• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sinclair's New Bump Gauge.....

JLM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2008
WY
Well, I can't seem to resist the 'shiny' stuff in Sinclair's catalog so I decided to order one of their new Shoulder Bump Gauges in .30 cal to try out.

Up until now I have been using the Hornady LNL Cartridge Headspace Set, which is a GREAT tool for measuring shoulder bump. Intuitive and easy to use.

I have to say thou, IMO, the Sinclair insert is a big improvement. The machine work and material quality is much better than the Hornady 2. The BIGGEST benefit: having the insert itself machined to match the the shoulder angle of the case. The #1 thing this does is serve to square the case head up to the blade of your calipers to ensure you get accurate and repeatable measurements.

Plus if you already have a Hornady Comparator body, all you need to order is the insert and you are GTG.

For those that aren't familiar with either tool here are pics of both the inserts, so you can see what I'm talking about. The first is the Hornady and the second pic is the Sinclair insert:

Hornady:

2qc0ab6.jpg

Sinclair insert in Hornady Body:

xeetu8.jpg

Anyway thought I'd let you gents know about these. The only issue as far as I can see is that if you want to gauge loaded rounds, you need the longer Comparator Body, which Sinclair sells as well. You can gauge loaded rounds with the Hornady 'as is'. To me thou the quality of the Sinclair insert more than makes up for this.

With the Hornady, I have to fiddle around with the case to square the case head to the blade of the caliper, and that's a non issue with these inserts.

Anyway, the question of bumping shoulders comes up a lot here, so I thought I'd give you all a heads up about another option out there.

Re: Sinclair's New Bump Gauge.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I can't seem to resist the 'shiny' stuff in Sinclair's catalog so I decided to order one of their new Shoulder Bump Gauges in .30 cal to try out.

Up until now I have been using the <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Hornady LNL Cartridge Headspace Set</span></span>, which is a GREAT tool for measuring shoulder bump. Intuitive and easy to use.

</div></div>

I was curious about of photo of this -- to compare it with the photo of the sinclair part you posted.

OH BTW - - the mama on the left is pretty hot !!

Well, you are looking at it its the top pic
laugh.gif

Or, follow the link to Sinclair.

Yeah, picked up a set of these as well with the latest Sinclair catalog (my wife hates it when those catalogs show up)! I really like them as well...... Much better than anything out there and frankly like their usability better than the RCBS precision mics. Add the benefit that Sinclair stocks an Ackley Improved gage as well! Nice gear and RCBS Precision mics near to being posted for sale.

OK ---- now I got it. Thanks.

I thought JC Whitney was out of business ?

The Hot Mama add is better than the automotive parts adds !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man, U should earn a commission. I just ordered one up just now because of u ! </div></div>

We can order the Hot Mama ????

I think you guys will like them. I'm very pleased with mine.

Bear with my newbness; so this will give an accurate measurement of how much "bump" you are pushing back on the shoulder. Does this eliminate or lessen the way of resizing where you resize and see how hard the bolt closes and adjust from there? Am I making sense? I need to order from them and trying to see if this is necessary toy
grin.gif

yes, you can measure delta on the shoulder pre and post bump

so in my case, after popping the cherry on the brass the first time, measure. then bump say .001 back. but in reality i neck size, let it grow a few times, then bump the shoulder back until its .001 from the first fire formed length

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bear with my newbness; so this will give an accurate measurement of how much "bump" you are pushing back on the shoulder. Does this eliminate or lessen the way of resizing where you resize and see how hard the bolt closes and adjust from there? Am I making sense? I need to order from them and trying to see if this is necessary toy
grin.gif
</div></div>

Yes you are on the right track. It allows you to take a relative measure of where your shoulder WAS (fire formed) and where it IS after you size your case in your FL. I bump mine back around .002 for my bolt gun.

HTH.