• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Silver or Gold for investmet?

LR338nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2009
Umitilla County, Or
Hey everyone. Just wondering what is reccomended to purchase when talking about precious metals?

I am concerned with the economy and looking to move half of my savings into either gold or silver.

So, whats better? And should I go with coins or bars? Im also entertaining the belief that this might have to be barter material in the future; end of the dollar type of currency (besides ammo).

Whith that in mind what should I look at?

Re: Silver or Gold for investmet?

I personally like silver, and other than the fact that it takes up a lot of room and weight per dollar value, it is easier to get into slowly. I think currency coin wise is worth less than what people ask for it, but if you accumulate it here and there you can do alright. I personally like minted coins (.999 pure) and bullion.

YMMV

DD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whith that in mind what should I look at? </div></div>

Tinfoil hat.

If the dollar goes away and you have to use silver/gold as barter material, I'd rather have ammo. If the US comes to that (which is doubtful) then I wouldn't trade you a case of ammo for a whole pound of gold. Gold is only worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it and the bare necessities will be worth more than gold at that point (all my own opinion of course). If the dollar ceases to be currency in the US then I'd have to imagine that chaos is close behind.

The ONLY reason anyone should be buying gold or silver right now is to guard against inflation.

It is a poor investment right now if you want to see much return. In other words, don't spend money on gold or silver instead of some other investment.

Now, if you have money in savings and that is it's only purpose, then it is a good idea to diversify some of it into tangible assets (gold and silver).

Precious metals are not as affected by the declining value of our paper currency. If our government continues to borrow and print money like crazy, it would be better to have converted cash into gold or silver.

I would prefer silver unless you are talking about LARGE quantities of money and know what you are doing in the market. Silver takes less of an investment and is less volitile if you need to sell some at some point.

Precious metals will continue to go up and down like any commodity. Silver just goes up and down less than gold.

But, as said, I would not buy either strictly as an investment right now. There is a buying frenzy on and it is inflating the price.

the man who controlls the Plutonium rules (whats left of) the world.

that said, consider buying property with water, or water reights. Water may become the basis for the next wars, and far more valuablethan metal. After all you can do quite well without the gold or silver, but cant live long with out sater.

My 2 $

my 2 cents is whenever you see the national news media discussing an issue it is way too late to start investing. In fact, how many Gold commercials a day can be seen on TV? Way too many and it makes me kind of nauseous watching them anymore. I will have to go with ammunition for the near future. Should have bought gold at 200-300 when no one was talking about it. To make money in the market you have to be a contrarian. Follow the masses and the little man always gets creamed.

In the mean time, Sam's club has unbelievable prices on Progresso soups!

Even the low sodium ones!

You gotta eat, even if you are holed up in your panic room.

Copper, as in bullets.

Now with my tin foil hat firmly attached...(sarcastically)

Think about why one would want gold or silver. Is it as an investment? (I mean long term) To guard against inflation? If the shit really hit the fan, or the dollar is worth less then what it is now, or the USA and the world falls flat on its ass what would one really do with that gold or silver?

If the shit really hit the fan one would need to be able to take care of ones self or family that gold or silver won't be much help, and if I have something one would want or need what are you going to give me for it as trade? I don't want your gold or silver.

One would want more of a plan then investing in a metal that may not help one in the short term, or even the long term for that matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You gotta eat, even if you are holed up in your panic room.</div></div>

Don't forget the bags of rice and cases of bottled water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You gotta eat, even if you are holed up in your panic room.</div></div>

Don't forget the bags of rice and cases of bottled water. </div></div>

Or Tuna, Sardines, beef stew, jerky, tarps, golf balls, batteries... Sam's club kicks ass!

I'd suggest investing in a Sam's club membership
laugh.gif

The modern value of gold and silver is not cosmetic as in former times. Today, it is about industry. Gold and silver are used in a myriad of manufactured products. The rule of thumb is when the dollar is up, metals are down and vise versa. Gold is at a market high right now and therefore, buying now is the worse timing. I'm a big fan of investing in the precious metals; brass and lead. You can't eat gold or silver. You can't shoot it (well there is that vampire thing) economically. And as for barter, nothing trades better than ammo. The guys who are pushing for gold and silver right now are the guys SELLING gold and silver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And a Big Screen TV to watch the end of the world in High Def!! </div></div>

LMAO!

All good points DaveV. And when stocking up on ammo, buy 223, 308 and 9mm. Don't get something goofy with no barter value. 375 H&H won't be worth a penny when the SHTF
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All good points DaveV. And when stocking up on ammo, buy 223, 308 and 9mm. Don't get something goofy with no barter value. 375 H&H won't be worth a penny when the SHTF
wink.gif
</div></div>

Good old fashioned .30-06, .30-30, 357 mag, etc. should not be overlooked as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whith that in mind what should I look at? </div></div>

Tinfoil hat.

</div></div>

Check

Archery gear or suppressors. Hell, get both. You wont want to have to burn additional ammo on all the parasites who'll come running to the sounds of your shots like hyennas to the Lion's kill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Archery gear or suppressors. Hell, get both. You wont want to have to burn additional ammo on all the parasites who'll come running to the sounds of your shots like hyennas to the Lion's kill. </div></div>

Ohh. That's a new twist on the SHTF scenario for me.

I am a dumb grunt, but smart enough to know that you don't invest in markets when the prices are high.

If It were my money, I would be buying property right now, then when that goes up and gold comes back down, sell property and buy gold. Repeat process with any commodity you like.

Smart people make a lot of money when others are scared and following the masses.

ammo, smokes, and booze. That is all the barter material you'll need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GcH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Archery gear or suppressors. Hell, get both. You wont want to have to burn additional ammo on all the parasites who'll come running to the sounds of your shots like hyenas to the Lion's kill. </div></div>

Ohh. That's a new twist on the SHTF scenario for me. </div></div>

No offense, some of my best friends are hyenas...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a dumb grunt, but smart enough to know that you don't invest in markets when the prices are high....
Smart people make a lot of money when others are scared and following the masses. </div></div>

+1, gold and silver are at historic highs and US fed. deficit spending is driving the US dollar lower. If you really like gold buy shares in a gold mining company. Or better yet some resource/mining companies with a large portion of earnings from operations outside the U.S. to hedge your currency position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whith that in mind what should I look at? </div></div>
If the dollar goes away and you have to use silver/gold as barter material, I'd rather have ammo. If the US comes to that (which is doubtful) then I wouldn't trade you a case of ammo for a whole pound of gold. Gold is only worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it and the bare necessities will be worth more than gold at that point (all my own opinion of course). If the dollar ceases to be currency in the US then I'd have to imagine that chaos is close behind. </div></div>

+1 so I say the most precious metal is LEAD.

Laughed when I saw that twilight zone where rip van winkle wanted to trade a gold bar for water...."Why this hasn't had value since we started manufacturing it".

I've come to realize over the past year that ammo *IS* money.

Now is a BAD BAD time to buy silver or gold, the prices are HIGH.

I have 1k of silver I bought from my mom that she bought in the 70's when silver was $14 an oz.

It's still not $14 an oz and NEVEr HAS BEEN.

You will lose your ass buying precious metals right now unless the entire economy TANKS, as in worse than great depression.

When gold was $400 an oz, people bought and they are selling it now making a fortune...

But if interested I have 1000 1964 silver dimes, .998 - they may be up for sale....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have 1k of silver I bought from my mom that she bought in the 70's when silver was $14 an oz.

It's still not $14 an oz and NEVEr HAS BEEN.
</div></div>

It's over $17/oz today and has been over $14 since Sept 09.

Precious metals are a hedge against the falling dollar worldwide, which is one reason prices have steadily climed.

If gold or silver was any king of a good investment you would not be seeing it pushed and advertised all over television, radio and internet.

"Gold is at an all time high" doesn't mean crap."

I think I may actually sell my coinage - Coins are I believe $1.26 per dime today, and I have 1k of them.

So for $1262 you can have 1000 silver dimes, 1964 eisenhower and liberty dimes..

Let me dig up a photograph if interested...

If the SHTF then silver dimes are a smaller useable quantity, but they are still not lead/powder/primers..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a dumb grunt, but smart enough to know that you don't invest in markets when the prices are high.

If It were my money, I would be buying property right now, then when that goes up and gold comes back down, sell property and buy gold. Repeat process with any commodity you like.

Smart people make a lot of money when others are scared and following the masses. </div></div>

And you would be wise, re: property. In fact, I'll take you further. For reasons I'm not going to get fully into, you'd be wise to buy everything you can even almost pay for. New truck, but don't need it for a year? Buy now. Inflation, interest are both being masked. The Fed has already given the public a warning. We will have another major fin crisis, and not long off. Not scaremongering... we just have a piper to pay, and the FED has really hidden it as long as it can. Add what's about to happen in real estate this year and next and you will wish you'd gotten that low rate loan, and that low cost before the dollar's devaluation. That's why real estate is so nice right now. Rates have been forced lower when prices were dropped to reasonable. After a little inflation and time passing, those notes are going to be easy to pay off.

Metals are still good though in that if I had say 75K in cash, I would rather have 75K worth of tradable goods that don't lose value if the dollar has a catastrophic event like currency after currency has had in the past. Honestly, I think gold is still at a real price. Let's say it drops 10 percent, bfd. I can handle a worst case 10% loss. Let's say the currency drops 10%. What will have a real price that day which you can convert to? Gold and other obvious choices will skyrocket to artificial prices. What do you think gas stations will be charging, given the Katrina experience? Real estate after a devaluation? psht, rates would have just jumped like a mother on future devaluation speculation, and that 300K house you were looking at yesterday just jumped to 333K. Oh, but if you are holding that 300K note beforehand at <5% interest, guess what? You played well.

Silver or gold? If you are actually holding it personally, and not just buying rights via a broker, I might be inclined to go with silver because the dumbest crook may not steal it vs gold which immediately says "I can be fenced".

Tinfoil hat.

If the dollar goes away and you have to use silver/gold as barter material, I'd rather have ammo. If the US comes to that (which is doubtful) then I wouldn't trade you a case of ammo for a whole pound of gold. Gold is only worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it and the <span style="font-weight: bold">bare necessities will be worth more than gold at that point</span> (all my own opinion of course). If the dollar ceases to be currency in the US then I'd have to imagine that chaos is close behind. </div></div>

THIS.

Do you think someone would want gold or a brick of .22 lr (example) in barter for something else. You can't eat gold or silver. But with ammo/firearm you can feed your folks.

-Z

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diesel kinevel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whith that in mind what should I look at? </div></div>

Tinfoil hat.

If the dollar goes away and you have to use silver/gold as barter material, I'd rather have ammo. If the US comes to that (which is doubtful) then I wouldn't trade you a case of ammo for a whole pound of gold. Gold is only worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it and the <span style="font-weight: bold">bare necessities will be worth more than gold at that point</span> (all my own opinion of course). If the dollar ceases to be currency in the US then I'd have to imagine that chaos is close behind. </div></div>

THIS.

Do you think someone would want gold or a brick of .22 lr (example) in barter for something else. You can't eat gold or silver. But with ammo/firearm you can feed your folks.

-Z </div></div>

what if what you need cant be traded for with ammo? For example a medical procedure? Or to buy your way out of a bad spot. I dont think ammo will be a universal currency, and I like to have a back up plan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diesel kinevel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whith that in mind what should I look at? </div></div>

Tinfoil hat.

THIS.

-Z </div></div>

what if what you need cant be traded for with ammo? For example a medical procedure? Or to buy your way out of a bad spot. I dont think ammo will be a universal currency, and I like to have a back up plan. </div></div>

One of our members, Graham (an attorney), has a rule that one should not seek legal advise from a lay person. The same rule holds for asking financial info from a bunch of gun guys. Of course we are going to say "buy ammo." It in our DNA. Most financial advisers will tell you to diversify your investments including going to metals with a percentage. However, to look into a crystal ball and guess what will be the trading medium in Thunderdome, is an exercise in urban legendry. I would recommend that you do what will help you sleep better at night. But, please!, talk to someone who knows what they are talking about and not just trying to sell you a product.

Asking for investment advice here is nutty, but the 'buy ammo' rule isn't so bad.
smile.gif

If you do decide to buy some metals (which I would be leery of now, all those shysters with the TV ads makes me think metals have jumped the shark for new investors), stick with known coins or bars. US gold/silver eagles, canadian maples, J&M or Engelhard bars, etc. No-name bars and coins sell for less over spot, but they're harder to sell later and will sell for even less or not be trade worthy at all in a SHTF scenario. If you're just going to dabble, silver coins are easy to buy over time and easier to trade with later. 100oz bars are uber-fun to have and to hold, but make lousy currency.

Also, when picking what to buy figure out if you're buying bullion/metals or 'rare coins'. Rare coins are worth what their base metal is worth plus some random markup based on what collectors think it's worth. If you really think of a SHTF scenario where you're using your coins to buy stuff, a silver eagle you pay $17 for now will be readily identifiable as 1oz of silver later. The 1927 XYZ super-rare misprinted whatitz coin you pay $2500 for now may or may not be worth 1oz of silver to the guy you're trying to buy bread from. Sure, the 1927 XYZ may turn out to be worth $25k in 30 years and the eagle is worth $30, but that's a coin investment, not a bullion investment. They're both investments, just betting on different endings.

Also also, if you're buying from pawn shops or coin shops you can easily shop around. Some friends and I were buying 100oz bars a while back and we would go to the local shop, tell him what we were after and he would call around and see what he could get and negotiate the markup with us. If we didn't like it we could go to another shop who would call around to the same suppliers and again try to negotiate a markup. J&M bars is bars, so whoever marked them up the least won. No one (around here) really stocks anything in quantity so they're all just middlemen to those dealers we're not big enough to talk to. Don't let them trick you into thinking they've got the only bullion in town. Experience shows that doing this on the phone doesn't work as well. Show up in person with a stack of bills and they deal more.

My friend buys on-line from some of the _reputable_ web sites, and has had no problems. I've not done that myself but based on his history I wouldn't hesitate to do it if the markup is right.

Remember to diversify!

silver_and_ammo.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not a bullion dealer, or even a trader. I'm not an investor, I'm a horder!
smile.gif

Jayne,
I like the picture of your "portfolio"
smile.gif

I think the Gold and silver industry has become a new (keeping up with the Jones) you know what i mean. the middleman makes the money but if you go with it go coins the gov cant take it... i did a lot of research (a bunch ) if your serious give me a shout ill fill you in on what i know

What is the markup on those 100 oz bars over the spot price?

If you want to invest in the market and not necessarily the actual physical metals, then there are mutual funds that allow you to do so.
I played around with one a few years back and did very well with it.
That fund is now closed to new investors, but I'm sure there are others out there.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=metals&restype=mutualfund&noIL=1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Asking for investment advice here is nutty, but the 'buy ammo' rule isn't so bad.
smile.gif

If you do decide to buy some metals (which I would be leery of now, all those shysters with the TV ads makes me think metals have jumped the shark for new investors), stick with known coins or bars. US gold/silver eagles, canadian maples, J&M or Engelhard bars, etc. No-name bars and coins sell for less over spot, but they're harder to sell later and will sell for even less or not be trade worthy at all in a SHTF scenario. If you're just going to dabble, silver coins are easy to buy over time and easier to trade with later. 100oz bars are uber-fun to have and to hold, but make lousy currency.
Also, when picking what to buy figure out if you're buying bullion/metals or 'rare coins'. Rare coins are worth what their base metal is worth plus some random markup based on what collectors think it's worth. If you really think of a SHTF scenario where you're using your coins to buy stuff, a silver eagle you pay $17 for now will be readily identifiable as 1oz of silver later. The 1927 XYZ super-rare misprinted whatitz coin you pay $2500 for now may or may not be worth 1oz of silver to the guy you're trying to buy bread from. Sure, the 1927 XYZ may turn out to be worth $25k in 30 years and the eagle is worth $30, but that's a coin investment, not a bullion investment. They're both investments, just betting on different endings.

Also also, if you're buying from pawn shops or coin shops you can easily shop around. Some friends and I were buying 100oz bars a while back and we would go to the local shop, tell him what we were after and he would call around and see what he could get and negotiate the markup with us. If we didn't like it we could go to another shop who would call around to the same suppliers and again try to negotiate a markup. J&M bars is bars, so whoever marked them up the least won. No one (around here) really stocks anything in quantity so they're all just middlemen to those dealers we're not big enough to talk to. Don't let them trick you into thinking they've got the only bullion in town. Experience shows that doing this on the phone doesn't work as well. Show up in person with a stack of bills and they deal more.

My friend buys on-line from some of the _reputable_ web sites, and has had no problems. I've not done that myself but based on his history I wouldn't hesitate to do it if the markup is right.

Remember to diversify!

silver_and_ammo.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not a bullion dealer, or even a trader. I'm not an investor, I'm a horder!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Excellent advice, and lovely portfolio. Thanks

An interesting site is Kitco.com. gives up to the minute spot rates on metals, Silver, gold, platinum, Rhodium with all kinds of historical charts. I bought a couple of gold liberty $1000 dollar coins last year, one at $950, and one at $1000, and gold is spotting at $1130 or so today. Down from a recent $1300. Like anything else do your homework, and buy from REPUTABLE dealers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the markup on those 100 oz bars over the spot price? </div></div>

Looks like about $1 as of today. Compare that to the $3.50 (!) they're charging over spot for silver eagles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what if what you need cant be traded for with ammo? For example a medical procedure? Or to buy your way out of a bad spot. I dont think ammo will be a universal currency, and I like to have a back up plan.</div></div>

I think in your case, you would be well served to buy a few hundred bucks worth of junk silver coins. This has been the main stay for years for those who are looking for a hedge and are not interested in market value. The theory is that if the normal currency exchange falls apart for any number of reasons, face silver will reach an equilibrium of value. This theory works because the trade medium is based on real, inherent content, not just a promissory piece of paper.

Glad I bought when I did, 1k of junk silver dimes - for that very reason Dave - ya just never know...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diesel kinevel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR338nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whith that in mind what should I look at? </div></div>

Tinfoil hat.

THIS.

-Z </div></div>

what if what you need cant be traded for with ammo? For example a medical procedure? Or to buy your way out of a bad spot. I dont think ammo will be a universal currency, and I like to have a back up plan. </div></div>

I never said not to have a backup plan, and of course there isn't one single cure all for a problem. It is my belief though, that in a time of severe SHTF, ammo and a weapon would be great for bartering. Also in said senario I think medical procedures in any sort of medical facility by someone qualified can be pretty much be ruled out. Everyone is going to be with their families/neighbors trying to survive.

-Z