• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Simple, effective range finder, which one?

Mike 556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2018
Northeast PA
I'm new to long range, have been practicing with the mill dot master and reticle on my Razor. I looking for a simple, easy to use range finder to use along with and confirm my ranging with the mil dot master. Like with almost anything today, there is just too much to choose from, it's confusing! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also probably will be ranging out to 1,000 to 1,200 yards. Mostly steel and some hunting.
Mike

Last edited:
I'm still of the opinion that the Sig Kilo2000 is a helluva kickass range finder for the price.

Well I would be looking at the Bushnell ConX and the sig 2200 and either the Leica 1600 or 2000b models after that the prices jump up steeply like the Gunwerks G7 BR2500 and the Terrapin X due out shortly and the leica 2700 or the sig 2400, But due to the issues sig had with the 2000 model I would avoid that one,

Hope that helps.

I didn't know the 2000's had issues. Mines been great.
It's a great rangefinder but they had about a 60%+ failure rate so the 2200 was offered which is a good lrf but the glass is not the same as in the 2400, I might add that those who have had a good 2000 have been very happy with them, So if yours is ok then life is good. (y)

Reactions: demolitionman
Will give both the 2200 and ConX a hard look. Thanks for all the replies.
Mike
The sig can range along way but is limited as to what it can do and another thing to be aware of is if you live/shoot where it rains a lot or there is a risk of falling in the water then it is not the best option. but if it is nice and dry then it's all good.

The sig can range along way but is limited as to what it can do and another thing to be aware of is if you live/shoot where it rains a lot or there is a risk of falling in the water then it is not the best option. but if it is nice and dry then it's all good.

Hey John, just spent the morning setting up and playing with my new ConX! I think I've ranged everything in site two or three times! Best 300 bucks I've spent in a while. I love it! Thanks for all your help and guidance.
Mike

Reactions: MilDot1960
Hey John, just spent the morning setting up and playing with my new ConX! I think I've ranged everything in site two or three times! Best 300 bucks I've spent in a while. I love it! Thanks for all your help and guidance.
Mike
Congrats Mike, glad I could help, It is impressive once you get use to aiming it, that little red circle does show a person how much they shake but the hard part is to keep it steady,

Keep zapping things because the more you use it the better your ranging will be,

good luck Mike and let us know how you get on. (y)

John.

Reactions: Mike 556
Any reason to go w/ the Bushnell binocular over the ConX?
Not really, although they are good but the ConX does so much more and you can cheat with how you use it compared to the Bino's or the Elite 1 Mile, there are at leased 6 or 7 ways that you can use the ConX.

hope that helps,

John.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I just see that someone was Zapping Coyotes in the Snow with his ConX at 1416yds, That's pretty awesome for such a small target,

Mike
Hey Mike, how are you getting on with your ConX ?

John.

Hey John,
There's not much around here that I haven't ranged! I'm learning the nuances of the rangefinder, pretty straight forward. It's an amazing piece of equipment! I love it. It's really helping me with my ranging with the mill scope. I'll range something with the scope, do the math, then check with the ConX to see how close I got with the scope. I'm getting better with the scope because of the rangefinder. I got out to a little over 1200 yards, im good to around 5 to 600 yards, after that I have to have a stable platform for the rangefinder, I guess I drink too much coffee! Right now I'm following the numerous treads on tripods, will be purchasing one shortly. Again, Thanks for all your help, you pointed me in the right direction.
Mike

Hey John,
There's not much around here that I haven't ranged! I'm learning the nuances of the rangefinder, pretty straight forward. It's an amazing piece of equipment! I love it. It's really helping me with my ranging with the mill scope. I'll range something with the scope, do the math, then check with the ConX to see how close I got with the scope. I'm getting better with the scope because of the rangefinder. I got out to a little over 1200 yards, im good to around 5 to 600 yards, after that I have to have a stable platform for the rangefinder, I guess I drink too much coffee! Right now I'm following the numerous treads on tripods, will be purchasing one shortly. Again, Thanks for all your help, you pointed me in the right direction.
Mike
Cool Mike, Just control your breathing but don't hold your breath or after a few seconds it will magnify your heartbeat.

Have you got your self a Mildot Master yet ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike 556
Cool Mike, Just control your breathing but don't hold your breath or after a few seconds it will magnify your heartbeat.

Have you got your self a Mildot Master yet ?

Yes John, the mil dot master is another arrow in the quiver, again it's a pretty awesome ranging aid. Just like ranging with the scope, it's only as accurate as the target size estimate. I'm getting much better at estimating the target size. Like most anything, the more you do something the better you get. The only problem with the ConX is I could be lazy and just rely on that, it's easy!! But I'd really like to have options, and learn to range with multiple methods. And your spot on with the breathing, I've found that using the ConX is much like shooting, being able to control your breathing pays big dividends
Mike
image.jpg

Good well done,

As you know how to use the Mildot Master and range with the rifle scope, IE.

Man = 72" X 27.778 = 2000 divided by 4 (Mdots) = 500 yards etc

well to find out how big the Item is Range it with the ConX and see how many Mildots it is with your scope So what you end up doing is this

ConX says 500 yds Scope says 4 (Mdots) SO that's 500 X 4 = 2000 divided by 27.778 = 72" Tall , You can use this method to measure anything in order to draw maps etc with the use of a Compass you can draw very accurate Maps, it works on people, Road widths, Buildings you name it it will work out. Ok.

Good luck mate.

John.

I'm sure the more I use the ConX, the more uses I'll discover. The formula you just gave is extremely useful and valuable. You know this thing inside and out, you should give classes. To become proficient with this tool is I M O, a tremendous asset to have.
Mike