhand or while injured. I would much prefer to use my sights, but reality dictates the options and is not always so accommodating.

I am not some hi-speed operator, nor will ever claim to be, but It’s one of those things I feel where having it and knowing how to use it properly is another tool in the toolbox you hope you’ll never need but its there if you do.

most of my personal experiences using one is during action shooting comps, where there have been several instances of time saved in close transitions or barricade work, translatable enough to real world defensive use for me to have one on my defensive guns.

if you want a vis only of decent quality, the sightmark lo-pro mini is surprisingly good, and not bad value. It at least survived my .308 and retained zero, which is better than airsoft chinese crap will do, and certainly a lot less than the prices you’d need to pay for dual-laser (IR and Vis) units.

get a green 5mw if you’re going to bother. significantly more visible in daytime conditions.

Less likely of a thing here on the hide given the knowledge of the average member, but don’t zero it to point of impact, it should be offset to your bore axis so that it is perfectly parallel, and then level with your PoA at a desired range (I use 25yd out of convenience, former mil friend uses 15yd)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shawn1492
I see lasers on home defense pistols at the range somewhat often. And I see a benefit with that. The question I have is if I have an AR that is dedicated for home defense should I consider a laser for it? It seems lasers on rifles are just for airsoft. What am I not understanding ?
You pretty much hit the nail on the head as others have mentioned just a good light what do you just fine.

Some claim that they're handy for night time hunts using IR with hogs but I just think they like to feel my backyard operators.

.....if your definition of HD is "inside your house" usage, and in the dark of night, then a weapon light is more critical so you have PID, "Positive Identification". Many locales limit "HD" as within the confines of the abode. Some lasers are bright enough to vaguely illuminate immediate surrounding areas, but usually only if reflecting off a surface (walls), not so much off clothing.

Hmm, IR lasers are needed for NV since nods are a pain for sighting. Visible lasers are only useful if you're wearing a gas mask, then they're great but give your position away immediately. If you're inside the house then lasers and lights on a pistol are great, but with a rifle you just want a light, of course, a suppressor is essential if you ever want to hear again. So this.
20220211_143759.jpg