• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sinclair/Wilson Ultimate trimmer...help!

captnmo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Fort Lewis, WA
After about four months of waiting, I finally got this trimmer in the mail. I went to set it up and found that I would tighten the thumb screw that locks the micrometer in place and I could still easily rotate the micrometer. I get a slight (emphasize "slight") bit of resistance but its not significant. Is this normal?

I spoke with a tech rep and he said to send it in for repairs. I haven't even used the damn thing. Overall my experience with Sinclair has been poor and this might be the last straw. I could expound but just want my trimmer to work if its not already. I could be the exception but I'm thinking of just returning the thing and just ordering direct from L.E. Wilson.

Re: Sinclair/Wilson Ultimate trimmer...help!

I've never had anything but great service from Sinclair. My trimmer doesn't have the micrometer so I can't help you with that.

That's what I've heard about Sinclair, so maybe I'm just unlucky. May try to find a .15 cent thumb screw at Home Depot if maybe the one it came with is too short and not engaging the ball bearing enough.

My Wilson trimmer is the best precision trimmer that I have ever used. But I also don't have the micrometer adjustments. Is that an add-on made by Sinclair?

Hi, captnmo. I've got the same Ultimate trimmer and my micrometer locks down solid. I've always got great service from Sinclair before and after Brownells.

Joe

+ 1 on the bad expernice with sinclair , they suck.

Like you captnmo, I just received my trimmer,been on order since July, also with the same issue.I beleive the screw may be saturated in oil along with the thimble.I was told that they had problems with their suppliers getting these done so Im not giving up that easy on it. Clean it well to remove the oil,that will definitely help.If you change out the screw just make sure you dont over tighten the thing and damage the thimble.
Let us know how you fix yours.......cant get to mine till Saturday

Mark

BBeyer, there's a ball bearing underneath the thumbscrew that locks down the adjustment setting by the micrometer. Keeps the users setting in place while trimming. It's as almost the screw is not long enough to press down on the ball bearing enough to put tension on the barrel and lock it.

Nessal, yes, Singlair created a Wilson trimmer with a micrometer adjustment....supposedly the best thing to come along in precision case trimming.

The ball bearing is there, but I tighten as much as I can by hand, until it stops, without using a wrench and it just doesn't lock the micrometer setting in place. Like the thumb screw isn't long enough to press down enough on the bearing that contacts the barrel.

koodbe, sounds like you and I got in on the same lot. I know Sinclair is better than this, but I just don't want to deal with them at this point. After multiple phone calls, email promotions telling me the product was in stock without it being shipped to me (having been on backorder for three months), on sale for less than I purchase it for (in July). Probably just going to return it for a refund. Been waiting since July for a product that doesn't seem to work out of the box. I shouldn't have to send it in for repairs so soon.

Update: Sent it in to be looked at at the direction of one of their tech reps. They've been real good about taking care of this so far and are willing to refund me the cost of the shipment back. So Sinclair is doing right by me.

Glad to hear there standing behind there product, and making things right for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update: Sent it in to be looked at at the direction of one of their tech reps. They've been real good about taking care of this so far and are willing to refund me the cost of the shipment back. So Sinclair is doing right by me. </div></div>

Sucks this has happened to you BUT rest assured when you get the product back, you will have the best precision trimmer on the market. Sure its not the fastest however It cuts the squarest and is one of the easiest piece of equipment you can use.

I have had mine for two years with the micrometer and its the best thing i did. works fantastic.

Last follow up. Just got my trimmer back and works fantastic. Glad I invested in this. I got a call from the guy that worked on it and was more than happy to address my issues. He was very patient and ended up replacing the micrometer assembly and it does work a lot better.

Sinclair is GTG!