• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Simmons mil-dot scopes

Shiraz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
Land of the Free
I debated putting this in the .22 rimfire section, since I'm looking for a new scope for a rimfire, but decided the Optics section would be the best to start. But this scope may end up on a .308

Any info on Simmons mil-dots scopes?( I searched, didn't get my answers, sorry)

Do they have a repeatable zero?(twist it up and down, side to side, and still return to it's zero?)

Do the 'clicks' = true adjustment?

How is the glass for the price?

What are the knobs like? put a nickle in and twist?? target turrets?

any other observations?
These scopes don't get much love here it looks like.
comments?

durrability?

thanks
Here are all the Simmons mildots

Simmons Aetec
4-14x44
Side focus/parallax
Sun shade
¼ @100y
60 MOA adjustment
Model #512104T
Price ~$200

Simmons 44MAG
6-21x44
Side focus/parallax
Sun shade
Target turrets
1/8 @100y
45 MOA adjustment
Model #441056
Price~$150

Simmons 44MAg
6-24x44
Side focus/parallax
Sun shade
1/8@100y
45 MOA adjustment
Model #447703
Price~$160

Re: Simmons mil-dot scopes

from what i have read on here, and from personal use i would stay away from the simmons, and go w/ a vortex crossfire. you can get them from swfa on the sample list for $90.

You forgot the Whitetail classic series. IMHO if you were going to get a simmons that's what I would go with. I had one on an el cheapo AR15 for a while for varmint removal and worked alright. The glass was not that great but it did track and was repeatable. I got it from Midway...they are running a sale on them now. I would look around the forums and see if there is another sponsor who could hook you up with a deal first though.

i had a simmons atec 6.5x20 on a savge 110 and it was to say the least sub par. i would not buy another one. i never had true tracking out of the scope, ang the glass is exactly what you would expect it would be. just my opinion

Most people here are running high end glass.

I have Simmons WTC on a .22 for under $100 it works, and works well. Has decent glass.

Have one of the older 44mags, 6.5-20x44 mil-dot on a PCP air rifle, the glass is about the same as the WTC.

The 44mag has Target turrets. I did not twist the turrets up and down to check repeatability. I use the mil-dots for distance. Set it and forget it.

On a .22 either will do. One thing about the 44mag(the one I have)the mil-dots are big. If you are hunting small game like squirrels the dots may cover the game.

Not the best glass but for the money they work.

More money, you get better glass.

If you don`t want to spend $200 to $300, the WTC (non-mil-dot)
will work.

I can`t speak on the newer 44mags. The older ones are available on ebay.

I'm not sure its true of the scopes you listed but the other Simmons 44mag and Aetec have been branded under several other names. Intensity optices for one on both series and Weaver now with their 40/44. The Phillipies plant produces scopes under contract that have carried Nikon, Weaver, INtensity, and Simmons labels at the retail level in the USA.

After reading how nice the Intensity scopes were I saw them in a local shop (for ~$200) and I have to admit they are pretty nice, I was looking through Buckmasters and Burris. These were the old Aetec line, 3.8-10s, etc. I ordered a Intensity 6.5-20x44 which is suppost to be like the old Simmons 44mag line. For $89 it is VERY nice. I bought it for a 22, but after using it I dumped the Super Sniper on my 700p and put it there. No mildots but pretty good glass, great knobs with turn counters, etc. I kept more tactical scopes on other rifles but would like to do longer distance shooting in future with it. I don't know if this carries over for the other newer Simmons line though. The $89 Intensity 6.5-20s are gone now but you can basically the same scope in the Weaver 40/44 with different reticles for high $100s. If I could go back I would have bought another 3-4 of the Intensity ones.

Thanks TOP PREDATOR for the info.

So Bushnell owns Simmons? Bushnell also owns Millett or that is what the Bushnell CS rep told me today.

From the comments in the linked post, it didn't sound like many were cranking on the knob like one would do shooting rimfire from 50 to 300 yards. In your experiance will the scope return to zero?

Also when you crank the knob an MOA, does the POI move about an MOA?

Is the Whitetail Classic still in production? They are not listed on the Simmons web page but are listed for sale at MidwayUSA. Was this a scope specialy marketed by midway?

thanks again.