• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Simple fix for loose primer pockets...

SPECR

Minuteman
Sep 7, 2011
Bay Area, CA
I had a few Nosler cases with loose primer pockets from load development for my 6.5 RSAUM. It hurt to simply throw them away after doing all the prep work. I started looking into all the threads about using superglue, nail polish, and the RCBS Swagger tool. I decided to try the swagger tool since I already had it for removing the military crimps. After repeated attempts with it, the pocket was no tighter. Then thinking about how the military crimp was imparted on the pocket to retain a primer, I decided to try it myself.

Now, I'm crimping the brass before the placement of the primer, NOT after. By pushing the inside lip around the primer pocket down, it decreases the diameter of the upper part of the pocket. So when I insert the primer via hand tool, it's snug again.

So using the RCBS Swagger kit, mount it INVERTED with the large rod installed to support the brass case.
photo4_zpsf5b89c30.jpg

Then place your brass on top of the rod. Now using the small rod included with the kit for small primers and center it over you pocket. Give it couple of light smacks with a small hammer. The rod will sink in the brass about .3mm.
photo3_zpse401d589.jpg

Now wiggle it out and hand load a primer. If you screw up, you can always restore the pocket shape with the swagger kit.
photo2_zps773f2a76.jpg

photo1_zps580672b3.jpg

I take no responsibility for damage to yourself, your gun, or your brass. Try at your own risk. It worked for me.

Last edited:
Maybe you have lose pockets because you're massively over pressure judging by the extremely prominent ejector "mark" in your second to last picture. If you've weakened the pocket that much there very well might be other strength issues with that brass. I'd lower my load and chuck that stuff

Yup, I went a bit high on a test load due to too much neck tension. That's all sorted out... Thanks.

Actually, the pocket depth is still the same. Only the edge of the upper part of the pocket is folded inward.
photo_zps322265d8.jpg

Last edited:
I had a loaded rd with .2955 and with an actual space of .296. That and the higher charge weight lead to the over pressure. I've since neck turned it down.

It's just a solution to increase pocket tension for those people who resorted to adhesives or Tula primers(slightly oversized) to gain a few more firings out of their brass.

I happen to have a few pieces that I sidelined from overcharges that I decided to test an idea with. I won't circulate it with my normal brass but I might use them for fouling shots. Thanks for the advice and the concerns.

Well I like the concept and can see an application for some types of brass that are known to experience loose primer pockets even with regular loads. We've all seen it. This looks like a mechanically correct solution that should be usable if one wanted to take the time to do this. As long as you know the case itself is sound.

casehead separation in 3...2...1.....

Probably not a case head separation but enough leakage around the pocket to really ruin a bolt face. Maybe even enough to send some hot and nasty gas into the shooter's face.

"Hotrodding" loads has it's price. I'd just get some new brass and dial back the load(s).

Reactions: LG65CM
I think a lot of folks are missing the point here. The guy acknowledged that he messed up the cases with a too high pressure load. There's no need to bring it up seven times!

The technique is what he is sharing and it's actually pretty clever. I have seen dies that do the job in a different manner, but a lot of folks already have these swagers on hand and can try this at no cost. Thanks for sharing.

I have always thought it would be nice for one of the primer manufacturer's to sell primers that were a couple thou oversize on diameter and list them as "Oversize primers".

There have been a few tools made over the years to tighten loose primer pockets. I think Hart made one of them. Most reports show that this is temporary. But experimenting is the way that we discover new methods. Personally I scrap brass with loose pockets. Yeah, it hurts to scrap an expensive case. Better than scrapping a bolt.

Reactions: LG65CM
I'm new to reloading but here is my thinking from what I have learned face to face and from reading about reloading. If this were me, I'd know I had an over pressure problem showing not just one sign but two signs of high pressure. So, I know I have a case, brass, damaged by pressure. I also know I need to reduce my powder charge so I will generate less pressure when I next reload using an undamaged (by pressure) piece of brass.

I would not reload a pressure damaged piece of brass even with a reduced charge. Yes, my charge will probably bring me back to or under SAAMI specs, but, I do not know my damaged brass will tolerate even that reduced pressure. I don't know how much or little pressure the damaged case will stand.

For the price of brass , to me, it is not worth the risk. Been taught that if the primer pockets get loose to let loose of that piece of brass. My thinking is that brass pocket was constructed where the brass is the thickest and strongest.

To end on an upbeat (fun) note I'll bastardize a saying from my day job industry: 'There are old reloaders and there are bold reloaders, but there are no old, bold reloaders.' Peace, lg :)