• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Simple Green instead of Dawn soap....anyone tried?

ProudKiwi

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2010
New Zealand
Guys,

Has anyone tried Simple Green in their tumbler using Cory's Stainless Tumbling Media?

Dawn soap is not available in New Zealand and from what I understand it's the surfactants (sic?) that do the cleaning. Simple Green seems to be the strongest in that area of products that are available in NZ.

Or should I just try a bog standard off the supermarket shelf dish soap?

Cheers

Glen

Re: Simple Green instead of Dawn soap....anyone tried?

Any liquid dish soap will work. It doesn't have to be Dawn. I use Palmolive because that's what my wife uses.

I also use whatever dish soap is currently under the counter. They all work fine.

Simple Green full strength can be pretty strong. I left it full power on a Harley primary cover (aluminum) and it etched the surface. Not sure what its affect would be on brass, just throwing it out there.

The strong detergents such as Simple Green may be highly basic...that erodes aluminum. It may discolor brass, but probably won't etch it.

Thank you for the feedback gents. Palmolive it is.

Actually, you have it right that all you need is a surfactant because that softens the carbon so the bits of metal can scrub the surfaces clean. There is no magic in Dawn, you can get equal results with virtually any soap, even a few shaved bits from hand soap bars.