• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision SIMRAD: sight-in question?

jet_lagged

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
WA, The Evergreen State (KBFI)
I have and old (naturally) ex-police Simrad and was trying to adjust the zero on it today using the up/down and left/right external adjustment screws today. I believe that they are ¼ moa? Turning them in the needed direction did not change the point of impact while sighting via the daytime/bottom port, (with the huge Simard night lens being covered).

I was thinking that they move a prism or something internally that affects the view, no matter if it being viewed via the day port or the night light gather lens…….

So, are they likely just not working, or do they really only affect the night time lens, so any real adjustment needs to be done while shooting at night?

Thanks.

I didn't have to adjust mine, so take this for what it's worth.I

But from what I understand the idea is to wait till sundown,

open the lenses cap over the little port directly in line with your scope

Find a light source at a distance

Adjust until the light source through the I2 and the scope are aligned and you have one image.

Hope this makes sense.

I didn't have to adjust mine, so take this for what it's worth.I

But from what I understand the idea is to wait till sundown,

open the lenses cap over the little port directly in line with your scope

Find a light source at a distance

Adjust until the light source through the I2 and the scope are aligned and you have one image.

Hope this makes sense.

I've never heard of this and it is definitely not what the Simrad manual says. Is it a KN203 or KN253?

I have a 253 and a 203. I dial 1.1 MIL up on the day optic that runs the 203 and then made the needed adjustments on the simrad to make poi meet poa. From then on, I just dial the 1.1 MIL to the day optic when I mount the simrad. For the 253 I use the same process but a .8 MIL adjustment to the day optic. For both rifle/simrad combos I have a second profile on the kestrel with the height over bore set from the center of simrad to center of bore.

Attachments

• Simrad 2.jpg
    Simrad 2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Simrad 1.jpg
    Simrad 1.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 43
I have and old (naturally) ex-police Simrad and was trying to adjust the zero on it today using the up/down and left/right external adjustment screws today. I believe that they are ¼ moa? Turning them in the needed direction did not change the point of impact while sighting via the daytime/bottom port, (with the huge Simard night lens being covered).

I was thinking that they move a prism or something internally that affects the view, no matter if it being viewed via the day port or the night light gather lens…….

So, are they likely just not working, or do they really only affect the night time lens, so any real adjustment needs to be done while shooting at night?

Thanks.

0.50 MOA
an easy diagram for Collimation, Left side and Right side knobs .
-
SIMRAD Columat. .50 MOA.jpg

-

For 203 Dial 1 mil or 3.75 MOA (.7 mil 2.75 MOA for 253) on your elevation turret, then zero by shooting your Simrad at night at 100 yards, not with the silly little see through thing. Magic, your Simrad is collimated and you can dial a mil on any optic to pop it in front of and she’s good to go. Hold or dial additional dope from there and have a separate ballistic profile for the height over bore of the Simrad unit.

Here is my dumbed down method...

Zero day scope per normal
Add a laser to side of rifle
Aim at a distant plate after dark and set laser to match scope center
Add simrad
Adjust simrad until it matches the laser

Shoot stuff
Laser is your best friend for sure . Every time I go out at night , 1st thing I do .. Clip-on the pvs-9 .. pick object 100 yrd. away .. look threw scope., and hit the Laser .
If the laser dot is center on the Ret. 100 yrd. POA .. I Know and have peace of mind that it all GTG .

Last edited:
For 203 Dial 1 mil or 3.75 MOA (.7 mil 2.75 MOA for 253) on your elevation turret, then zero by shooting your Simrad at night at 100 yards, not with the silly little see through thing. Magic, your Simrad is collimated and you can dial a mil on any optic to pop it in front of and she’s good to go. Hold or dial additional dope from there and have a separate ballistic profile for the height over bore of the Simrad unit.
I am still shooting the shit out of that SS turn-in/referb. pvs-9, that I got off you several years back .

this.....