• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Sinclair 3rd Gen bipod review

Denys

Turbulent Optics Student
Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2012
    Texas
    I had a chance to go shoot with my new bipod this weekend. I have been using the Sinclair Gen2 bipod for about 4 years now and I was intrigued by the adjustable elevation of the Gen3 model.

First the weights according to my digital postal scale: The gen2 weighs in at 2.17 lbs. The gen3 weighs 1.96 lbs, with the elevation adjustment.

I have always considered the gen2 model to be solid and not prone to bounce or torque like with a Harris type. It is not a bipod that needs or even wants to be "loaded." I find it best to just let it do its job.

The gen3 mounts on the rifle the same way the gen3 does, but I noticed the knurled knob of the elevation adjustment screw can leave gouges on your knuckles as you tighten the two wingnuts. Once mounted, it is quite solid.

I found that I could actually twist the arms of the gen3 when I was tightening the leg height adjustments. That's something that never happened on the gen2.

Finally, I used the bipod to shoot on a concrete platform to see if there would be any bounce or torque compared to the gen2. I am happy to say that it performed beautifully in that respect. It's as solid as the gen2, and the results spoke volumes.

I played with the elevation adjustment and I like it very much. I think it's well done and it does make the bipod easier to use and stay on target.

This bipod is a keeper.

Re: Sinclair 3rd Gen bipod review

I was looking at the Sinclair 3rd Gen. I bought a Werks bipod this week. I've never used a Werks but have watched them in action and they seem to do well.

May be looking for a Sinclair 2nd Generation for my wife, hint, hint.... first and formost I need to put a rifle together for her.

Good luck finding one. I'm keeping mine as backup. I still make weight with it, but with only a precious few ounces to spare.

I seen a Gen. 3 over on 6br today for 220.00, it sold quick.

Another Gen 3 sold over on 6br this week for 215.00.
    Denys, which of the Sinclairs do you like the best? I shot my Werks last weekend and it is very solid and stays on target easily, no hop, just like you said with the Sinclair, let it do it's thing.

I have had the gen2 for over 3 years, as soon as it came out. I've shot maybe 50 matches with it and it has worked fine. I have shot exactly one match with the gen 3 and I like it a lot also, I really like the elevation adjustment thing.

I am keeping the gen 2 for now as backup.

I found a Gen 2 last night over @ a pistol site that I go to for 185.00 SHIPPED....Shoud be here first of next week.........
    eek.gif

What do you think the major advantages are of the Sinclair over the Harris. Been using Harris for years and they are fine but have been looking at the Sinclair for my latest build.

When I got my first Sinclair bipod about 5 years ago, I had to adapt to it. Up to that time, I was loading the bipod and dealing with the recoil disturbances by performing a good follow through.

The Sinclair bipod does not need, or like, to be loaded; it's job is to cradle the rifle by the fore end. The legs are wide apart, and do not come up under the rifle itself, so there is no twisting or hop when the rifle fires. The rifle comes back easily if it rides on a bag. I found that with a hunting style stock, the rifle will tend to submarine under my shoulder as it recoils on the rear bag and that will cause the stock to go away from me and the muzzle will go left. That's easily controlled with follow through and a proper hold.

On my latest rifle, I used a stock from PR&T and the bottom of the stock is much more flat with the slightest hint of a slope. This allows the rifle to recoil straight into my shoulder and the rifle stays on target. I can see my target at 42X the whole time. This makes it easier for me to go through a string, not having to coax the rifle to stay straight or having to put it back for every shoot. Follow through is still critical, but it's much easier to stay on target. I let the bipod do the work and all I do is guide it.

The 3rd Gen has been working fine for me now for about a half-dozen matches. I like the elevation adjustment, but I find that I don't use it as much as you would think. I set everything up to be on target properly at the beginning of the string and it's rear bag action only for the entire string.

I've heard the term loading your bipod a few times, what does that mean? Sorry for the ignorance

You plant the bipod on the ground, get behind the rifle then you put some forward pressure on the rifle and the bipod become a little bit more stable and controllable under recoil. With the Sinclair, I don't load the bipod, I just let the stock get to my shoulder and drive the rifle with the left hand and pull the trigger with the right hand.

thats what I thought thanks! Last question for you guys does the sinclair have a pan feature or is there an easy adapter that allows your a 20 degree pan?

My two Sinclairs do not have such a feature. I don't even understand why you would want that for F-TR.

denys thank for your review i'vr been on the fence on weather to keep shooting my harris or step up to a sinclair .one thing i have heard/read is that you may have to change your shooting style when you shoot with a sinclair what changes are they talking about ? just going from preloading a bipod to more or less free recoil style? (i preload now).

the thing i like is the ease of set up i have a scope level and seem to fight the spring on my harris to get it level in the begining of my set up verses holding to level then loosining the arms and letting them drop.

I'm interested in F/TR but not completely I still like to do quick fire drills at multiple targets and that pan feature is a huge help so the legs dont jump when you shift. I think the sinclair is the best option for both but I would like to find an attachment that would allow that pan

I plucked this from Sinclair's web site.

l_749013031_1.jpg

Hopefully Brownells/Sinclairs has some coupon codes coming out soon. I would love to get one of these.

I just received my Gen3, but my rifle is currently being upgraded by Chad Dixon so it will be several weeks before I can test it out. It is a beauty though.